Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Radioclare's 2022 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:43 pm

I am late! Happy Birthday Clare! Have a wonderful next year! May your wishes come true.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:53 pm

Thank you Cavesa! :)

4 December
A nice relaxing day at home today, although I did go for a walk in the park earlier.

Russian
This morning I decided that I was going to finish reading 'Игольное ушко'. According to my spreadsheet I've actually been reading this book since mid-October, which feels like a long time. It took a couple of hours but I got there in the end this morning :) I didn't look up too many words because the last 50 pages or so of the book are the most exciting, so I was too busy enjoying the story. In total the book was 320 pages and the 9th book I've read in Russian this year.

Total - Russian: 158 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:06 pm

5 December
I seem to have spent most of my evening doing Christmas shopping, without actually managing to buy anything :lol:

Russian
I watched a recent Russian with Max video, which involved demonstrations of not exactly motion verbs, but verbs which describe actions done with parts of the body. So it included things like winking, sneezing, whispering etc. All quite useful vocabulary if you're trying to read in Russian; people in books are always doing these things. It's one I might go through again in more detail at some point, because some of the expressions were new to me.

I'm also continuing with my revision of the NPRC. The chapter I'm on at the moment is all about the dative, which is fine. The only problem I have with the dative is the pronouns. Whenever I learn the dative pronouns, I completely forget the prepositional ones :lol:

Total - Russian: 43 mins, Croatian: 57 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:05 pm

6 December
Seem to have spent most of my evening on charity admin, unfortunately. Just one of those days.

Russian
I did some Memrise before dinner. Later this evening I imported the transcript for yesterday's Russian with Max video into LWT and started working though it. My Russian LWT set-up still isn't very good, so this predominantly involved me marking the easy words. I've left the more difficult ones (i.e. the ones I actually need to learn) to come back and work through another day.

Total - Russian: 43 mins, Croatian: 44 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 pm

7 December
Another bare minimum day today. I had some more admin emails to sort out this evening and I also went out for dinner.

Russian
While on my treadmill briefly earlier I watched a short Russian with Max video. This was a recent one, filmed in Argentina during the World Cup, so it was all about going to watch one of the matches in a fanzone in Buenos Aires. It seems like they take football pretty seriously in Argentina. Later in the day I did some Memrise to bring my total up to half an hour.

Total - Russian: 30 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm

8 December
Worked from home during the day today but then took the train to Birmingham this evening to celebrate my sister's birthday.

Russian
That means it's a really boring update as far as Russian is concerned; I just did half an hour of Memrise on the train. Annoyingly, on a day when I actually wanted to spend time on Memrise, I didn't have loads of reviews. So I cleared what I had, then started learning some new words instead. I guess that will guarantee lots of reviews for future days.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 pm

9 December
Friday! Felt kinda tired today after going out last night.

Russian
After work I made some more progress with the NPRC, continuing with the chapter I'd started earlier in the week. This one is mainly about the dative, which I think is one of the more straightforward cases. The book doesn't give many exercises to practise it though. As predicted, I also had a lot of Memrise reviews to get through this evening after yesterday's learning spree!

Total - Russian: 47 mins, Croatian: 53 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:28 pm

10 December
Had a really nice relaxing day which included a long walk outside in the sunshine. It was very cold and frosty but I really enjoyed it; I haven't managed to get out much during daylight hours over the past week.

Russian
I spent over an hour of the walk listening to Russian with Max podcasts; rather than continuing to work through the older ones, I decided to catch up on the two most recent ones. The first one I listened to was about recent proposed and actual changes to the Russian education system and I found it quite hard going. I think partly because it was a more difficult topic and partly because it was an interview one so the speed of the speech was quicker than normal. The second one I listened to felt a lot easier. That one was about life in Buenos Aires and in particular, how blocks of flats there have more communal areas than in Russia. Also that flats in Argentina don't come with their own washing machine and instead you have to use a communal one somewhere in the building, which sounds massively inconvenient.

Total - Russian: 85 mins, Croatian: 5 mins
9 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:06 pm

Radioclare wrote:This one is mainly about the dative, which I think is one of the more straightforward cases. The book doesn't give many exercises to practise it though.

Perhaps because it's not used that much?! ;) I find it interesting that German really goes for the dative over the genitive, whereas Russian has a definite fondness for using the genitive at every opportunity...
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:57 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:Perhaps because it's not used that much?! ;) I find it interesting that German really goes for the dative over the genitive, whereas Russian has a definite fondness for using the genitive at every opportunity...

I feel like the dative should be used more in Russian because it's one of the few cases I'm any good at :lol: Croatian uses the genitive a lot as well (but Croatian genitive plurals are a lot easier than Russian!).

11 December
Today was cold again, but misty. There was a tiny bit of snow so I had a slightly slippery walk earlier. Enjoyed getting out of the house though.

Russian
I listened to another couple of Russian with Max podcasts on the walk. These were two older ones; the first one was mainly talking about bureaucracy and the second one was about summer in Russia and how people spend it.

Once I'd got back home and warmed up, I spent a bit more time with the NPRC and got through another chapter. This one was about aspect, particularly the use of aspect in the past tense. Nothing particularly earthshattering but it was good to have a recap. I feel like there are so many other problems in Russian grammar that aspect rarely makes it to the top of my list of things to worry about it :lol:

Total - Russian: 97 mins, Croatian: 34 mins
8 x

Return to “Language logs”