Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby IronMike » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:43 pm

So you found a way to watch Novine? (VPN?) How you liking the 2nd season? I'm on the last episode and I'm unsure what I can find/watch next. I found that Netflix has After Life with Croatian subtitles, but I need listening more than reading.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:34 pm

IronMike wrote:So you found a way to watch Novine? (VPN?) How you liking the 2nd season? I'm on the last episode and I'm unsure what I can find/watch next. I found that Netflix has After Life with Croatian subtitles, but I need listening more than reading.

Yes, I don't have Netflix so I finally installed a VPN and now I can convince the HRT website that I'm in Croatia and watch it there. I'm only five episodes into the second season but I've really been enjoying it. Tomašević makes my skin crawl every time he comes on the screen; such a horrible character! I am just a bit baffled about how any of the journalists ever get any work done; they seem to spend so much time smoking and drinking :lol:

Have you watched the third season? Or is that not on Netflix yet? I think it's available to watch on the HRT website with Croatian subtitles, but not English.

8 September
Left Terceira behind today and flew to the island of São Jorge. There was some concern earlier in the year that São Jorge was on the verge of experiencing a major volcanic eruption. So far that hasn't happened (and hopefully it won't!) though there are some frequent minor earthquakes. I've got an app installed that gives alerts if there is an emergency, though the information is mainly in Portuguese. OMG, Portuguese is impenetrable; I don't know how any of you learn Romance languages :lol:

Russian
The flight this morning was so short that it wasn't worth getting my books out. This afternoon when I got to my apartment I sat down to clear some Memrise reviews, then got stuck into another section in TY Russian. Today was all about negation, which I don't find too difficult in Russian because it's pretty similar to Croatian. The exercises felt easy enough that I could probably have done them in my head but I forced myself to write them out anyway for the practice.

Total - Russian: 33 mins
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 am

Radioclare wrote:Have you watched the third season? Or is that not on Netflix yet? I think it's available to watch on the HRT website with Croatian subtitles, but not English.

Sadly, no third season yet on Netflix. I may have to get a VPN.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:44 pm

9 September
Spent the day exploring the island of Sao Jorge. The weather wasn't great initially - rain and poor visibility - but it improved a bit as the day went on. Strange to be overseas when the Queen has just passed away. At least the VPN I got for watching Croatian TV also allows me to watch the BBC from Portugal!

Russian
I haven't done much today. I've accumulated 10 minutes in total learning new words on Memrise over the course of the day. Didn't have many reviews today for some reason. And this evening I've read for 20 minutes or so, getting through another 10 pages of 'Тайна голландских изразцов'. A new word which I looked up today was "клейстер", which appears to be wallpaper paste.

Total - Russian: 31 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:20 pm

10 September
Took a ferry to the island of Pico today. The sea was quite rough but luckily I am still well stocked with sea sickness tablets after all my trips to Scottish islands during the pandemic :D

Russian
I cleared some Memrise reviews while waiting at the port for my ferry. This evening I've spent some time with TY Russian Grammar again. Today's section was about impersonal constructions which isn't a terribly difficult topic by the standards of Russian grammar. I did learn something about differences in meaning depending on whether you use an imperfective or a perfective verb after нельзя though, so that was useful.

Total - Russian: 44 mins, German: 20 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:11 pm

11 September
Spent the day exploring Pico. It was rather wet and cloudy so didn't quite get to see all the views I was hoping for.

Russian
I got through my Memrise reviews earlier today while I was waiting for some food. This evening I opened TY Russian grammar again and managed to get to the end of the third chapter on verbs. The final bit which I was studying today was about indirect statements and was all fairly straightforward. Just one chapter left in the book now - about prepositions - and then I'll have to decide which resource to use next.

Total - Russian: 40 mins, German: 30 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:14 pm

12 September
Took a ferry from Pico to the neighbouring island of Faial this morning. The weather improved for a while so we had some brilliant sunshine and great views back towards the volcano on Pico. The Azores really are a beautiful place.

Russian
Once I checked into my accommodation on Faial I cleared some Memrise reviews and learned another 10 new words. Then I started the prepositions chapter in TY Russian Grammar. The first section was about prepositions of place, which were fairly straightforward. There was an exercise on the use of в versus на which was pretty straightforward but good practice anyway :)

Total - Russian: 34 mins
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm

IronMike wrote:

Croatian
I watched the final episode of 'Uspjeh' today. Really enjoyed it - there were some great twists. Thanks for the recommendation, DaveAgain!

Damn. Not available in the US. I need something for when I finish Novine.
I was browsing a TV website, and they mentioned the US availability:
Four Strangers (Uspjeh) (1 season/6 episodes) – Croatia.
“Four strangers with nothing in common become entangled in a violent event. What price revenge when fate deals a brutal hand?”. Watch it here.
Square Eyed World links: Walter Presents: The Eastern European Season, Premiere date news.
US availability: HBO/HBO Max (as Success).

https://squareeyedworld.wordpress.com/2 ... ries-list/
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:09 pm

13 September
Spent today exploring the island of Faial. The weather hasn't been perfect, but managed to avoid getting rained on significantly.

Russian
More of the same as far as Russian goes. I've done about 10 minutes of Memrise this afternoon and then continued with the chapter on prepositions in TY Russian grammar. I finished the section on prepositions of place and moved on to a section about the use of prepositions with time.

Total - Russian: 46 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:26 pm

14 September
Spent the morning on Faial doing a final road trip around the island, before flying to the island of Flores this afternoon. Flores is the island I've been most excited about visiting so it's very cool to finally be here :)

Russian
Not a very exciting update today, I'm afraid. I did the usual Memrise at lunchtime while waiting for some food to arrive. I had a bit of a delay while I was in the airport this afternoon, so I sat and spent 20 minutes or so reading some more of 'Тайна голландских изразцов'. On the one hand it was quite hard to concentrate on reading Russian in an airport, because there was a lot of background noise which kept distracting me and making me lose my place. On the other hand, it was a good way to make the time pass because reading Russian requires so much concentration that I didn't have time to think about my flight delay :D

German
I've completely failed to log the time properly, but over the past few days I've been reading a novel called 'Draussen' by Michael Kobr and Volker Klüpfel. They're the duo who have written the series of Kluftinger crime novels which I've been following for years. This novel is a newer venture and it's very different in style from the Kluftinger books. Honestly, it took me a long time to get into it. The start felt very disjointed, which I guess is a risk when you have two different authors writing a book, and it took me a long time to figure out who all the characters were and why I should care about them. That may be partly my fault; I was reading the book in quite a disjointed way, on planes and boats while travelling, so maybe I wasn't concentrating enough. But as I've got further in it's become more exciting and I've definitely been enjoying it :)

Total - Russian: 34 mins, German: approx. 2 hours
7 x

Return to “Language logs”