Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun May 29, 2022 2:15 pm

29 May
Back home from the trustee meeting now but feeling ridiculously tired.

Russian
The tiredness meant I didn't really feel like doing anything. I needed my 10 000 steps though, so I went on the treadmill and watched another episode of 'Орёл и Решка'. Watching TV feels like a lazy way of getting my Russian time in, but I do need to practise listening more. Today's episode was about the US state of Montana. Lots of pretty scenery and interesting facts. There seemed to be a lack of public transport in Montana and so the presenter with the $100 budget had to walk from the airport into the town of Helena. She later rented a car which wasn't too expensive at $45 for the day, but it also had to double up as her accommodation. The cars in America all look absolutely enormous to me!

Total - Russian: 45 mins
8 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun May 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Radioclare wrote:...There seemed to be a lack of public transport in Montana ...

That's because there isn't much public to speak of there. The state is 1.6 times the size of Britain and the population is around one million.
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 pm

iguanamon wrote:
Radioclare wrote:...There seemed to be a lack of public transport in Montana ...

That's because there isn't much public to speak of there. The state is 1.6 times the size of Britain and the population is around one million.

Wow, mind-blowing :shock: It sounds like a great place to live if you don't like people!

30 May
I went for a walk at lunchtime today and I got absolutely drenched :(

Russian
I seemed to have loads of outstanding Memrise reviews today... I guess not helped by the fact that I hadn't logged in to Memrise yesterday... so I spent a fair amount of time after work clearing those.

Then I decided that it was so long since I'd done any grammar that I couldn't justify procrastinating it any longer, so I decided to open TY Russian Grammar. I don't actually know why I was procrastinating it, because I was only doing adverbs and it can't really get any easier than that. I finished that chapter in the end and did all the exercises, which were mostly fine. The next chapter is on numbers, so that's definitely something worth procrastinating :D

Total - Russian: 35 mins, Croatian: 62 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 pm

31 May
Busy day today; it's only a 3-day week but there still seem to be 5 days of work to do.

Russian
I didn't have too many Memrise reviews today so I worked up the enthusiasm to learn some new words. I ending up learning 20, which I'll probably regret over the next few days as the reviews kick in :D

Later I read another chapter of Ken Follett. It feels like I've been reading this book for absolutely ages! I'm going away for a long weekend from Thursday so I'm going to bring it away with me and try to make some more progress with it while travelling.

Total - Russian: 37 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:48 pm

1 June
Busy day at work because it's only a 3-day week in the UK. Now I'm officially on holiday for 4 days and off to Liechtenstein tomorrow, assuming that EasyJet don't cancel my flight.

Russian
I cleared my Memrise reviews after work in between trying to pack hand luggage for my trip away.

Once I was packed I read another chapter of 'Третий близнец'. I looked up a couple of new words: ком (a lump, like a lump in your throat) and бдительно (vigilantly).

Will only be making brief updates over the next few days while I'm travelling.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:26 pm

2 June
Got up at 01.30 this morning for a 07.05 flight from London to Zurich. Obviously a very early start but exciting, because this weekend's trip to Liechtenstein is another thing which I had originally planned for May 2020. Liechtenstein is really beautiful and massively surpassing my expectations so far :)

Russian
Really boring update as far as Russian is concerned today, I'm afraid. I cleared a few reviews while I was waiting for my breakfast at the airport this morning, but I didn't actually have too many because it was a comparatively short time since I'd last cleared them and gone to bed. I learned 20 new words in the airport instead to pass the time. That meant that by the time I eventually got to my hotel in Liechtenstein this afternoon, I had a pile more reviews waiting for me to clear.

That's a long way of saying I've just done 30 mins of Memrise today!

Total - Russian: 30 mins
5 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:20 pm

Montana is huge. But check out Alaska. My dad used to love to tell Texans that if Alaska was cut exactly in half, Texas would be the third largest state in the U.S. ;)
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:38 pm

3 June
Liechtenstein is really beautiful. Did a long hike today which turned out to be more strenuous than I'd expected, but the views were absolutely stunning.

Russian
I cleared some Memrise reviews this afternoon once I got back from the hike. Then I decided that I needed to force myself to read some more of 'Третий близнец'. I was planning just to read enough pages to get me up to my 30 minutes, but I actually got really into the story again and ended up reading for longer than I intended :) Too lazy to look up any new words today though!

Total - Russian: 49 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:01 pm

4 June
Did a day trip to Bregenz in Austria today and had a beautiful walk by the Bodensee :) Public transport in this part of the world works so well; one of our buses was slightly delayed and the second bus waited for it so that passengers could still make the connection. Impossible to imagine something like that happening in the UK!

Russian
Another boring update today, I'm afraid. Most of my journey was by bus and I can't read on buses, but the final leg was by train from Feldkirch to Bregenz. I used that time to read another few short chapters of 'Третий близнец'. I'll be sad when I finish this book because it's been such a conveniently sized paperback to carry when travelling :D

Total - Russian: 31 mins
9 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:14 am

Radioclare wrote:Impossible to imagine something like that happening in the UK!

I've seen it happen with trains, though it's mostly been other passengers taking pity on their fellow commuters and standing in the way of the doors so they won't close and giving the people sprinting from one platform to another (up and down stairs) a chance of making the connection rather than having to wait half an hour for the next train. Probably not quite the vibe you've just experienced though!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”