Carpe Coffeam

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Carpe Coffeam

Postby Cavesa » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:14 pm

Trying to keep studying. But unfortunately, procrastination due to self sabotaging is really attacking me all the time and making me highly inefficient. I've probably stopped believing I could succeed. I know what I want, but I fear it to be impossible, I've simply failed far too many times in the last decade (really, something broke in me during medschool, and I am failing to fix that. I even know what it was, that broke a person that had been supposed to shine and be among the best, I just cannot undo it.). And the fact some of the failures were absolutely none of my fault doesn't change anything (like the Belgians systematically discriminating EU candidates and giving us places only in case of lack of a quantity of Belgians. Quality doesn't matter). I feel that I will fail no matter what I do, so why I even try. And I know how stupid it is, from the rational point of view. I fear I will get just some worthless trash job even in the Switzerland, like general medicine or psychiatry, or perhaps public health or any other such trash that I haven't tried yet. It hurts.

It makes learning German+medicine very hard. Intensive reading with Anki actually works pretty well, but only if one really does put the time in. Making cards takes time. Learning them should be good, each card should reinforce others.

Frankly speaking, I felt the same even before my German exams. I could have gotten so much more out of my time! I did rather well, given the effort, I passed. I am actually still quite talented, just constantly self sabotaging. I could have achieved much more without that behaviour.

How I use Anki this time:

I am making cloze deletion cards. I am testing myself on vocabulary, whole words or half words (it makes sense, in dealing with the tons of composed words), on grammar (to practice applying the grammar in medical context and on the new vocab), on medical stuff in dire need of reviewing. Any paragraph from my textbook Innere Medizin is the source for 15-50 close deletion cards.

Let's see how it goes. Sorry about the self rant. It had to get out and might be erased later.
8 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:28 pm

Trying to get back on track with Medical German. What got me of it? A concours to get a residency place in Belgium, that I studied for (and yes, recuperation from that on fun stuff that I am fortunately getting bored with :-D ). The chances are very small, due to discrimination in place, and I don't want this anyways (I am really beginning to hate Belgium, and the residency here would put me to the worst parts of it). But I sent in the already made paperwork to use it, I am gathering experience and might get a nice small internship out of it, to put on my CV.

But it was good practice of stress situtations and it made me revise a lot of medical stuff and relearn. I really miss real medicine so much! I want to do the logical medicine based on science and with high impact on lives, not the stupid approximative and highly social work. It is so refreshing, to actually think about the patophysiology of a problem, and not about stuff like compliance problems, cultural problems, economic problems, lying and abuse of my work to futher abuse the scial system, etc. I want to do real medicine.

For that, I need German, I know. But my Medical German is hard to get back to. I find that lack of German coursebook in my routine is now really blocking me, as I need to work on stuff like grammar but right now don't have anything on my short list of resources.

So, change for this week: Resources: Innere Medizin, Daf Kompakt memrise course, Grammatik Aktiv. I hope to really move with my intensive reading and ankiing of Innere Medizin, and reasonably with the two others.

Progress bars to be added in the next post
5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:04 pm

German minutes: 150 / 840
Innere Medizin: 32 min + 30 min +30
DaF kompakt memrise: 15 min + 16 +19
Grammatik Aktiv: 8

not sure whether these two will get my attention:
Italian minutes: 0 / 630
Spanish minutes: 0 / 300
Last edited by Cavesa on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:17 pm

And btw, I got to use Spanish at work today. It is less common around here, than Italian. But still pretty useful. I am sooo rusty! :-D Spanish is unfortunately my weakest Romance language now. But how I got to use it: We needed to communicate with a patient. I can't speak Arabic, he can't speak much French. He asked whether I speak Spanish, so it was ok :-)

It is very nice most people around here don't have English as the default alternative, only a few do. The patient I use English with came today as well. I speak like a moron. It is not just lack of practice, it is also the tons of language switching I am doing, and a thing I already described in a log years ago: I really adapt too much to whom I am speaking to. People around me can drag me up or down very easily, language quality wise. It's neither a huge advantage, nor a huge fault. It is just something I need to count with. If someone heard me speaking the job English like today, I guess you wouldn't even connect that person with the one writing this post in rather normal English :-D

Btw about my French accent: I sometimes get taken for a non native right away. But sometimes (and not only by people, who have no clue), I get taken for a native from somewhere far away. (Of course I won't pass for someone from your own town or village, that's normal). Several people have guessed Marseille. Which is pretty funny, as that's one of the regions of France, that I haven't even visited yet :-D
10 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:05 pm

I've just made a new Kwiziq account, as it is impossible to just restart the course and I have forgotten too much Spanish. The dg test placed me to B2, which is funny and a bit sad. I know that my rl skills are even worse than that. But I'll get my Spanish back in shape. Slowly, but surely. The easter sale is nice (20% for a 3 month subscirption. I must not forget to unsubscribe)
6 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:57 pm

I was scrolling thru the Memrise courses yesterday and noticed two that I wondered if you'd seen. They were Deutsch für Medizin B2/C1 and B2-C1 Medizin.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:41 pm

Getting back on track. Stuff happens and interferes with plans. An internship, my current job, a visit at home for Easter (yes, great, but I was so tired I was looking forward to going to work in some ways :-D). I might get a job after another wave of refusals, but I will fully believe it only after the contract signature. Somebody else refused it at last moment, I really hope all will go well and we sign it soon.

If it doesn't happen: I will go to Germany, I am now finishing yet another motivation writing but I am also asked for some short text on my strengths and weaknesses. I am so frustrated by all the failures, all the noes (what is the plural of "no"? There should definitely be some!), and Germans, in spite of their million flaws, are at least really open to foreigners in hospitals.

If it happens: I will get a great starting job in the Switzerland, and I will have time (a year) to improve my German for a follow up job, that will need to be even more ambitious in terms of being cibled for career progress, but it will be easier to get compared to now. But it will be an adventure, a very fast and chaotic relocation.

And I hope 6wc will be helpful for German (C1 and full medical competence in it is still planned!). But if I get a new job from next week, who knows how it goes :-D :-D :-D
11 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:53 pm

Aaaand I've signed up for 4 SCs.

The goals: overall improvement and/or maintanance. I don't like German books or tv, so this and also some % of allowed translations in the other languages will help me avoid English media as much as possible.

Language: German
Challenge: full
Current level:B2
Comments, links: fiction (mostly translated) and medical books (mostly original), movies/series will be mostly or only dubs.

Language:French
Current level:C2
Comments, links: mainly fiction (100% originals), medical books still count (mostly originals), watching mostly original stuff (aiming for 10% dubs max)

Language:Spanish
Current level: very rusty B2, comprehension rusty C1/C2
Comments, links: fiction books (hopefully mostly originals), movies/series mostly originals (20% dubs max)

Language:Italian
Current level: B1ish?, comprehension B2/C1
Comments, links: fiction books (hopefully mostly originals), movies/series mostly originals (40% dubs max)

4 SCs. My only luck is DSM 5 not defining this as any standard psy diagnosis :-D :-D :-D
12 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:18 pm

Cavesa wrote:If it happens: I will get a great starting job in the Switzerland, and I will have time (a year) to improve my German for a follow up job, that will need to be even more ambitious in terms of being cibled for career progress, but it will be easier to get compared to now. But it will be an adventure, a very fast and chaotic relocation.

And I hope 6wc will be helpful for German (C1 and full medical competence in it is still planned!). But if I get a new job from next week, who knows how it goes :-D :-D :-D

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!

If everything goes well, I'm starting my new job on Monday. I am super nervous, but so happy and excited!!! There is so much to learn, asap, or even better yesterday :-D

Thank you all for your continuous support. It means a lot to me. I think this online community is well above what we usually expect, and I value it a lot. You're stars!

And of course, German and Italian are still very much part of the plan, more than before and without some blocks.
39 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:22 pm

To celebrate your move to Switzerland, may I recommend David Castello-Lopes? He made a whole series of videos about the Swiss. They are in French, but they made me laugh, and Iaughing about your new country is always important.

https://youtu.be/USuWroScN9w
7 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language logs”