2022! Logger without a saw & Español with no teeth

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: 2022! Logger without a saw & Español with no teeth

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:26 pm

Cerebral_Arbitrage wrote:In the next week, one of my goals will be to Dave just once. I’ll report back.

Cool! All joking aside, it does help to start looking for opportunities to use the language, even if it is for simple small transactions. If nothing else, it gets you to practice some stuff in your head, even if you don't actually get to use it.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18782

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:00 pm

rdearman wrote:
Cerebral_Arbitrage wrote:In the next week, one of my goals will be to Dave just once. I’ll report back.

Cool! All joking aside, it does help to start looking for opportunities to use the language, even if it is for simple small transactions. If nothing else, it gets you to practice some stuff in your head, even if you don't actually get to use it.

Very solid and much appreciated advice. I need to get over myself and embrace The Dave.
0 x
365 Day Challenge: 0 / 365
PFC - Daily Vocabulary Review: 0 / 365
PFC - Read 500 pages: 0 / 500
PFC - Watch 120 hours of video: 0 / 7200

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Thu May 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Just wanted to post so I wouldn't lose my log. I've had some unexpected, unpleasant Life Events going on, which makes posting a bit difficult. But even so, I've been using my logging app and have been Spanish-ing 30 minutes a day. Except one day, so I did lose my streak. I'm still amazed that it was only one day given what's been going on. I think I'll be back to logging in June. Fingers crossed!
6 x

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt

2022! Logger without a saw & Español with no teeth

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:22 pm

Hurray! I am back! Even though I haven't been posting, you have all motivated me through some pretty crazy times. I got dumped by my boyfriend. ON MY BIRTHDAY! Which meant I had to move since we were living together. And then I had eye surgery. Argh. The list goes on but all is well now. I can look back at this series of unfortunate events as a part of my history and not a big deal any more.

It might take me a while to get all my stats in order. I have to say the 30 minutes a day challenge kept me on track. When I couldn't see, I listened to podcasts or YouTube channels. Some days I was counting the minutes until I hit the 30 mark; other days it was actually a nice little break from the world. Netflix has been a constant companion. I am now watching Blacklist in Spanish audio with Spanish subtitles consistently. My apps Speakly (which is much debugged now), Clozemaster and Anki have been great. Speakly and Clozemaster both have options where it can be easier (chose the answer from 4 options) or harder (type it out). This has helped on yucky days.

I know the Super Challenge started months ago, but I think I'd like to try it out. These challenges are fantastic at keeping me on a consistent path.
5 x

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:18 pm

2022 Year in Review

Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. I went from my January high of 61 hours to my November low of 4 hours and 13 minutes. Even though 2022 wasn’t the easiest year, there were a lot of things that worked surprisingly well. I studied for 304 hours. This is the longest and the most consistently I’ve studied for years. Thank you, Language Learners Forum. Even though I didn’t reach any of my goals, the act of reaching for them provided a lot more progress than I expected.

1. The 30 minute a day challenge was an amazing motivator. I’m sending a big cyber bear hug from whoever started it. I kept my streak through thick and thin – through a bad break up, a move, an eye surgery, appliance fiascos - until one day, without even a reason, I just forgot. I wasn’t even that busy. Go figure.
2. I’ve had the same language exchange partner for 3.5 years now. We talk twice a week. I've realized that I enjoy language learning best when it's social.
3. Tiny goals helped me get through my "no mojo" periods. 30 minutes, for example, could seem like a pain, but it was never too hard to do. Keeping up my vocabulary streaks on Clozemaster or Speakly was also easy. Apps with reminders were my friends.

My goals into next year will most likely be similar. I’m going to try to keep the lessons I’ve learned in mind as I venture forth into 2023
3 x

Return to “Language logs”