Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 pm

13 June
Felt kinda tired all day today, like I needed a weekend to recover from my weekend :D

Russian
I had to sit through an hour of boring training this morning, so I used 10 minutes of it to clear my Memrise reviews :oops: It wasn't training that required any kind of interaction, it was just a pre-recorded video I had to listen to to make sure there wasn't anything in it that I needed to know.

This evening I started reading a new book in Russian. This one is called 'Имя потерпевшего: Никто' and it's by Alexandra Marinina. Harder than Ken Follett but I've read several of her books before so hopefully this one should be doable :)

Total - Russian: 52 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:27 pm

14 June
Actually had to go to the office today. Haven't really been in central Birmingham much since the pandemic so it felt kind of weird how busy and "normal" it was.

Russian
I had plans to listen to Russian podcasts while I was commuting and rack up loads of Russian minutes today. But I didn't plan these plans very well because I forgot to pack any wireless earphones in my work bag :( I had wired earphones but neither my personal phone nor my work phone have an earphone socket so that didn't get me very far.

Never mind. I did some Memrise reviews while I was standing on the way home. And this evening I did some more reading.

Total - Russian: 38 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:57 pm

15 June
Losing motivation for Russian a bit at the moment. Partly the war and partly just everything else that's going on in life. I was supposed to be going to Yellowstone in July, so the terrible flooding there this week means I've spent most of my evening googling "Is there anything to see in Idaho?" So far I've found a potato museum :lol:

Russian
I spent ten minutes or so doing Memrise reviews this evening. And then I did some more reading. New words I looked up today included:

одышка - being short of breath
хворый - another word for sick/ill

Total - Russian: 38 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
11 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:44 am

Radioclare wrote:So far I've found a potato museum :lol:

I like to remind my mum of a lawnmower museum she - in desperation - took us to during one (very wet) summer holiday.
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:

I like to remind my mum of a lawnmower museum she - in desperation - took us to during one (very wet) summer holiday.

I have a similar childhood memory of visiting the Northwich Salt Museum. But I think a lawnmower museum beats that :lol:

16 June
Had to go to the office today for some training but not my local office, rather the HQ office which is in the East Midlands. Despite having spent 15 years working in offices, I've decided I now don't really like them. Working from home is more fun :lol:

Russian
I knew today was going to be a difficult day for language learning so I put myself through the very painful experience of getting on the treadmill at 06.45 and listening to podcasts from Что это было?. I started with one called "Война. Почему Россия так долго возвращает тела погибших в Украине" and I felt like my comprehension was reasonably good. I mean, reasonably good bearing it mind it was before 7am and I hadn't had breakfast. That was quite a short podcast, so once that was done I started listening to a second one called "Чему война уже научила западных военных и политиков?". I felt like my comprehension of that one was much lower. But that may just be because I'd already lost the will to live by that point :lol:

Total - Russian: 36 mins
8 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Caromarlyse wrote:

I have a similar childhood memory of visiting the Northwich Salt Museum. But I think a lawnmower museum beats that :lol:

There's also the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota, which is a must-see. :)
4 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:34 pm

17 June
Hello from Mallorca :) This is a very last-minute trip, only booked a few weeks ago, but my first ever visit to Mallorca so quite excited about that.

Russian
Obviously this means I haven't done much Russian. I wimped out of clearing my Memrise reviews at the airport this morning, even though it wasn't a particularly early start by my normal standards. I did clear my reviews later this evening though once I got to the hotel. And then I made a bit more progress with reading "Имя потерпевшего: Никто". I'm 50 pages into it now and finding it reasonably straightforward to follow the plot. The main word I looked up today was глюк, which in the context of the book was a hallucination of the sort you'd get if you were taking certain drugs.

Total - Russian: 39 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:50 pm

18 June
Fun road trip across Mallorca to the northern coast of the island today. The combination of sea and mountains is really beautiful.

Russian
Sat on the balcony in the sunshine this morning, making some more progress with the Russian detective novel I've started. Words I looked up today included:

подписка - subscription
канитель - a waste of time (in the context used in the book)
неоднократно - repeatedly
сговор - collusion

Total - Russian: 41 minutes
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:21 pm

19 June
Another lovely day in Mallorca, visiting the town of Soller. Back at work tomorrow so flying home this evening.

Russian
Another boring update, I'm afraid. I've been doing bits and pieces of Memrise while waiting in the airport to get me up to 30 minutes. Cleared my reviews, cleared my "difficult words' and also learned 20 new ones.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm

20 June
Back home today! I seem to have loads on my list to do though (always the way when I get back from a trip!) so I haven't found time for loads of Russian.

Russian
I had some boring housework tasks to do once I finished work, so I decided to listen to some Russian podcasts. I'm struggling to find the enthusiasm to get stuck into a new Russian series at the moment, so I'm behind schedule with my Russian listening goal for the year. I'm also missing listening to the Russian Progress podcasts and videos, which I always really enjoyed in the pre-war times. In the absence of any better ideas, I listened to another one of the Что это было? podcasts. This one was called "Как иностранцы воюют за Украину?" and I felt like I made a reasonable attempt of following it. I started to listen to a second podcast after that, but gave up because it was all too depressing. I think I need to find some podcasts with happier themes :D

Total - Russian: 40 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
8 x

Return to “Language logs”