Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby IronMike » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:35 pm

Radioclare wrote:Also - I have probably mentioned this before - but even if you don't speak Croatian it's worth considering following Croatian traveller Kristijan Iličić on Instagram. He's just got back from a trip to Afghanistan and is uploading stories showing what life is like there under the Taliban. He travelled to Afghanistan a couple of years ago, then led a massive fundraiser to help the guy who had been his guide there escape the country with his family when the Taliban took control.

Thanks for this. Following him now.

The kids were the best part of Afghanistan.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:09 pm

29 June
Still very busy. Working a bit less than a full day tomorrow and flying to Dublin in the early evening for the first part of my trip.

Russian
Worked late this evening to get some things done so haven't done loads of Russian. I spent the best part of 15 minutes clearing Memrise reviews which was pretty boring. One bright spot which was when one of the words which cropped up in my list turned out to be "внедрение"; this is not a word which I have ever succeeded in remembering previously. BUT it also cropped up in one of the Russian with Max podcasts that I listened to on the way back from the dentist on Monday, so this time I actually got it :)

Listened to another podcast this evening but didn't enjoy this one so much. It was an interview format and those just aren't my favourite podcasts in general.

Total - Russian: 36 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 pm

30 June
Very busy day at work today. But successfully caught my first flight on time and have made it as far as Dublin.

Russian
I cleared Memrise reviews for a few minutes while I was at the airport, but I didn't get very far.

While I was on the plane I did some reading, but I wasn't able to look up any new words and for some reason I seemed to be in a chapter where there were lots of new words that I could have looked up. Never mind!

Total - Russian: 33 mins, Croatian: 53 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:50 pm

1 July
I made it to America! Well, I made it to Boston Airport. My transatlantic flight was delayed so I missed my connection to my ultimate destination of Raleigh and just waiting for another flight at the moment.

Russian
A really boring Russian update, I'm afraid. I had lots of time waiting around in Dublin Airport this morning, so I spent 30 minutes of it on Memrise. Cleared my backlog of reviews, which was quite long, and learned 20 new words. And that's it for today!

Total - Russian: 32 mins
10 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:19 pm

Radioclare wrote:I made it to America! Well, I made it to Boston Airport. My transatlantic flight was delayed so I missed my connection to my ultimate destination of Raleigh and just waiting for another flight at the moment.

I'm imagining some Esperanto logging in the near future. Hope you have a great time!
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:34 am

2 July
I made it to Raleigh late last night and have had some time to explore the town today. I didn't know what to expect but there are some really interesting buildings.

Russian
Another really boring update from me; just more Memrise today. I've been catching up on reviews throughout the day and in total they've come to 31 minutes. I was hoping to get some reading in today but I haven't had time. Lots of Esperanto though!

Total - Russian: 31 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:45 pm

3 July
Spent some more time exploring Raleigh today. It's so incredibly hot, I can only go outside in short bursts. Tried some American food; we experimented with biscuits and gravy at breakfast. Definitely very different to what English people think of when you say biscuits and gravy :lol:

Russian
I managed to be more diligent and do some reading in Russian today, which took me up to the end of the third chapter of 'Имя потерпевшего: Никто'. I've read 138 pages, so that gives you some idea of how long the chapters are.

Words which I looked up today included:

причёска - hairstyle
узел - in the sense used in the book, a bun (the sort you put your hair into)

Total - Russian: 33 mins, plus lots of uncounted Esperanto!
9 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:47 pm

Radioclare wrote:Cleared my backlog of reviews, which was quite long,

You're my hero! When I finally grow up, I want to be like you! :-)
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:49 pm

4 July
I'm working remotely at my day job this week, so today was a normal working day for me. Less Esperanto spoken, as I was mainly at the desk in my room using English.

Russian
This evening I cleared my Memrise reviews again. I was quite pleased because one of the words that I struggled with when I was reading yesterday was мгновение and then that came up in my Memrise reviews today. I mean, the fact that I didn't recognise it when I was reading obviously means that my Memrise vocab doesn't stick in my head very well, but never mind :D

I did a bit more reading this evening, 20 pages or so, but was too lazy to look up any words.

Total - Russian: 31 mins
11 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:10 pm

5 July
Went out to a park in Raleigh last night to watch a fireworks display for the 4th of July. It was a pretty long walk there and back but overall it was a really cool experience :)

Russian
A few minutes of Memrise today, but mainly reading. I thought by this stage in the detective story I might have some idea of where the plot is heading, but I don't.

The words which I looked up today included "бережливый" (frugal, thrifty) and "муторный" (dreary). The former was used in the context of the police officers in the book being told that they weren't going to get paid their December salaries until at least the end of January :shock: I don't think anyone I know would do any work at all if they were told that :lol:

Total - Russian: 33 mins
8 x

Return to “Language logs”