Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:04 am

6 July
Went to watch a baseball game tonight, which was quite exciting even though I didn't understand a lot of it.

Russian
That means it's another really boring language update, unfortunately. I had a fairly tough day at work with a 7am start followed by a four-hour meeting, so there wasn't much scope for getting anything done before going to the baseball. I did 15 minutes of Memrise reviews in the car on the way there, then another 20 minutes just now once I got back.

Total - Russian: 35 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:58 am

7 July
Nothing as exciting as baseball today. A fairly stressful work day though with other people not doing what they were supposed to be doing at the right times. The weather took a turn for the worse here this evening with some thunderstorms; when it rains, it really rains!

Russian
We were actually out for an evening walk when it started pouring with rain, so we had to take shelter in a McDonalds. I used the time to clear a few Memrise reviews. Once the weather dried up a bit and I got back to the university, I made a bit more progress reading "Имя потерпевшего: Никто". The main word which I tried to look up today was "лохушка". I didn't really manage to find an exact definition, but I think the sentence where it was used in the book was trying to say something like the character in question wasn't an idiot.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
8 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:27 pm

Radioclare wrote:The main word which I tried to look up today was "лохушка". I didn't really manage to find an exact definition, but I think the sentence where it was used in the book was trying to say something like the character in question wasn't an idiot.

Лохушка is one possible feminine version of лох, which is close in meaning to "idiot" but usually with connotations of being naïve and/or out of the loop and thus easy to take advantage of.
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:44 am

Thank you vonPeterhof - that makes sense :)

8 July
Today was the final day of the NASK Esperanto event in Raleigh. Also my final day at work for two weeks, so it was a pretty hard one trying to get everything done before finishing. Spoke lots of Esperanto this evening, though I'm still finding that I'm forgetting the simplest of words. I wanted to say "sand" this evening and all I could think of was the Croatian word "pijesak"; I had to ask my other half to confirm that the Esperanto word is "sablo". I don't think I'm cut out to speak multiple languages :lol:

Russian
Another really boring update I'm afraid, because tonight was mostly about the closing ceremony of the Esperanto event and going to the pub afterwards. I've cleared all my Russian Memrise reviews and learned 20 new words. Not all at once, I hasten to add. Half of it was during an early afternoon visit to the pub and the other half was while waiting for Esperantists to congregate for another pub visit later in the evening.

Total - Russian: 38 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:23 am

9 July
A very very long day of travelling today. But now I'm in Arizona!

Russian
The good news is that I got my Russian in early in the day when I was still relatively awake. I spent quite a long time reading in Russian in Raleigh airport this morning while waiting for my first flight and I felt like I was getting into the storyline of the book a bit more. My reading has been quite short and unfocused over the past week so I've felt like I was losing the thread a bit, but this was better :-)

Total - Russian: 47 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:15 am

10 July
Went to see the Grand Canyon today. Absolutely mind-blowing. I'm not really a morning person but we managed to get up at 5am so that we could do a hike before the weather got too hot. Definitely worth it!

Russian
I cleared some Memrise reviews this afternoon while waiting for some food in a Wendys. Never been to Wendys before, so that was an experience! I definitely won't come back from this trip to the USA any thinner :?

Later in the afternoon I did a bit more reading. 215 pages into this novel now but still have no idea who the murderer is.

Total - Russian: 40 mins
13 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:15 am

Radioclare wrote:10 July
Went to see the Grand Canyon today. Absolutely mind-blowing. I'm not really a morning person but we managed to get up at 5am so that we could do a hike before the weather got too hot. Definitely worth it!

Russian
I cleared some Memrise reviews this afternoon while waiting for some food in a Wendys. Never been to Wendys before, so that was an experience! I definitely won't come back from this trip to the USA any thinner :?

Later in the afternoon I did a bit more reading. 215 pages into this novel now but still have no idea who the murderer is.

Total - Russian: 40 mins

You get pictures? I have yet to see the Grand Canyon, but our son lives in Vegas and will be getting married in September, so perhaps then?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:26 am

IronMike wrote:You get pictures? I have yet to see the Grand Canyon, but our son lives in Vegas and will be getting married in September, so perhaps then?

I have waaay too many pictures! It's absolutely incredible, would definitely recommend :)

20220710_065557.jpg

11 July
Got up even earlier today - 4am - to see sunrise over the Grand Canyon. Worth it but have been ridiculously tired since around midday :lol:

Russian
That means that my motivation to do Russian has been pretty low. I've fitted in 11 minutes of Memrise reviews in short intervals when waiting for things over the course of the day. And this evening I've managed to read another 15 pages or so of Имя потерпевшего: Никто. I've just got to the point of the story where there's been a big reveal and I think I now know where the plot is going :)

Total - Russian: 34 mins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:50 am

My sister lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 15 years so I visited the Grand Canyon several times and its one of those global landmarks that still astonishes no matter how many photos you have seen. She even had her citizenship ceremony on the edge of the Grand Canyon which was way cooler than the local basketball stadium which was the other option. Still, it is the red rocks around Sedona that I still remember the most from around there. Glad you're having a great trip AND keeping up Russian daily, truly incredible. :)
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:35 am

Amandine wrote:My sister lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 15 years so I visited the Grand Canyon several times and its one of those global landmarks that still astonishes no matter how many photos you have seen. She even had her citizenship ceremony on the edge of the Grand Canyon which was way cooler than the local basketball stadium which was the other option. Still, it is the red rocks around Sedona that I still remember the most from around there. Glad you're having a great trip AND keeping up Russian daily, truly incredible. :)

Wow, that must have been an amazing place to have a citizenship ceremony :) I haven't had time to see Sedona on this trip but would love to another time, it looks beautiful. My daily Russian doesn't feel very impressive at the moment, it's literally just doing the bare minimum!

12 July
Left Arizona behind today and after a long drive through the desert reached a place called Four Corners, where the borders of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado all meet in one place. Very exciting to stand in four states at the same time :D

Russian
Minimal Russian continues. Cleared some Memrise reviews while waiting for food in Taco Bell earlier (I'd never been to a Taco Bell before so was quite excited to try it!). The food actually took quite a long time to come, so I ended up learning some new words as well to pass the time. Then this evening I've done a little bit of reading. I was feeling pretty lazy and didn't want to look up any words but I ended up having to consult google when I came across the word "токсикоз". I didn't know what it meant but there's a clear similarity with the word "toxic" and in the context of a detective story I was wondering whether one of the characters had been poisoned. That wouldn't really have fitted with the type of story this is though, so I was a bit confused. I remained confused for a while but after a bit more googling I've come to the conclusion that in the context used in this story it's referring to morning sickness in pregnancy.

Total - Russian: 33 mins
9 x

Return to “Language logs”