My Persian-Learning Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

My Persian-Learning Log

Postby Khayyam » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:11 am

I've decided to begin learning Persian (well, I've sort of learned the alphabet, but other than that I've done nothing) by starting with these lines from the Rubaiyat (which happen to be my favorite lines in all of literature so far):

What care I, love, for what the sufis say?
The sufis are but drunk another way;
So you be drunk, it matters not the means.
So you be drunk--and glorify your clay.

I want to make a YouTube video of myself reciting these lines in Persian and not sound like a *total* moron to native speakers. And if I do sound like a total moron, oh well--at least I'll have shown some courage.

I realize this is an outrageously ambitious goal for a rank beginner, but well, I started learning German by jumping straight into deep waters, and that hasn't turned out too badly. (Well, my grammar sucks, but that's because I spend all my time listening and reading rather than writing or speaking.)

First thing, then: maybe my Google-fu just sucks, but I'm having a hard time finding the Rubaiyat in English and Persian side by side. Help me out here?
5 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: My Persian-Learning Log

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:31 am

I look forward to hearing your video!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language logs”