Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:59 pm

23 July
Made it as far as Chicago last night, although not until 2am. This afternoon I'm flying back to the UK.

Russian
Currently killing some time in the airport hotel before checking out, so I've cleared my Memrise reviews and just done a bit more reading. Managed to get to the end of the fourth chapter of my current novel. The main word I looked up this time was гололедица (black ice).

Total - Russian: 40 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:02 pm

24 July
What a day! My flight from Chicago to Dublin was delayed by a couple of hours yesterday afternoon - for no very good reason - with the result that I missed my connecting flight back to Birmingham. I got a seat on the next flight to Birmingham four hours later, but then that flight was delayed by another four hours or so. I made it home in the end but it has involved a lot of frustrating time sitting around.

Russian
Cleared my Memrise reviews at some point when I was bored in Dublin airport this morning. I also did some reading in Russian at a point when I was still comparatively alert and had drunk coffee. The main words I looked up were "кадык" (Adam's apple) and "выговор" (reprimand, rebuke).

Total - Russian: 37 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:10 pm

25 July
First day back at work today. 236 emails but narrowed it down to about 35 which I actually needed to do anything about. Still feeling pretty tired; my Fitbit informs me I only slept 1.5 hours on Saturday night, which feels about right.

Russian
While I was away I haven't done any listening in Russian at all, so that's something I need to focus on over the next few weeks. I made a start with a Russian with Max podcast today, which was 22 minutes, and then spent some more time clearing Memrise reviews. I listened to the podcast while out on a walk; I normally find listening to Russian while walking difficult as the traffic causes me to miss too much, but I got on okay with this one. I think the fact that he talks more slowly made it easier to follow even when there was a lot of background noise.
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:59 pm

26 July
Have felt a little bit less tired today, although still wasn't thrilled when the alarm went off this morning!

Russian
Pretty much a repeat of yesterday, except I listened to my Russian with Max podcast while sitting down rather than going for a walk. I need to do a lot of listening so I figured I might as well go right back to the beginning and listen to the whole back catalogue one by one. This one was about the world of work and it was a good way to build some vocabulary on that theme. Otherwise just did a bit of Memrise. Having been away for three weeks, I'm still dealing with a backlog of post holiday admin tasks so those have taken up the rest of my evening.

Total - Russian: 30 mins, Croatian: 53 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:33 pm

27 July
Had to travel into the office for a meeting today. Was a bit worried that I wouldn't make it as there's been a train strike happening today, but in the end everything worked fine.

Russian
The commute would have been an ideal opportunity to listen to some podcasts and I'd even been organised enough to download some to my Spotify in advance. Unfortunately I wasn't organised enough to also pack some earphones :lol:

So no podcasts! But I did clear some Memrise reviews while waiting for the train this morning and on the way back I read a bit more of 'Стечение обстоятельств', making it to the end of chapter five.

Total - Russian: 34 mins
5 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:12 pm

You've seen part of the US that I've wanted to see for years. I think the only monument/site you saw that I've seen is Mt Rushmore.
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:37 pm

IronMike wrote:You've seen part of the US that I've wanted to see for years. I think the only monument/site you saw that I've seen is Mt Rushmore.

They were all really beautiful places :) Even Idaho was surprisingly interesting to visit!

28 July
Was working from home today which was good; I'm still feeling tired after the trip.

Russian
Had a meeting over lunchtime today, which meant I couldn't go out for a walk. I made myself go for a walk after work instead because I had a letter I needed to post, so I used the time to listen to another Russian with Max podcast. This one was about vegetarianism, starting by talking about where the word came from, what the history of it is, so that was quite interesting. Started another podcast which was talking about the days of the week, but got home before I finished that one.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:46 pm

29 July
Had a half day at work today which was nice. Think I'm going to have a lie in tomorrow to try and catch up on the sleep I missed last weekend.

Russian
I had about 20 minutes of Memrise reviews to clear this evening so I was tempted to extend that to 30 minutes by learning some new words. But I forced myself to be more proactive and to start looking for a new series to watch in Russian. I'm quite enjoying listening to the Russian with Max podcasts and it's definitely something I'm going to keep doing, but the problem is that I find them quite straightforward to understand. I still find Russian TV series almost incomprehensible and so I know I need to spend more time watching Russian TV, even if it isn't hugely enjoyable.

Anyway, I went on the ivi website and tried to find a series that had vast quantities of episodes, because that's something that's worked for me before with Croatian. Eventually I found a series called 'Обручальное кольцо' (Wedding ring) which seems to have hundreds and hundreds of episodes, probably more than I can ever motivate myself to watch. But I watched the first episode this evening at least and that's a start :)

Total - Russian: 66 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:45 pm

30 July
Today was the first Saturday I've had at home since 25 June so it has involved a lie in, some housework and some admin. But in between all that I did try to fit in a bit more language time as I feel like I've been stagnating with everything recently. I've tentatively signed up to the 6WC in the hope that it will inspire me to be more motivated.

Russian
The Memrise reviews weren't too bad today and I started a new chapter of 'Стечение обстоятельств'. Words which I looked up included "дробь" (fraction).

I forced myself to open TY Russian Grammar which I had been slowly making my way through before my trip. I knew I was procrastinating going back to it for some reason and when I opened it and found that the next chapter was about numbers, I knew why :lol: Oh dear. Declension of numbers is something I still haven't mastered in Russian. I had another go at it today and I made some progress with two and three, but I'm still losing the plot when it comes to four.

Croatian
I'm still watching the series 'Kumovi' on the treadmill, although I'll have to find something else to watch soon because the series has paused for the summer and I'm nearly at the end of the recorded episodes. This afternoon I started reading a booked called 'Pitanje časti', which is a translation of a novel by Jeffrey Archer. Jeffrey Archer is one of my guilty pleasures in English, but I feel like reading him in a foreign language is a bit more intellectual :D

Total - Russian: 49 mins, Croatian: 103 mins
9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:16 pm

Radioclare wrote:Croatian
I'm still watching the series 'Kumovi' on the treadmill, although I'll have to find something else to watch soon because the series has paused for the summer and I'm nearly at the end of the recorded episodes.
Channel 4 have a Croatian mini-series, Uspjeh (UK title: Four strangers).
2 x

Return to “Language logs”