Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:05 pm

Haha, yes the holding of the bus in Liechtenstein seemed a little bit more official :D

5 June
Travelling back from Liechtenstein today via Zurich. Unfortunately planes aren't quite as coordinated as buses and trains and mine is delayed by over an hour, making an already late evening flight even later.

Russian
Just another brief update as I'm at the airport. I had some time to kill on my travels today and so ended up drinking a coffee in Liechtenstein's McDonalds. I used the time to read another few chapters of Ken Follett in Russian. Still making good progress with it; Goodreads tells me I'm 87% of the way through now :)

Total - Russian: 34 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:16 pm

6 June
After my flight was delayed I didn't make it home until 03.30 this morning. So today has not been the world's most productive day :lol: But it was totally worth it to go to Liechtenstein :)

Russian
Another really boring update today: Memrise, Memrise and more Memrise. Most of my evening has been taken up with post-holiday tasks like packing and laundry and I haven't really had the energy for doing much else. I hadn't logged in to Memrise yesterday (and maybe also not the day before) so I had quite a lot of reviews to get through anyway. Hopefully I'll do something more interesting tomorrow!

Total - Russian: 30 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:08 pm

7 June
Had a good night's sleep last night so had quite a productive morning at work. But got tired some time around mid-afternoon and the rest of the day was a bit of a write-off.

Russian
Fewer Memrise reviews to get through today so I was able to devote some time this evening to reading Ken Follett. Word which I looked up included:

поджог - arson
пресловутый - notorious
хлопковый - cotton
сковорода - frying pan

Total - Russian: 50 mins, Croatian: 58 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:29 pm

8 June
Catching up on the sleep and feeling less tired now :)

Russian
Did a bit more Memrise before dinner and then got stuck into reading 'Третий близнец' again. Made some more good progress with it and I think I'll definitely finish it this week, maybe even tomorrow.

Today's new words:

иск - lawsuit
мошенничество - fraud
арахис - peanut (I feel like I've looked this word up before but I couldn't remember what it meant today)
шиворот - collar, scruff of the neck

Total - Russian: 46 mins, Croatian: 54 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:06 pm

9 June
Had to go out to an in-person meeting today. One of those meetings that could have been a call :lol:

Russian
While I was waiting for a lift earlier I cleared some Memrise reviews. After I got home from the meeting I needed to go on my treadmill to get up to 10 000 steps and I spent some of that time listening to part of a 'Что это было?' podcast.

The main news of today though is that I (finally!!!) finished read 'Третий близнец' by Ken Follett. It feels like I've been reading this book for ages and checking my spreadsheet I can see that I started it on 15 April so that really is quite a long time ago :shock: It's a substantial book though; 557 pages. It's the 5th physical book I've read in Russian in 2022, taking me up to over 2000 pages read so far this year.

Total - Russian: 42 mins, Croatian: 53 mins
11 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:52 am

Congratulations on finishing your 5th novel in Russian this year, Clare! 8-) Remind me again, how many is that in total for Russian now?
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:59 am

Teango wrote:Congratulations on finishing your 5th novel in Russian this year, Clare! 8-) Remind me again, how many is that in total for Russian now?

I make that 26 since I started reading in May 2020. That's so many I feel like my Russian should be significantly better than it is :lol:
8 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:12 pm

This brings the following excellent post by @mumubird to mind: I've read my first 50 books in Russian.
As a ballpark percentage, how many words on a page in an everyday Russian adult level novel would you say you understand now?
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Teango wrote:This brings the following excellent post by @mumubird to mind: I've read my first 50 books in Russian.
As a ballpark percentage, how many words on a page in an everyday Russian adult level novel would you say you understand now?

Honestly never thought about this so to get an idea, I just opened up Twilight (not really an adult level novel, but the only one I have as a pdf in Russian on my computer!) and picked a random passage of 300 words to put into LWT. From that I established that there were 8 words I didn't understand, so about 97% comprehension. But clearly that is not a literary classic :lol: The better written the book, the lower my comprehension. And my comprehension feels better when reading translations from English vs original fiction in Russian. I guess I need to keep going until I hit 50 novels at least :lol: And I should probably be less lazy about looking up the words I don't know. I hate intensive reading so I don't tend to look words up unless they're crucial to understanding of the plot or the same word crops up enough times that not knowing it becomes more irritating than looking it up.

10 June
One of the items on my to-do list for this weekend was to purchase Covid tests to take before flying to North Carolina at the end of the month. So I was absolutely thrilled to hear today that the requirement to take a test is being dropped :)

Russian
I'm out all day tomorrow so after work this evening I made a start on my usual Saturday morning housework. While I was sorting out laundry I listened to another podcast from Что это было? This one was an interview with a woman who had to flee from Mariupol with her husband and son, both of whom are diabetic. All very harrowing stuff; I need to do more Russian listening but I can't bring myself to listen to these podcasts every day. That wasn't quite 30 minutes but I made up the rest of my time with Memrise.

Total - Russian: 38 mins, Croatian: 47 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:33 pm

11 June
Spent the day out hiking with my sister today. My legs had only just about recovered from Liechtenstein so they didn't necessarily fully enjoy this :lol:

Russian
I spent 10 minutes or so clearing my Memrise reviews while I was at the station waiting for my first train this morning. Travelling by train is definitely a good way to fit in Memrise.

Later on in the journey I listened to another one of the Что это было? podcasts. The title of this one was "Война. Как Путин собирается "возвращать" земли Украины". Honestly, this was one of those podcasts which felt like it was too far above my level for me to get much useful out of it.

Total - Russian: 32 mins

12 June
This was a quiet day at home and I needed it. Lots of life admin to sort out.

Russian
I knew I was going to be busy, so I got my Russian in early and watched an episode of Орёл и Решка. This one was about Yellowstone National Park, which I was really excited to see. The girl who lost the toss and only had 100 dollars to travel on really struggled. There's no public transport so she had to rent a car, but none of the car hire companies would rent to her without a credit card to hold a deposit (which doesn't surprise me, in fairness; I often wonder how the person with 100 dollars has managed to rent a car without a credit card in some of the other episodes). She had to get the guy who had won the toss to come in and pay for her. The car cost $41, which seemed pretty good value, but then she had to pay $30 to get into Yellowstone and needed $30 for petrol, which was already in excess of her budget before she'd eaten any food or found any accommodation. She was very enterprising and went to a shop called Dollar Tree where she bought a load of cheap cleaning materials and made $45 in the car park washing peoples cars :lol: The guy who had unlimited funds rented a caravan, which I thought was a bit odd. It was an absolutely enormous and posh caravan but still, it didn't seem quite as much luxury as the person with unlimited funds normally chooses.

Total - Russian: 50 mins
9 x

Return to “Language logs”