Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:53 pm

24 November
A few minor things have gone wrong today. Having some technical troubles with the belt on my treadmill which is annoying. Also getting a bit sick of spending my evenings on treasurer admin, which is still ongoing. I'm starting to wonder how I fitted all this in when I still had a really intense job. Maybe I just always spent November being miserable :lol:

Russian
That's a long way of saying limited activity today! I listened to a Russian with Max podcast; an old one, from the back catalogue. It wasn't a particularly good one; it was an interview format, which I'm never a huge fan of, and the other person's voice didn't seem to be picked up by the microphone very well. So this is the sort of day when I have technically done 30 minutes of something in Russian but I'm not convinced it's 30 minutes that has particularly advanced me.

Total - Russian: 36 mins, Croatian: 53 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:42 pm

25 November
Another day of annoying small things going wrong. This time a plumbing problem. So much fun!

Russian
Not going to lie, I haven't really been in the mood for Russian this evening. I'm feeling tired this week, maybe partly because I spent last weekend working at a trustee meeting. Anyway, I cleared some more of my endless Memrise reviews and then I attempted to read some more of 'Игольное ушко'. I looked up the word "утёс" (cliff) and as soon as I looked it up I realised that I already knew it.

Total - Russian: 48 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:38 pm

26 November
I don't think anything broke today which makes it one of the better days this week :D

Russian
My treadmill is properly broken though so I couldn't go on it this morning. I seem to be incapable of properly waking up without exercise, so once I'd dragged myself out of bed and had breakfast I went for a walk outside. My other half was sitting one of his C2 Esperanto papers today so it made sense to get out of the house anyway so that I didn't accidentally make any distracting noise at the wrong moment. I walked for about 90 mins and listened to two Russian with Max podcasts before I got bored and started listening to music instead. The more interesting of the two was about learning to drive in Russia, which sounds a bit different to learning to drive in the UK, not least because the system is a bit corrupt and small amounts of bribery may be required to get the right paperwork and pass on the first attempt.

When I got home I read a little bit more of 'Игольное ушко' and realised I'm over two thirds of the way through it now. I seem to be making slow progress with it, but that's mainly because I've not been spending that much time reading it. I feel like I'm doing lots of different things in Russian at the moment - which is good to some extent, because it means I don't get bored - but on the other hand it also means I don't necessarily make much progress with any of them. That's partly why I'm thinking I need to come up with a way to set more focussed goals for next year, but I haven't come up with any concrete plan yet. A not insignificant part of me is worried that if I tell myself it's no longer a strict rule to do 30 minutes of Russian every day that I just won't do any Russian at all.

Total - Russian: 116 mins, Croatian: 3 mins (of Memrise), German: 101 mins (still reading GoT)
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:03 pm

27 November
I have a new treadmill - yay! This makes me very happy.

Russian
I made a bit more progress reading 'Игольное ушко' this morning. Only 100 pages left, I think. Once I got the new treadmill this afternoon, I tested it out while doing the next lesson from the Red Kalinka video course. This one was about giving directions and the imperative. I never particularly enjoy learning about the imperative in any language, but actually this was quite a good lesson. After the treadmill I did the exercises and there were some useful ones to practise verb conjugations. The past few lessons have had some good exercises where they give you a sentence which has one error in it and then you have to spot the error and write the sentence correctly. I'm quite enjoying those :)

Total - Russian: 127 mins, Croatian: 5 mins, German: 50 mins

Mi ĉiam miras pri tio, ke tiom da homoj havas fortajn opiniojn pri Esperanto! Mi certe havas opiniojn pri Esperanto - kaj ne ĉiam pozitivajn - sed mi la unuan fojon eklernis la lingvon antaŭ jam dudek jaroj, do mi kredas ke mi rajtas :D Mi scias ke en la pasinteco mi kelkfoje plendis kaj skribis negativajn aferojn pri Esperanto ĉi tie, sed ĉi-jare mi fakte ja havis kelkajn pli feliĉajn spertojn kaj eble mi parolu pri tiuj kiam mi verkos jarfinan resumon. Laŭ mia sperto la malagrablaĵoj kaj malpli pozitivaj aspektoj kutime rilatas al la movado kaj ne al la lingvo, sed ŝajne estas simple la ekzisto de la lingvo mem kiu havas la kapablon ĝeni iujn homojn, kaj ne la movadaj strangaĵoj :?
7 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:52 pm

This is the first time I've seen 'treadmill' and the positive effects on language learning together in one setting. Considering that 'treadmill' is usually reserved to portray things that ultimately lead nowhere and are boring. This is novel indeed!

Mi dirus ke la kolero pro la nura ekzisto de Esperanto estis vera faktoro dum ĝia tuta historio, ĉu ne? Ĉu vi estis membro de la iama versio de Lernu! ? Tio estis, por mi, la unua fojo, kiam mi vidis en la interreto la skalon de kiom da galo kaj malestimo homoj pretas elverŝi pri tiu ĉi afero; el interne de la Esperanto-komunumo mem.

Estas multe da homoj, kiuj malŝatas la ekscentrulojn, sed kiel vi diris, tio ne egalas al la lingvo mem. Ne pli ol iu frenezo parolata en iu ajn alia lingvo devus pripensi la lingvon mem. Kion mi ne povas elteni estas genuecaj antaŭjuĝoj el pozicio de nescio.
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:04 am

Le Baron wrote:This is the first time I've seen 'treadmill' and the positive effects on language learning together in one setting. Considering that 'treadmill' is usually reserved to portray things that ultimately lead nowhere and are boring. This is novel indeed!

Mi dirus ke la kolero pro la nura ekzisto de Esperanto estis vera faktoro dum ĝia tuta historio, ĉu ne? Ĉu vi estis membro de la iama versio de Lernu! ? Tio estis, por mi, la unua fojo, kiam mi vidis en la interreto la skalon de kiom da galo kaj malestimo homoj pretas elverŝi pri tiu ĉi afero; el interne de la Esperanto-komunumo mem.

Jes, vi verŝajne pravas pri la kolero. Kaj jes, mi estis membro en la iamaj forumoj de Lernu! Mi ĉiam ege admiris Erinjan, kiu respondecis pri la anglalingva forumo, ĉar ŝi ŝajne ĉiam sukcesis resti trankvila, malgraŭ ĉiuj stultaj disputoj kiuj okazis tie. Ial la disputoj en la anglalingva forumo ofte estis pli viglaj ol en la esperantlingvaj.

Mi kredas ke estas pli da homoj en ĉi tiu forumo kiu parolas (aŭ almenaŭ iam lernis) Esperanton ol homoj kiuj parolas la kroatan. Sed neniu ekas fadenojn pri tio, ĉu indas lerni la kroatan kaj neniu proponas ke ni diskutu kiel reformi ĝian gramatikon. Do ĉiam por mi estas strange ke homoj sentas la bezonon fari tion rilate Esperanton. Mi komprenas ke ja estas ĝene se Esperantistoj klopodas konvinki homojn kiuj tute ne interesiĝas pri la lingvo lerni ĝin... sed mi neniam vidis ion tian ĉi tie.

And re the treadmill - I find it so much easier to focus on Russian when I’m moving rather than sitting still! Whenever I sit down and attempt to watch videos I find my attention quickly starts to drift. Even if the subject matter is relatively interesting, I find it hard to keep up the level of focus which I need to understand anything in Russian. But if I watch something while walking even relatively slowly on the treadmill, my focus is almost perfect. I guess maybe being on a treadmill would otherwise be so tedious that listening to Russian suddenly becomes an exciting distraction!
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:04 pm

28 November
Reasonably productive day at work today. Definitely more productive than Friday. I credit the new treadmill for most of this :lol:

Russian
I cleared some Memrise reviews when I was bored in a meeting earlier. A bit naughty, but it really wasn't a meeting which required me to say or do anything. One of those that reminded me of the classic Dubioza kolektiv lyric "Gledam tvoja usta kako jedu moje vrijeme" :D Anyway. This evening I devoted some more time to Russian reading. I looked up a few words, of which the most notable was "туша" (carcass - in the context of the story it was referring to a dead sheep).

Total - Russian: 38 mins, Croatian: 57 mins, German: 63 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:40 pm

29 November
Today was my birthday and in my current workplace, no one has to work on their birthday so I had the day off :)

Russian
Not much Russian was done, due to me being too busy enjoying my birthday. I did get a copy of the entire Chronicles of Narnia in Russian though as a present :) It includes all 7 books and it's over 800 pages long, so expect me to spend all of my 2023 log talking about how I'm reading it :D

I cleared some Memrise reviews while I was waiting for a coffee earlier. And then later this evening I read some more of 'Игольное ушко'. I'll perhaps be more motivated to finish this now so that I can start the Narnia books.

German
This morning I finished reading 'Die Königin der Drachen', which is the book I was reading in the Game of Thrones series. I think that brings me to 8 books read in German this year. This was a big one at 832 pages!

Total - Russian: 37 mins, German: 69 mins
7 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 pm

Sretan rodendan!
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:43 pm

С днем рождения! Feliĉan naskiĝtagon! Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! Sretan rođendan!

Happy Birthday, Clare!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”