Bolaobo Overextends With Too Many Languages in 2022

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Re: Bolaobo Overextends With Too Many Languages in 2022

Postby bolaobo » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:33 am

I finished Ukrainian L3 and L4, Latin L35 (review), Russian L8, and Japanese L90

I'm doing just enough Japanese daily to avoid going backwards and make slight progress. It's been going well and if my goals were to ever change, I would have no problem switching gears. It's a similar case with several of my other languages because Anki makes it quite easy to just put a language on pause and come back to it later. For someone like me who is constantly changing priorities, this is a life-saver.

I'm still on-the-fence about just how far I will take Ukrainian, but it's been working out well enough so far. Russian will likely take priority though given the former's importance but eventually Ukrainian should function as a nice bridge to Polish, which I'm also interested in but it's not a good fit right now since it is very divergent from Russian and not even written in Cyrillic so it would just be too much work.

For my "beginner languages" the add-every-sentence technique seems a bit silly sometimes, since some are so simple, but it improves my typing, drills in the patterns, and will help maintenance later. I figure it's not much different than writing down on a piece of paper to learn the old-fashioned way. Nevertheless, I'm anxious to get to some more engrossing Russian material! This book, highly praised by Prof. Arguelles, should get serious soon enough.

Looking at the remaining Arabic lessons I need to learn (70 in Perfectionnement, 40 in l'arabe and 45 in A New Arabic Grammar ), I probably need to decrease the pace of my grammar sessions and increase the pace of Assimil. I was planning on finishing Perfectionnement and the grammar supplement at the same time so I'll have to do average over 2 Assimil Lessons a day for each grammar chapter. So from now on I will be adjusting my workload a bit so it doesn't take me 15 years to get through Assimil Arabic. I'm pretty set on finishing these 3 textbooks because they provide fully voweled, fully translated material up to a pretty advanced level. This seems like it should be a given but you'd be surprised how many Arabic materials don't even mark vowels (I quiz myself on unvoweled text in Anki but I use diacritics to check my memory on reverse side)

The end of the grammar supplement, in the appendix, includes a bunch of authentic texts, some 1000 years old, both prose and verse, but I'm not counting those because they aren't really "taught" besides occasional footnotes describing proper nouns. There is no translation either so I won't be treating it like a normal chapter.
9 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 11 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 30 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 85 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 3 / 15

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:14 am

I finished Ukrainian L5-L7, Japanese L91 (review), and Russian L9

Notable Clozemaster milestones: Français from 中文 to level 58, Español from Deutsch to level 75, 中文 from English to level 59

So apparently Urdu uses Arabic broken plurals too. I knew that Persian sometimes did, but never knew about Urdu! Just ran into one in a news article. Other than the occasional +1 sentence I come across, haven't done much Hindustani but I have enough of a review stream to keep me busy for a while.

As expected, the Ukrainian Assimil is....slow-moving, grammar and vocabulary wise. But the voices aren't slow at all! An Amazon review actually complains that the speech is too quick. I don't disagree, but since I dissect every lesson, it's not a huge deal and I memorize it regardless. It beats the syllable-by-syllable pace that Assimil sometimes uses for the "harder" languages.

My logs don't indicate it, but I've been getting quite a bit of Spanish work in. It hasn't been Assimil work, but I've been reading news/Wikipedia, listening to podcasts, and doing Clozemaster/Duolingo. I just need to get Assimil caught up!

As you can probably tell, my Persian motivation is rather low. I enjoy Arabic more, enjoy Hindi just as much while being able to use more compelling material, and the stuff I'm reading sounds nothing like how Iranians talk because of diglossia. I'll get there eventually, but I'm in a bit of a motivation slump, like with Japanese.
6 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:56 pm

I finished Persian L44, Arabic Haywood Chapter 6, Hindi L37, Spanish L20 and L21 (review), El Nuevo italiano sin esfuerzo L1, and Arabic L37

Notable Clozemaster milestones: Español from Français to level 34

I've been dabbling in Italian for a bit, but haven't recorded it until now. It's basically in between French and Spanish lexically, and feels like the missing link to combine with those two along with Latin. With those languages, it doesn't even feel like a different language but a slightly different variant of what I know. I would prefer learning through French, since French is closer to Italian than Spanish is, but I'm laddering through Spanish since my Spanish is much, much weaker and it will act as a stop-valve if things start to get too imbalanced. My main goal is to get acquainted with the sound changes and most common words which will boost my overall comprehension with all the cognates.

It's crazy how much more advanced Hindi is at L38 than Persian is at L45. It's basically another level entirely for grammar, vocab and speaking speed. The sentences I'm doing now in Hindi seem more comparable to the final part of the Persian book. The Hindi book seems more comparable in pace to the Latin one, which is quite fast. I guess when you only have 54 lessons you have to cram a lot in!
5 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:53 pm

I finished Italian L2, Russian L10, and Ukrainian L8.

For Clozemaster, notable milestones are Español from Français to level 36, 中文 from English to level 60, and Español from Deutsch to level 77. My rank is #170 for this week and #704 overall with 14,674 mastered sentences

Italian is fun. It's really low-hanging fruit, and it synergizes well with Spanish, Latin, and French. It's a language I'll no doubt learn eventually but at the same time it feels like my effort is better spent elsewhere since it's a very finite goal compared to some of my others. I'm just learning the basics so it's possible to pick up more from osmosis when I encounter Italian in the wild. In my lifetime, I'm interested in nearly all of the major romance languages (yes, even Romanian), which is why I'm hitting them early and often.

It was a busy week, with a lot of reviews, but I got new studying in when I could.

Recently, I've been wanting to learn everything, but I still miss Arabic. I slowed down for a bit to let vocab cement. I've been focusing on beginner languages because I'm afraid I'll lose them, and have even done some Japanese, but Japanese still isn't where my passion is at the moment.

I'm still studying Levantine Arabic and did some study this week, but that language always gets shafted in terms of study time. MSA just feels so much more important for an introvert like me. At the same time, I feel like I can't completely ignore spoken Arabic since even in formal speech it gets mixed in.

French Without Toil is in eternal unfinished mode. The latest dialogue is boring tourist stuff, and it's basically just vocabulary and expressions since I know the grammar already. It's hard to get motivation when I get so much French practice daily. Maybe eventually! I don't even know if I'll be doing Using French after this.

As should be obvious by my log, I'm struggling to find a focus. It doesn't really matter because I have no goals other than "learn languages for fun" and it's working and I'm having fun. But I can't commit to one or even two. When I spend too long on one language, I get burned out or begin to lose concentration. We'll see how things pan out. I have lofty goals that won't materialize for 5-10 years even if I work hard every day.

Given my personality, this log will likely continue to be spurts of intense activity directed towards several languages, with the rest in maintenance mode with Anki.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:17 pm

I finished Le Latin L36, French L125 and L126 (review), Levantine Arabic L8, L'Ukrainien L9, Italiano Sin Esfuerzo L3, and L'Espagnol L22

My Slavic language pace has slowed down considerably which was always the plan. It's not a primary focus and I just want to get some exposure to it daily to start making a dent for the future.

I'm happier with where Latin is compared to my last update. I have a long way to go but I'm paying more attention to grammar now and getting better at inferring sentences.

The French Assimil lesson was silly. It felt like something that belonged in L25, not L125, other than the speaking speed. Really simple, tourist-like phrases. I hope it gets better soon. I'm getting a little sick of trains (which also feature in my Latin and Spanish lessons lately...) Previously, this book had sentences comparable to Using French in complexity so it's a clear regression.

For the beginning Italian lessons, I'm breaking my usual rule of putting every exercise into Anki. Some of them are so easy, or nearly identical to previous sentences, that it would just be silly. I'm sure they'll get harder. So far, it's been a good fit with Spanish and if I don't recognize the Spanish word, there's a good chance I know the French cognate, so I can boost vocabulary in multiple languages at once.

I put in a burst of effort to finally make some progress in Levantine Arabic. It's not hard, and my MSA knowledge helps, but I have to put in the time to commit to memory. L9 is easy and I will be finishing it quicker than previous ones. Levantine requires less concentration than MSA and its millions of rules. I only train listening and one of the difficulties of MSA is manually filling in vowels so it's less taxing.

As for MSA, it's still a focus, but every lesson just takes so long. Assimil still throws the occasional x+2 sentence at me, and those sentences are both harder to memorize and more mentally taxing to review. The Arabic grammar book is the same way and each sentence requires a lot of mental effort to fully master since it's jam-packed with vocabulary.

Sometimes I feel frustrated with my MSA progress, but I only have 220 days of review with 9,863 reviews in total. Compared to my 29k Japanese reviews and my 60k Hindustani ones (not counting Clozemaster), it's no wonder why I feel lacking. I just need to be patient and put in the time and it'll come together.

My Spanish Assimil progress is still slow, but it was a busy week with Clozemaster reviews. Clozemaster is a good judge of where a language is at. If I'm able to passively improve by using Clozemaster, going a bit slower with formal study is no big deal. The following langauges of mine are NOT Clozemaster capable yet without a lot of effort. They simply aren't transparent enough.

Arabic, Russian, Persian, Latin (somewhat - depends on sentence), Ukrainian.

Meanwhile Clozemaster works for these passively:

French, Italian, Spanish, Hindi, Japanese, Chinese, German.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:02 pm

I finished Arabic L38, Persian L45, and Levantine Arabic L9

Some Clozemaster milestones: 172nd overall ranking for last week, Français from 中文 to level 60 (534 mastered sentences), 日本語 from English to level 66 (652 mastered), हिन्दी from English to level 100 (1372 mastered), Deutsch from English to level 153 (8608 mastered sentences), overall level 168 (14,903 mastered)

I've spent too much time on romance languages and Clozemaster, and I'm going to be switching gears a bit. I'm going to spend some time on Japanese and Arabic, two languages which I can feel getting better but need quality, dedicated time due to how damn hard they are. I'm sure I'll do some work with other languages as well, but I have enough reviews in Anki to cruise for a bit without losing ground.

For Persian, I'm going to stop using romanization on reverse side of Anki cards, even though it can sometimes be less ambiguous than diacritics. It's too much of a crutch, and I'm comfortable enough with the script and listening to audio to figure things out on my own. I will use diacritics for unfamiliar or new words as necessary, on reverse side of course.

For Levantine Arabic I've contemplated ditching romanization but there are too many vowels and ambiguities that MSA diacritics can't handle. My compromise is to include both the Arabic and the roman characters on back side and refer to both as needed. That's what I've been doing since L3 and I will keep doing it. In terms of total reviews in Anki, Levantine is still less than 1/3 of the reviews of MSA. I'm trying to keep a 2/3 and 1/3 balance so I will likely be spending more time on Levantine the next few weeks to get it more balanced. This will also get me started doing more enthralling sentences and less beginner material.

For Japanese, I have a decent amount of raw knowledge. I know quite a few Kanji, a lot of grammar (there's always more though). However, I lack intuition and practice in the language. I need a lot more exposure and practice to become more comfortable and improve comprehension because I need full concentration to comprehend. I actually listen to quite a lot of intermediate podcasts but it's still not enough for such an exotic language.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:25 pm

I finished Italiano Sin Esfuerzo L4, L'Arabe L39, and A New Arabic Grammar of the Written Language Chapter 7

Some Clozemaster milestones: Español from Deutsch to level 81, Français from Deutsch to level 84, Français from 中文 to level 61, Italiano from Español to level 25, 日本語 from English to level 67, 中文 from English to level 61, 103 minutes spent last week, rank 688 overall.

I got COVID last week. It was a mild case, all things considered, but enough to slow down my pace. I mostly feel 100% now, at least mentally. There were a few days when I struggled to get my Anki reps in, but I persevered and on the bright side, I got daily reviews down a bit.

I've been able to make visible progress with Arabic, at the cost of....all my other languages. It's just so time-consuming, even compared to Japanese and Persian. But the time I'm putting in is paying off.

I wish I could dedicate more time to Urdu and Persian too, but Arabic is my focus in terms of motivation. It needs the most time to master, and is also the most fragile in terms of being forgotten. Nevertheless, I will be doing some Persian this week because reviews have gotten very short in Anki and I need to keep it fresh. After Arabic, Persian is refreshingly easy, at least where I am in textbook now.

I'm still doing just enough Ukrainian and Russian to not get derailed and lose momentum / forget everything. I'm actually having a harder time with the Ukrainian course than the Russian course. I'm only on L10 but it's introducing less common words that I'm struggling to remember, but the dialogues are disjointed and short. The Russian course is using simpler words, but the dialogues are more substantial and easier to remember.

I've been meaning to make some progress in Assimil Japanese, but just haven't had the time. I'm so close to finishing, but other languages have taken priority. In any case, I really shouldn't rush it because I have too much on my plate at the moment for Tobira anyway. Might as well slowly go through the remaining lessons and let it sink in.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm

I finished Le Russe sans peine L11, Speaking Eastern Arabic L10, Le Japonais L92, L'Ukrainien L10

Some Clozemaster milestones: 中文 (Traditional) from English to level 43, Italiano from Español to level 26, Español from Français to level 42

I feel like all of my languages are being either maintained or slowly improved. I'm even able to make noticeable progress on languages I focus on. The sacrifice is, of course, having no life and not having much time to read for pleasure, but that time will come later.

The new Arabic grammar chapter introduces the construct state in more detail than even Assimil has gotten to yet. I knew about the article being omitted, but didn't know about the dual and sound masculine plural endings also being modified. MSA never stops surprising me. This chapter also covers the exceptional words that take a long vowel case ending. So far I've been able to keep up with this grammar study without getting too overwhelmed but I'm only on chapter 8 so we will see how it continues.

For Japanese, only 7 lessons to go, and one of them is review. Getting close to finishing! I'm enjoying it more lately, but not as much as Arabic, and both are incredibly time-consuming.

For the next cycle of studying, the focus will continue to be on Arabic, maybe some Japanese, and doing enough of the other languages to maintain or keep momentum steady.

I'm still doing my multi-language reading of One Thousand and One Nights. I finished reading Burton's "Tale of Núr al-Dín Alí and His Son Badr al-Dín Hasan" and now I'm reading the Gustav Weil German translation, which differs slightly. After that, I'll read the Mardrus French translation, which is generally quite similar to the Burton translation but with even more flowery prose and weird exoticisms. It's kind of funny that out of these three, Gustav Weil's no-frills translation is often the most readable, since Burton's prose is so antiquated even though I'm literally a native English speaker.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:11 pm

I finished Le Persan Sans Peine L46, Le Latin Sans Peine L37, L'Espagnol Sans Peine L23, and L'Arabe L40

Clozemaster milestones: Level 169 (15,327 mastered sentences), Français from Deutsch to level 85, Español from Français to level 43, Français from 中文 to level 62, Italiano from Español to level 27

Anki stats: 16,955 mature cards, 583 young, average 260 reviews/day over past 30 days

Another busy week. As usual, I've been doing some introspection, and thinking about what languages I want to take out of exploratory phase, and which ones I want to absolutely master. Let's do a quick overview:

Chinese: Continue to maintain speaking, listening, and reading (traditional/simplified) skills. This language doesn't bring joy anymore so nothing beyond that. I will likely be eternal C1 and that's OK.

German and French: Get to as high of a level as possible. These languages are culturally important, and also vital from a scholarly perspective. In the future I will probably have to focus more on reading than listening since I use the former so much more. There's no point spending half my time on listening when I don't use it! But considering how important these languages are, it's unlikely I'll ever regret time I spend on them.

Japanese: Continue to work on, but at a slow pace. Japanese is secondary to Arabic, and it will be a long time until my Arabic passes my Japanese skills. I don't enjoy Japanese culture enough to obsessively dedicate all of my time to this, otherwise I'd be making much faster progress.

Latin: I'm going to start studying this more seriously, but I'm still in no rush.

Persian and Hindi/Urdu: These languages don't bring me much joy at the moment. Hindustani is high enough that it's easy to maintain but Persian learning pace will likely be slowing down until my Arabic is much better. But I can see myself learning these eventually so maintenance is high priority.

Modern Standard Arabic: Get to as high of a level as possible. I love this language but it's so hard and causes every other language to take backseat

Levantine Arabic: Get to a good enough level to understand basic to intermediate material. No need to master it when I mainly read.

Spanish and Italian: Gradually improve to supplement Latin and French. I love seeing the connections between all of them and it requires very little effort to maintain and improve passive skills.

Ukrainian and Russian: These languages don't bring joy at the moment, but I'm also not willing to give them up. Nevertheless, it's unlikely this branch will be making much progress with my current goals. I only have so much time in a day.

I've spent the past few days reading way too much about Akkadian and perusing grammar books / overviews. I've become very interested in Semitic languages and I can see myself adding either Biblical Hebrew or Akkadian eventually. I'm not doing anything with it at the moment, but I've realized I enjoy learning dead languages or languages with lots of rules (like MSA). I also enjoy seeing how languages influence each other and evolution over time.

As an introvert, my future pursuits might begin to lean more toward the scholarly than the typical listening comprehension/everyday conversation that "normal" people do. I probably spend a bit too much time training listening considering I don't watch TV or movies! All of my Anki cards have a listening component (besides Latin) and it has helped my listening skill immensely at the cost of increased review time.

I'm still undecided, but it's possible I'll eventually be focused on Latin/romance languages and Semitic languages, which would cause many other languages to get sidelined to a secondary role and possibly Slavic abandoned entirely. We'll see where my whims take me.
7 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt

Postby bolaobo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:53 pm

I finished A New Arabic Grammar of the Written Language Chapter 8, Speaking Arabic (Levantine) L11, El nuevo italiano sin esfuerzo L5, and L'arabe L41.

Clozemaster milestones: Playing 16003 sentences, हिन्दी from English to level 101, Français from 中文 to level 63, Español from Français to level 45, 中文 (Traditional) from English to level 44, Italiano from Español to level 31.

I've come to realize that, as much as I wish it were otherwise, I enjoy the "nerdy" aspects of language learning, like learning grammar, vocab, and theory, more than things like watching TV, extended reading, talking with people...so in the future I will likely spend more time dedicated to more scholarly pursuits, like reading linguistic books or learning dead languages. It's what I enjoy.

I continue to investigate Akkadian to see what I'd be getting into. It would be cool reading something thousands of years old, but there is the issue of accessibility. A lot of the tablets are unpublished or sitting in museums somewhere, not accessible to a layman not working in Assyriology. Nevertheless, there's still plenty of published stuff to keep me occupied for a while if I went that route. But it is something to keep in mind when you read about the huge corpus of surviving literature that might not be even accessible let alone readable.

A lot of laymen seem to focus on transliterated texts, but I don't know how appealing that is to me. A huge "cool" part of learning a dead language such as this is being able to read the real thing, and reading in Roman characters just doesn't have the same magic. But it goes without saying that cuneiform is a huge undertaking. They look harder than Chinese characters to learn, but I've learned over 5000 of those so how hard could it be? Hard, to be sure, but doable. There's a lot fewer to learn, but harder to read since they look so similar with fewer phonetic hints.

As for learning materials, the oft-recommended Huehnergard grammar seems like the best bet. It has two major problems. It doesn't start introducing cuneiform until lesson 9, and many people complain about not getting enough practice with the script. It introduces 10-15 per lesson after that with little repetition. This could be remedied by converting the transliterated text into typset cuneiform using an online tool, but it goes without saying that this would drastically increase the workload of the course, which already has a ton of exercises.

The other "problem" is it doesn't have audio, but this is to be expected for an Akkadian course. This could be easily remedied by using Google or Azure TTS and putting it in the IPA pronunciation. Will the audio be perfect? No, of course not, but I think it would be a lot better than nothing since we have a pretty good idea of what Akkadian sounded like and audio helps memorize words.

If I were to start dabbling in Akkadian, I'm still undecided, but I think focusing on cuneiform early (like how I learned Hanzi while learning Chinese grammar) would be worth it. It's something that needs tons of practice, and not just sporadic exposure, unless you've decided to focus on transliterated texts only, which at the moment isn't the most appealing to me.
10 x

Return to “Language logs”