Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:02 pm

15 November
Another day, another evening of not very exciting admin.

Russian
I had a meeting over lunchtime so didn't get out for a walk. I went on the treadmill after work and listened to a recent Russian with Max podcast, which was about the system of government in Russia. It was an interesting topic but quite a difficult one, so I figured it would be a good one to get the transcript for. I downloaded it later in the evening and put it into LWT. It was quite a long text though so there are lots and lots of words to mark; I just went through it and cleared off the easy wins this evening. I also finished going through the transcript of yesterday's video and looked up some new words I didn't know.

Total - Russian: 84 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:18 pm

16 November
Had a night off the finance admin tonight. Will be back to it tomorrow!

Russian
I'm not sure I've got any more done this evening, Russian-wise. In fact I think I've done less. But never mind. I cleared my Memrise reviews, which had built up again (I think I forgot to log in yesterday) and then I decided to do something a bit different and start a new chapter of the NPRC. This chapter starts with the past tense, which is possibly the only part of Russian grammar which isn't painful, so that was fine :)

Croatian
Really enjoying my telenovela at the moment. And also enjoying this new song from Mile Kekin, the lead singer of one of my favourite bands, Hladno pivo.

Total - Russian: 39 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:56 pm

17 November
Hours of Esperanto admin to get through again this evening. But starting to feel like the end is in sight. I think I've done the most difficult tasks now at least.

Russian
I really haven't done much this evening. I couldn't go out for a walk at lunch so I went on the treadmill after work and listened to a recent Russian with Max podcast, which was about personal productivity. That's a topic I'm really interested in, so I quite enjoyed it.

Total - Russian: 35 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:46 pm

18 November
I'm away for a trustee meeting this weekend, so updates will be limited.

Russian
I knew I was going away tonight so I got my Russian in early in the day and listened to a Russian with Max podcast while on the treadmill before breakfast. This one was about historical waves of emigration from Russia to Argentina.

Total - Russian: 37 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:03 pm

19 November
A day spent in trustee meetings, as expected.

Russian
I've done a little bit of Memrise as and when I've had time spare. My reviews seem to have built up again though so I haven't got through them all. Once the meetings were over this evening, I also had time to read another chapter of Ken Follett in Russian. I've been a bit rubbish at making time to read it recently, but it is a really good book :-)

Total - Russian: 49 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:12 pm

20 November
Back home again now after the weekend meeting. Maybe not the most restful weekend ever but it was definitely a meeting worth having. And it's nice to be able to do these things in person again rather than over Zoom :)

Russian
I logged in to Memrise on my laptop once I got home and made a concerted effort to clear my reviews. I mostly do them on my phone but it's much quicker on the computer so I managed to get down to Memrise Zero.

I read another chapter of 'Игольное ушко'. Didn't look up any wildly exciting words because I was just enjoying the story. I think the main word I looked up was "розыск", which in the context of the story was a search for the wanted spy.

I also finished the chapter I was working through in the NPRC. I'd already done the part on the past tense, so the bit I had left to cover was reflexive verbs. I don't really like reflexive verbs in Russian; somehow they seem harder than reflexive verbs in Croatian. I think I could actually do with more practice in conjugating them but there was only quite a short exercise on it in this chapter.

Total - Russian: 58 mins, Croatian: 13 mins
9 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:14 am

Radioclare wrote:I also finished the chapter I was working through in the NPRC. I'd already done the part on the past tense, so the bit I had left to cover was reflexive verbs. I don't really like reflexive verbs in Russian; somehow they seem harder than reflexive verbs in Croatian. I think I could actually do with more practice in conjugating them but there was only quite a short exercise on it in this chapter.

I always think I'm fine with reflexive verbs in Russian, but they are one of the things I consistently mess up, so I'm clearly not! I have a whole chapter of exercises on them, but I seem to be not making much progress in getting them done (which happens when you never actually open the book...) ;)
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:12 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:I always think I'm fine with reflexive verbs in Russian, but they are one of the things I consistently mess up, so I'm clearly not! I have a whole chapter of exercises on them, but I seem to be not making much progress in getting them done (which happens when you never actually open the book...) ;)

I also experience this odd problem of not making progress with Russian grammar when I refuse to open my Russian grammar book. Very unfair :lol:

21 November
A normal day at work today and then this evening I went to see my in-laws to watch the Wales-USA football match.

Russian
That meant I didn't have much time for studying this evening. But it was really rainy at lunchtime today so I didn't go out for a walk. I went on the treadmill instead and watched a new Russian with Max video. This one was a trip to a lake in the mountains in Kazakhstan; the video itself was short but the scenery in Kazakhstan is absolutely stunning. That wasn't enough to take me to 30 minutes so I also decided to start the next video lesson of the Red Kalinka start. The vocabulary in this lesson is about rooms of the house, different pieces of furniture etc. So it was a good recap.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:56 pm

22 November
Felt tired all day today. Maybe going out to watch football last night was too much excitement for a Monday :D

Russian
I felt oddly motivated when I got out of bed though and rather than watching my favourite Croatian telenovela while on the treadmill, I decided to carry on with the lesson of the Red Kalinka course that I started yesterday. I don't normally try Russian before breakfast so this was quite unusual for me. I definitely won't be doing it every day, but I might try this one day a week in future to try and make more progress with the course. I got through most of the lesson anyway and then finished the rest of it this evening :)

Total - Russian: 62 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:19 pm

23 November
Nice sunny weather today, but so cold. It's getting to the point where I think I'll have to crack and put the heating on.

Russian
I think I forgot to log in to Memrise yesterday so when I checked today I had a ridiculous amount of reviews today. I spent about 20 minutes clearing those, then I opened the NPRC and started a new chapter in that. This is the one that introduces aspect and also the future tense. I don't really like the future tense in Russian (another thing that isn't quite as nice as in Croatian) so I'm going to try and go through this chapter slowly and attempt to overcome that.

Total - Russian: 40 mins, Croatian: 49 mins, German: 47 mins

More generally, I'm starting to think about my goals for next year. I've been doing 30 minutes of Russian every day since 2019 and it has been a good thing to do; I've definitely made some progress in that time. But I'm not sure it's the right goal to keep indefinitely. Doing 30 minutes of something every day is better than doing nothing, but it means that what you're doing isn't necessarily very targeted. So I'm thinking perhaps I need a different approach next year. But I don't know what that approach might be :lol:
10 x

Return to “Language logs”