Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:18 am

13 July
Visited Black Canyon of the Gunnison national park in Colorado today. Wasn't sure whether another canyon could be impressive after seeing the Grand Canyon, but this one was pretty cool too - just in a different way.

Russian
Today was a pretty full on day of travelling and walking, so I didn't get any Memrise done until I checked into my hotel this evening. Once I'd done that I continued reading. I'm around three quarters of the way through the book now. It's been switching between viewpoints of two separate characters and I've just got to the point where their narratives have crossed, so looking forward to finding out who the murderer is soon!

Total - Russian: 33 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:46 am

14 July
Made it to the Rocky Mountain National Park today. From what I've seen so far it's an incredibly beautiful place.

Russian
I did 10 minutes of Memrise when I got to my hotel, then after I'd drunk a cup of coffee to wake me up I did some more reading in Russian. Getting quite into the story now, with the result that I only intended to read for 20 minutes but actually ended up reading for 35 :) The main word which I looked up today was "броня" (armour).

Total - Russian: 45 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:50 am

15 July
Did an incredibly beautiful hike in the Rocky Mountains today. Some stunning views, only slightly marred by a shocking amount of mosquitoes.

Russian
Today was another 4am start to try and get the hiking done before the weather became too hot and the trails become too crowded. We were done by mid-morning, so I came back and sat on the balcony of my hotel room and read in Russian for a while. The result was that I finally finished reading "Имя потерпевшего: Никто" :) It was only 318 pages - so definitely not the longest book I've read in Russian - but it does seem to have taken me a while to get through. I am still finding books originally written in Russian a bit more difficult to read than books which have been translated from English.

Total - Russian: 42 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:25 am

16 July
Very long day of driving to South Dakota today. Saw Mount Rushmore which was very exciting :)

Russian
This evening I started reading a new book in Russian. This one is called "Стечение обстоятельств" and it's also by Alexandra Marinina, the author of the book I've just finished. This is the first in her series of detective novels, of which I've read a handful now in a completely random order. I wasn't desperate to read the first one but I managed to purchase it for my Kindle so I thought it would be a good one to read while travelling :)

Total - Russian: 30 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:59 am

17 July
Wonderful hike in South Dakota this morning, followed by a looong drive to Wyoming. Went to Walmart for the first time, which I was quite excited about until I found out that they don't sell alcohol. At least, the one I was at (in Casper, Wyoming) didn't sell alcohol and we had to go to a separate liquor store. It felt a bit like being in one of the Nordic countries; I'll never forget my confusion on my first trip to Norway when I couldn't find any alcohol in the supermarket :D

Russian
A boring language update. I hadn't logged into Memrise yesterday or the day before, so when I logged in this evening I found I had enough reviews to fill an entire half hour.

Total - Russian: 31 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:53 am

18 July
Visited Grand Teton National Park today. Totally stunning, though I was slightly terrified about the risk of meeting a bear.

Russian
Once I got back this evening I decided to read a bit more of "Стечение обстоятельств", the detective story I started reading on my Kindle the other day. My initial plan was to read a chapter, but when the Kindle told me that there were 45 minutes remaining in the chapter I decided that was too ambitious a goal. I did read a section of a chapter though and I looked up a few words as follows:

двоечник - in the context used in the story, it meant a pupil who was in danger of failing a year at school
сито - sieve

Total - Russian: 32 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:37 am

19 July
Originally the plan was to travel to Yellowstone today, but that ended up getting cancelled because of the terrible flooding there recently. So I'm visiting Idaho instead. Not a state that's ever been on my bucket list, but so far it seems nice :)

Russian
Did a bit of Memrise in the hotel this evening to stop the reviews getting out of control and then made some more progress reading. Still haven't managed to finish the chapter I started the other day (it really is long!) but getting a bit more into the story. Words which I've looked up this evening include "торшер" (which seems to be a lamp, like the type of lamp you'd have standing on a floor) and "самбо", which confused me for a long time but seems to be a type of self-defence.

Total - Russian: 46 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:28 am

20 July
Explored a bit of southern Idaho today and saw some very pretty waterfalls :)

Russian
Kept on top of the Memrise reviews this evening and then read a bit more of 'Стечение обстоятельств'. I finished the monster 45-minute chapter that I started earlier in the week and moved on to chapter three. Key words which I looked up today were "нашатырный спирт" (seems to be something to do with ammonia, possibly used as smelling salts) and "арбуз" (watermelon), which I'm sure is a word I have already learned once and forgotten.

Total - Russian: 30 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:57 am

21 July
Did a hike in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho today. Absolutely beautiful place.

Russian
Felt tired this evening. Cleared the Memrise reviews, which took longer than I expected, and then did a bit more reading from 'Стечение обстоятельств'. I got to the end of the third chapter, which seemed to be considerably shorter than the very long second chapter. Although I don't think this is a series of detective fiction which necessarily needs to be read in the correct order - and I certainly haven't been reading it that way - it is definitely interesting to read the first book in a series where I've read a handful of the other books already. One of the things I tend to struggle with most with these novels is keeping track of the names of various police detectives etc. Because this is the first book in the series they are all being properly introduced with a bit of back story, so that's helpful :)

Total - Russian: 43 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:04 am

22 July
Drove to Montana today and have successfully completed the first leg of my long journey home; a flight from Bozeman to Denver. Currently stuck in Denver waiting for a delayed flight to Chicago.

Russian
Got through my Memrise reviews earlier while I was waiting around in Bozeman. Then did some reading on the plane, but didn't look any words up; I thought I had Google Translate for Russian downloaded for offline use but it didn't want to work today for some reason.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
5 x

Return to “Language logs”