Mapleleaf's branching log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MapleLeaf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=17653

Re: Mapleleaf's branching log

Postby MapleLeaf » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:56 am

It's hard to say if I'm a native speaker, literally. I was born without hearing and had to learn to speak English. I got a cochlear implant some ten years ago and am learning the sounds of English and how to associate them with the written form of English, which is challenging as English spelling has a tenuous relationship to pronunciation. I've gone from 0 percent recognition to what I think is about 50 percent; someday I'll go back for my hearing comprehension tests to see if that's so. I've found spoken English challenging: even the simplest questions as 'what is a syllable' and 'do these two words rhyme' have complicated answers.

I'm curious about writing systems. My library has a display showing 'welcome' in many different languages and I want to identify each writing system. Japanese has a complicated system, with hiragana, katakana, and kanji. I've tried to get the jist of it, but I have not understood what is meant by 'reading' so I'm trying to see if WaniKani can explain it to me. So far it's shown me several symbols which it categories as radical, kanji, or vocabulary. It appears that a radical is a component of a symbol; a kanji is a single symbol which may have multiple readings categorized as on'yomi, kun'yomi, and nanori; a vocabulary term consists of a single or more kanji combined with zero or more hiragana and has a single reading which can be different from the kanji. Some kanji have the same reading, which might be the equivalent of homophones, e.g. 三 (three) and 山 (mountain) have the same reading (さん, or san), although mountain can also have やま, or yama. I'm confused when I see a sentence with 山 (mountain) in it since I don't know which, san or yama, is used when speaking the sentence. Wanikani has several paragraphs discussing this aspect, and I'm slowly digesting it.
15 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner), Latin (beginner)

Postby MapleLeaf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:40 pm

grayson wrote:
MapleLeaf wrote:Synesthesia, where senses (often color) are experienced with words; I wonder how that interacts with multiple languages

I have the most common kind of synesthesia, where color is associated with letters and numbers. Over Christmas I was grilled pretty heavily on how-does-that-work-for-foreign-languages-then by someone who just learned I have synesthesia, so I can provide one data point! :D

Thank you for this data point. That's very interesting! Have you heard of the Stroop effect? (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroop_effect ) I am curious how it interacts with your synthesia.
0 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt

Postby MapleLeaf » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:48 pm

What I did in January:

• English:
    • read and listened to 113 Voice of America Special English articles for a total of 601 minutes (10 hours),
    • read and listened to Red Rising by Pierce Brown for 960 minutes (16 hours).
  • French:
    • Watched the movie Top Hat with french captions. Very old movies often have short, simple sentences so they are easy to follow. New vocabulary and idioms: gifle (a slap in the face); ça sent le roussi (there's trouble brewing); dans le pétrin (literally in a dough trough, idiomically as in a fix).
    • Watched the movie Raya and the Last Dragon with french audio and captions. This movie was originally created in English, and the French translation left a nickname untranslated as 'Undercut'. There seems to be no particular French translation for that hairstyle.
    • On the last day of the month, hurriedly selected a short book to read in order to make my goal of a book a month. The book turned out to be Le Cosmohaute Oublié by Marie-Andrée and Daniel Mativat; the story of a cosmonaut who lives alone for years in a space station after earth abandons him. It had a lot of new vocabulary, such as 'parasites' (static) and 'soucoupette' (flying saucer). The aliens speak in French, but with no spaces, making it challenging to parse.
  • Spanish:
    • Reviewed sentences in Duolingo, which drilled me on verb tenses: imperative; future and past tenses. The verbs with a root change are particularly challenging. I think I'm nearly 40% of the way through this course, and I'd like to finish it this year.
    • Drilled for a few days on a few different conjunction websites, and discovered that the preterite (past tense) for ir (to go) and ser (to be) is the same. I scored 10/40 in Spanish present and preterite tenses on verbly, so I clearly need more practice.
    • Finished Unit 2 of Spanish on Mango Languages. I'd like to finish it this year, also.
    • Learned that the verb 'to laugh' is reflexive in Spanish (se rier) although it's not in French (rire). Which verbs are reflexive (reflexology?) is still a mystery to me.
  • Japanese:
    • Tried out Wanikani, and got confused. It seems to teach 'radicals' (components of characters) with English names, Kanji (individual characters), and Vocabulary (a combination of one or more Kanji plus more Kanji or hiragana). The same character can be all three, with different names/meanings. The website does a lot of color coding in a schema of blue-pinks, and I'm trying to figure out how meaningful the color coding is.
    • Read Fifty Sounds by Polly Barton, an autobiography of a English speaker who, on a whim, took an English teaching position in Japan, and stayed for years learning and, in her words, falling in love with, the Japanese language and becoming a literary translator. Each chapter is titled with an 'onomatopoeic' Japanese phrase such as 'min-min', the sound of air screaming, to 'jin-jin', the sound of being touched for the first time. The author uses the term 'onomatopoeic' but I think a better term is 'reduplication'. Examples in English are boo-boo, no-no, yum-yum. I found a useful discussion at https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... -of-two-sy .
    • The author in the above book used Slime Forest Adventure as a way to learn the Japanese characters, so I tried it out for a few hours. It's timed, the slimes focused only on katagana, and I couldn't figure out how to get them to use hiragana. The slimes also had characters I have not seen anywhere else, such as 'vu' (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%83%B4), and required different romani such as dzu instead of zu. After the slimes took all my gold several times, I decided to drill in less adventurous but more straightforward places such as https://drlingua.com/japanese/games/kana-bento/ and https://realkana.com/katakana/ . Eventually I'll come back to show these slimes I've finally learned these characters and rescue the princess!
  • In other areas:
    • Looked at polylogger (https://polylogger.com). Interesting concept of tracking time in various language-learning activities, but I think this would duplicate my tracking in a spreadsheet, and also I like to track metrics other than time.
    • Looked at Ted Talks which at first seemed promising as a source of videos since it had a filter for other languages, but it turns out that the videos are not dubbed or produced in any language except English; the filter is for translated transcripts. The sad part is that I realized this after 5 minutes into a video.
    • Completed the Ancient Greek course on Mango. Short, but it gives an idea of the language. I learned about the story of Arion, a bard who had an adventure at sea; ancient Greek had a single word for 'throwing out overboard'. I also learned that conjunctions, when joining phrases, do not necessarily have to remain between the two phrases; ancient Greek puts the conjunction after the first word of the second phrase. I also recognized the word 'dolphin' in ancient Greek; it turns out the etymology of dolphin in English goes all the way back to ancient Greek. Arion seems to have been used a few times, so I'm including a link to the right legend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arion .
    • Tried out EWA, a language learning app, but it was incompatible with my requirements since it used uncaptioned videos with a lot of ambient noise.
    • Watched a few episodes of the Great Courses Language and the Mind by Spencer D. Kelly. One anecdote from the professor: he started to learn Japanese because he was married to a Japanese-speaker. When he saw her talking to another Japanese speaker, he went over to introduce himself as the husband of his wife. But although it was a short sentence, he got a vowel wrong, and introduced himself as the prisoner of his wife.
    • Tried to chat on a French channel for a board game site but the only thing I saw were requests for a site with more French players or translations of the help files.
    • Tried to read the help files for the same board game site, but the page I was trying to figure out had been 'google translated' from German, and was incomprehensible in English.
    • Tried out ChatGPT and tried to get it to tell me how its name is pronounced. It says 'Chat G P T', but when I ask it to make poems involving its name, it rhymes ChatGPT with day or doubt. I haven't yet gotten it to rhyme its name with T (tee).
4 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:07 pm

MapleLeaf wrote:[*] Tried out ChatGPT and tried to get it to tell me how its name is pronounced. It says 'Chat G P T', but when I ask it to make poems involving its name, it rhymes ChatGPT with day or doubt. I haven't yet gotten it to rhyme its name with T (tee)

Don't try to pronounce GPT in French. You'll be saying "j'ai pété" :lol: On the other hand, T does rhyme with day in French.
0 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

MapleLeaf
White Belt

Postby MapleLeaf » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:01 pm

What I did in February:

It was a light month language wise, during which I kept up few of my 2023 resolutions except to do something language-wise each day.

• English:
    • Read and listened to 81 articles on Voice of America Special English for a total of 428 minutes (7 hours).
    • Read and listened to an audiobook for 505 minutes (8 hours).
  • French:
    • Listened to two sessions on aioPop for a total of 6 minutes. I am a little confused with aioPop's embedded mp3 player; I don't understand what the infinity symbol and the circular arrows mean.
    • Listened to a 3-minute children's audiobook.
    • Did not read a French book for February; I left it too late to complete for that month. I am attempting to start this monthly goal earlier for March. Selecting a book took a while, as it required reading the first page of several novels. I've finally settled on one. It had only two sentences with 35 words on the first page, but 3 of these words were new to me and had three verbs in the subjunctive tense, so it's already challenging. I learned an idiom: 'à la queue leu leu' (in single file). The 'leu leu' part puzzled me, and I went off on an etymology search to discover its origins in 'Old French leu ('wolf')'.
  • Spanish:
    • Kept up daily practice with Duolingo.
    • Chatted with a Spanish speaker on a game forum; I made verb tense mistakes but the Spanish speaker assured me I would improve if I keep practicing.
  • In other areas:
    • Went to a used book sale and found many books in many languages; I found it difficult to tell apart novels in Spanish from those in Portuguese; the copyright page and the blurbs do not clarify which language the book is in; I finally found two novels printed in Spain, both translated likely from English, although the copyright page doesn't say. I looked up how to tell Portuguese from Spanish and found Portuguese doesn't use ñ, so I flipped through the books and found a very low usage of año, niño, or mañana, but finally found that letter. Also, I found a German reader published 1920 which uses the Schwabacher font, which I have great difficulty reading. In relation to this, I found I have to carefully select graphic novels in French since some use fonts that I also have difficulty reading. I wonder if there's an app to convert or interpret fonts?
    • Watched Murdoch Mysteries season 14 which had an episode involving a constructed language, Solresol, based on having 7 symbols that can be expressed as 7 musical notes, 7 colors, or the numbers 1 to 7. It turns out to be an existing constructed language: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solresol . Sidosi dore (I am learning).
    • Watched the series The Great Courses: The Celtic World by Professor Jennifer Paxton. It discussed the grouping of Celtic languages into P-Celtic and Q-Celtic, based on their status of regaining (or not) the p sound after it had been lost.
    • Tried out Koine Greek on Mango. It uses bible quotations. The format didn't allow an easy comparison with the Ancient Greek course, but I got a sense that the usage of articles differs.
5 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt

Postby MapleLeaf » Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 pm

What I did in March and April:

• English
    • read and listened to 119 Voice of America Special English episodes for a total of 10 hours 11 minutes in March; 109 episodes for a total of 10 hours 40 minutes in April.
    • read and listened to three books for 61 hours in March; one book for 18 hours in April.
  • French
    • Read several children's books Un monstre dans les céréales by Marie-Francise Hébert, Le tombeau en péril by Louise Leblanc, and Une fête d'enfer by Meredith Badger. The last one had a term that I couldn't find in my dictionaries: centre d'escalade; it turned out to be a rock-climbing gym. Perhaps it's too new a term to get into the dictionaries.
  • Spanish
    • Reviewed sentences in Duolingo. Duolingo's drilling me on the conditional verb conjunctions (could and would), the differences between the gerund and past participle (one has an 'n' in its spelling, the other doesn't); three different words for stop (parar, dejar, deterner); the usage of llevar and quedar; the use of direct and indirect object pronouns.
    • Watched an animated storybook on Kanopy. There seem to be several that I could go through; the Kanopy interface doesn't make it easy to find them all; it has a sideways scrolling list of its storybooks in Hindu, ASL, and spanish with no perceivable ordering.
    • Learned the idiom '¿Qué tal tu inglés?' (how is your English?). I'm not sure what 'tal' means in there and why there's no verb. I tested '¿Qué tal tu hermana?' and '¿Qué tal es tu hermana?' in DeepL and it produces 'How about your sister' for the first one and 'How is your sister' for the second one.
    • Learned the idiom for 'Can I have...' as 'Me puede dar...' (literally 'You[polite form] can give me...').
    • Learned the idiom for 'Go past the store' as 'Pasar por la tienda' (literally 'pass by/for the store').
    • Learned two different words for short: corta and baja. The first is for length, the second is for height; I'm having trouble remembering the difference, although I have no problem remembering the difference for words for long: largo (long) vs alto (tall).
    • Spanish translations of English sentences are usually a little shorter, but the translation of 'Cows like salt' (three words) is 'A las vacas les gusta la sal' (seven words).
    • I'm struggling with object pronouns in Spanish: when a sentence starts with 'Le' (object pronoun) I keep reading that the sentence starts with a French definitive determiner ('the'), so I keep reading 'Le regalo' as 'the gift' instead of 'I give to him'.
    • I'm also mystified about the ordering of adjectives: apparently gigante (giant) goes after the noun although gran (big) can go before or after.
  • In other areas:
    • Finished the Great Courses Language and the Mind by Spencer D. Kelly. Learned there's a rare aphasia that renders the inability to stay in one language in multilinguals.
    • Finished the Great Courses The Story of Human Language by John McWhorter. The professor has a lot of humor, and this course was very informative, discussing many topics and languages. There's a language that has only three verbs (Jingulu, which has come, go, and do) which must make verb conjunction much simpler.
    • Read The Rise of English by Rosemary Salomone. It focused on global politics, discussing the situation in Africa, France, and India.
    • Read French All Around Us by Kathleen Stein-Smith et al. It discussed French in the USA, in such regions as the Caribbean, Louisiana, and the northeast. There were touching stories by people discussing their attempt to connect with their family history and to keep their children connected.
    • Read The Language Lover's Puzzle Book by Alex Bellos. I enjoyed this book -- when I was nearly convinced languages have no logic, this book showed that there is a lot of logic by setting up puzzles that require determining the patterns of language; it covered verb conjunctions, pronunciation changes between adjoining languages, transcription, numbering systems, and more.
    • Made a short list of words that appear in more than one language with entirely different meanings.
      • le: object pronoun in Spanish; definite determiner in French
      • lava: he washes in Spanish
      • pies: feet in Spanish
      • male: bad in Latin
      • is: he in Latin
      • sale: goes out in Spanish
      • once: eleven in Spanish
6 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt

Postby MapleLeaf » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:05 am

What I did in May and June:
  • English:
    • read and listened to 226 Voice of America Special English articles for a total of 1247 minutes or 20 hours.
    • read and listened to two books for 34 hours.
  • French:
    • Watched the movie Charade first in English, then French, then Spanish, with subtitles and dubbing. The English (original) version has scenes with people speaking French or Italian, and the subtitles show 'speaking in French' or 'speaking in Italian'; the French dubbed and subtitled version has no subtitles for any lines that were originally in French. The movie used the phrase 'noon-thirty' as the time for an appointment; I haven't heard that phrase before. The main character worked as a simultaneous translator; she translated French to English and her translater in the next booth translated English to French; they'd switch with each other when the speaker changed. There was a phrase, 'I don't know', which got translated to 'No lo sé' (I don't know it) instead of 'No sé' in Spanish; to 'Je ne sais pas' in French. In one scene, the main character addresses someone as a 'soldier' and is corrected with 'marine'; in French, she uses 'soldat' and is corrected with 'fussilier marin' which is consistent with the English version; however in Spanish, she uses 'guardia' (guard) and is corrected with 'soldado' (soldier) which is strange since Spanish has a translation for marine (marina).
    • Watched the movie Phantom Thread first in English, then French, then Spanish, with subtitles and dubbing. In one scene, the main character calls another character 'my old so-and-so': this got translated as 'ma vieille camarade' in French and 'mi vieja camarada' in Spanish; in another scene, a set of numbers are called out; these were spelled out in the English and French subtitles, but not in the Spanish subtitles.
    • Went on a day trip to Quebec, where I stuttered my way through a simple order in a fast food restaurant. The person taking the order was very patient.
    • Pondered a thread on this site about interesting idioms and went looking for them. Found two books, Les Bons Mots by Eugene Ehrlich, an English book about French idioms; and Les Expressions Anglaises by Asssimil, a French book about English idioms. Getting through all these idioms? 'C'est la mer à boire' -- literally, 'it's the sea to drink', figuratively, 'it's an endless task'.
  • Spanish:
    • Reviewed sentences in Duolingo. Duolingo is drilling me in the subjunctive and how to use 'ever' and 'never' constructions.
    • Drilled on verb tenses as I'm still quite weak on them; I get the gerund and past participle cofused, as well as the imperfect and conditional. The subjective is particularly confusing. An -er verb like comer (to eat), gets conjuncted in the present indicative as 'you eat' -- 'tú comes' but in the subjective it becomes 'tú comas'; an -ar verb like hablar gets conjuncted as 'you eat' -- 'tú hablas' but in the subjective it becomes 'tú hables' -- in other words, the -er and -ar verbs switch their usage of a or e! This baffles me, but then, languages are not strictly logical or simple.
    • Pondered two verbs that are very similar in spelling: sentar (to sit) and sentir (to feel). Me siento (I am sitting); Me siento triste (I feel sad). Lo siento, me siento mal y me siento en el piso (I'm sorry, I feel bad and I'm sitting on the floor). The reference https://www.spanishdict.com/answers/235 ... -and-i-sit helped me understand.
    • Found some more examples of homophones: traje un traje (I brought a suit), Suelo comer en el suelo (I usually eat on the floor), nada (he swam, or nothing).
    • Learned several different words for 'to stop': deterner, parer, dejar. I haven't learned yet which is used in what situation.
  • Other:
    • Ran across this quotation in a history of Vienna, The Crossroads of Civilization by Angus Robertson:
      English traveller John Morritt (1772-1843) reported the language skills of the Viennese: 'There is no town where languages are so much understood. Most people of fashion here understand four or five, and many more. Everybody speaks French and Italian amongst the tradesmen, even, and the higher ranks almost all speak English and perhaps Hungarian, Polish, or Greek; for the Poles, Russians, Bohemians, and Carinthians, I believe, all speak different dialects of sclavonian [Slavic], a perfect distinct, and more ancient language than the German, I believe, and which, though I have heard that it is very difficult, certainly sounds far more soft and agreeable to the ear than that detestable grunting; for I cannot bring myself to bear German, and only wonder the language is not changed by agreement.'
    • Read The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, a novel translated from the Japanese which contained descriptions of writing, which had not been culturally changed from the Japanese: "I enjoy writing slowly, filling each square on the paper, one character at a time.", and "I took out a fresh sheet of paper. To warm up my fingers, I tried writing a, i, u, e, o. Then, taking care to match the size of the characters to the lines on the paper, I continued with ka, ki, ku, ke, ko."
    • Watched the Great Courses: The Story of Human Language by Professor John McWhorter. I learned such things as 'The Jingulu language (Australia) has only three verbs (go, do, come).'
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:20 am

MapleLeaf wrote:[*]Read The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, a novel translated from the Japanese which contained descriptions of writing, which had not been culturally changed from the Japanese: "I enjoy writing slowly, filling each square on the paper, one character at a time.", and "I took out a fresh sheet of paper. To warm up my fingers, I tried writing a, i, u, e, o. Then, taking care to match the size of the characters to the lines on the paper, I continued with ka, ki, ku, ke, ko."
I have a vague memory, I think from a documentary about alphabets/writing, that Chinese school children are offered art or calligraphy as alternatives at school. Perhaps the Japanese have a similar focus on calligraphy?

EDIT
I just searched my local library's website for "calligraphy", and one of the results that came up was: Shodo : the practice of mindfulness through the ancient art of Japanese calligraphy. :-)
0 x

MapleLeaf
White Belt

Postby MapleLeaf » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:37 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
MapleLeaf wrote:[*]Read The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa, a novel translated from the Japanese which contained descriptions of writing, which had not been culturally changed from the Japanese: "I enjoy writing slowly, filling each square on the paper, one character at a time.", and "I took out a fresh sheet of paper. To warm up my fingers, I tried writing a, i, u, e, o. Then, taking care to match the size of the characters to the lines on the paper, I continued with ka, ki, ku, ke, ko."
I have a vague memory, I think from a documentary about alphabets/writing, that Chinese school children are offered art or calligraphy as alternatives at school. Perhaps the Japanese have a similar focus on calligraphy?

EDIT
I just searched my local library's website for "calligraphy", and one of the results that came up was: Shodo : the practice of mindfulness through the ancient art of Japanese calligraphy. :-)

There is Japanese calligraphy. The article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calligraphy states it's a popular art subject at school. However, the focus of the sections I quoted from the novel wasn't on the art of the letters, but rather on the act and meaning of writing by hand.

I've noticed there are many different schools of handwriting, some of which are closer to calligraphy than others. I went to look for examples while writing this reply, and found https://www.dayspringpens.com/blogs/the-jotted-line/handwriting-styles, which includes an example of Japanese handwriting. Most of these samples are interesting, and I'd love to be able to hand write in these styles. It'll have to go on my long to-do list.

What do you write to 'warm up' when hand writing? I've gone for connected loops which could be read as connected o's, to check that the pen's ink is flowing. Perhaps I'll study some of the flourishes from the above URL and practice these.
2 x

grayson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Dutch (fluent)
Spanish (false beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18491

Postby grayson » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:00 am

MapleLeaf wrote:
grayson wrote:
MapleLeaf wrote:Synesthesia, where senses (often color) are experienced with words; I wonder how that interacts with multiple languages

I can provide one data point!

Thank you for this data point. That's very interesting! Have you heard of the Stroop effect? (link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroop_effect ) I am curious how it interacts with your synthesia.

So sorry I didn't see this earlier. Better late than never, I hope :)

I am definitely aware of a mild ... tension? unpleasantness? ... when letters are printed in colors that don't match mine. It's mild, but it's also enough that I'm aware of it, so I think there would certainly be a measurable difference in reaction time.
1 x
gbmj.net | my 2024 log | my 2024 life areas | my 2024 commitments
~~~
Much madness is divinest sense, to a discerning eye; much sense, the starkest madness. —Emily Dickinson

Return to “Language logs”