Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:38 pm

22 April
Made it to the Esperanto conference in Wales. And feel like I've forgotten all the Esperanto I ever knew, but never mind :lol:

Russian
A difficult day to fit in any study. In between different bits of the programme this evening I managed to clear my Memrise reviews and learn 10 new words.

I've brought TY Russian Grammar with me, mainly because it was a suitable size to pack, so before bed this evening I've also managed to find some time to read about the genitive singular and plural forms of adjectives. Much easier than the genitive plural of nouns :D

Total - Russian: 36 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:43 pm

23 April
Long day at the conference. Many hours of Esperanto listened to.

Russian
I managed to get some Memrise reviews done during various coffee breaks. Once I got back to my hotel this evening, I also read a chapter of 'Третий близнец". Really enjoying the story and could have kept reading it I didn't have an AGM I need to get up for in the morning. I looked up the word плотник (carpenter) and as soon as I saw the definition I felt like this was a word I did already know but had temporarily forgotten.

Total - Russian: 35 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:12 pm

24 April
Survived the AGM of the Esperanto Association. Never my favourite day of the year because I don't like talking in front of groups of people.

Russian
I woke up earlier than I needed to this morning and so that gave me time to read another chapter of the Ken Follett book I'm reading in Russian at the moment. I'm still enjoying it; it definitely feels harder to read than Agatha Christie, for example, but it's a doable level of hardness.

That chapter took me over 20 minutes. I've made the rest of the time up via Memrise reviews between the various lectures today.

Total - Russian: 31 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:03 pm

25 April
Got back home from the Esperanto conference this evening. Had time for a lovely walk by the sea before setting off though.

Russian
I felt pretty tired by the time I got home. In some ways it was an enjoyable weekend and in some ways it was a stressful one. So all I've done this evening is read one more chapter of 'Третий близнец'. It felt like a slightly harder chapter today. I looked up the word "равенство" and got the definition "equality", but in the context of the book it felt more like it was referring to an equation.

Total - Russian: 30 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:02 pm

26 April
I realised today that I managed to get sunburned yesterday. In Wales, in April. So now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about what's going to happen to me in Arizona in July :lol:

Russian
Being away for the weekend meant I had some housework to catch up on this evening, but once I'd finished with that I sat down and cleared my Memrise reviews. I hadn't logged in at all yesterday, but they weren't too bad.

Later I read not one but two chapters from 'Третий близнец'. I'm over 100 pages into it now, it's definitely very readable.

Otherwise I just spent around 10 minutes revising the endings for dative adjectives in TY Russian Grammar.

Esperanto
I forgot to say that one of the most interesting things I learned this weekend was about the Esperanto names for US states, which is not a topic I've ever given much thought to before. The state of Colorado is Koloradio in Esperanto rather than Kolorado because Kolorado is the Esperanto name for the river Colorado. But Arizona is Arizono rather than Arizonio, because there isn't a river Arizona.

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 56 mins

Trying to decide whether to bother signing up for either the Super Challenge or the 6 Week Challenge from 1 May. So far this year I've already watched 85 hours of Croatian TV and 51 hours of Russian TV. Plus read five physical books in Russian and four in Croatian. So while I do still have some problems finding the motivation to watch things in Russian, overall I feel like I probably don't need the SC to make me read and watch any more. I need a challenge that will make me do things that are less fun like practising verbs :lol:
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:42 pm

27 April
This week seems to be going fast. I took Monday off for the Esperanto thing and I'm taking Friday off as well, so I kinda feel like a part-timer :D

Russian
I think today's update is pretty similar to yesterdays. I cleared my Memrise reviews, which weren't too bad today, and read another section from TY Russian Grammar. Today's theme was adjective endings in the instrumental. Adjective endings really aren't as difficult as noun endings :) Later I read another chapter of Ken Follett but this was a really short chapter, so only a handful of pages.

Still undecided on the SC but currently leaning towards "no". The fact that the bot is up and running again is tempting me though :D

Total - Russian: 31 mins, Croatian: 54 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:32 pm

28 April
Today felt like a long day. I had to travel to an in-person meeting this morning, a rarity in itself these days, but there was a problem with my train which meant I was going to be late. And then this afternoon I had what I thought was going to be a really difficult phone call, but it actually turned out to be nowhere near as difficult as I expected.

Tomorrow I am going to France for a long weekend! This is a trip which was originally booked in October 2019 and supposed to happen in May 2020 but which, obviously, didn't. So I'm quite excited that it's finally happening now.

Russian
I've been busy with things like packing this evening, so I haven't devoted much time to Russian.

I spent 11 minutes clearing my Memrise reviews before dinner and then after dinner I listened to the latest podcast episode from 'Что это было?'. Won't go into the details; clearly these podcasts have only been on one theme for the past two months!

I'm only travelling with hand luggage to France - and I'm attempting to travel light, because I've got to carry it around on my back all weekend - but after a bit of deliberation I decided to pack 'Третий близнец' so that I can use that for my 30 minutes of Russian over the next few days. Haven't got space to bring any grammar books. Whether I'll feel like reading Russian on the plane tomorrow after getting up at 03.00 for an early morning flight is an open question :lol:

Total - Russian: 49 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
12 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:25 pm

29 April
Very early start this morning but totally worth it because I am now in Nice. It's unbelievably sunny and I got burned within a couple of hours of being here :lol:

Russian
Traveling means not much Russian done today. I cleared my Memrise reviews earlier while waiting for some food. Then this evening I've read two fairly short chapters of the Ken Follett novel. Still absolutely no idea where the plot is going with this one.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:26 pm

30 April
The purpose of this trip was actually to visit Monaco, which is one of the few European countries I hadn't yet visited. Achieved that objective today, though I'd be lying if I said I absolutely loved Monaco. Probably didn't help that I inadvertently turned up in the middle of a car race. Obviously can't afford to stay in Monaco (:lol:) so tonight I'm in Menton, a beautiful town further down the French coast.

Russian
I cleared my Memrise reviews while waiting for some food earlier and I was actually disappointed that I didn't have more of them. I swear when I'm really busy and can't be bothered with Memrise I have 100s of reviews, and then when I have time to kill and want to use it to get through some of my Russian minutes, I barely have any. I had to learn 10 new words instead to kill the time.

Later this evening I read another few short chapters of 'Третий близнец'. Still really enjoying it, it's such a page-turner that when I've finished reading a chapter I have to resist the temptation to start another one. That's not something that often happens to me in Russian :lol:

Total - Russian: 34 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun May 01, 2022 4:33 pm

1 May
Menton is really close to the Italian border, so today I've been able to visit Italy :)

Russian
I had some spare time before I needed to go out this morning and I'm enjoying 'Третий близнец' so much that I actually chose to spend that time reading in Russian rather than in English :shock: That's not something that happens very often! But it feels like Ken Follett is just about right for my level in Russian at the moment.

After a bit of reflection I've decided not to sign up for the Super Challenge or the 6WC at the moment. I've found a few times recently that the 6WC isn't terribly motivating for me, because having to go onto Twitter at least once a day to log things is more likely to derail me than make me more productive. I was very tempted to do the SC, but while I do need to be a bit more diligent about watching TV in Russian overall I don't think listening/reading are activities which I'm struggling to do at the moment and signing up to a challenge just for the sake of it probably wouldn't be the most sensible of decisions.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
9 x

Return to “Language logs”