JungKi's Korean and ASL (other languages to follow)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
JungKi

JungKi's Korean and ASL (other languages to follow)

Postby JungKi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:16 am

This is my first language log of any kind. I found this site after looking up "Evita""Korean" on google. I'm currently using Evita's vocabulary deck. I also have Elementary Korean, as well as a huge torrent of Korean language resources
Right now, I'm focused on learning the basic vocabulary and remembering the w- and y- hangul.

I hope one day to have learned all 6 UN official languages (Russian, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish, English). I have 1 down and 5 to go.

I've tried to learn through the mass sentence method, but I've run into a problem of actually finding fluent sentences of spoken Korean. Written Korean differs quite a bit from spoken Korean, and the honorific endings can make one expression in English into 4 different Korean ones. The sentences in textbooks don't seem to reflect the conversational Korean I'm trying to study. Also, there's inherently a flexibility in translating that leads to even more variations of the same English phrase.

I've tried asking my Korean friends for help, but it's been stressful on them and they don't seem very open about teaching Korean. I don't want to burden them.

I've started studying it over this winter break, and hopefully I can keep up with it when the semester starts.

And then there's the fact that I need to find audio for these sentences.
As for ASL:
I sign at a A2 or B1 level, possibly at a B2 level. I understand it at a C1 level, but its hard to say.

Deaf people can vary in their degree of fluency, even when they use it as a first language. Additionally, when speaking with me, others probably have made it easier for me. Also, in presentations, the signing is designed to be understood by everyone in the deaf community, so the signing is easier to understand. There's been only one time where I absolutely could not understand what was being signed, and that was when I was among FSDB students on a field trip. True fluency in ASL is VERY hard to master, and I'm hoping I can develop it.

I also have three Chinese HSK books that I'm hoping I can get a start on as well.
0 x

jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Re: JungKi's Korean and ASL (other languages to follow)

Postby jennybenny25 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:33 am

Hello

Im learning BSL (Other side of the water asl) :)

Good luck with the Korean! Great idea about learning the 5 UN languages

Will follow and look forward to your progress

x
1 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:38 am

Hello, I'm prepping myself to study korean in the new year, so it's always good to see someone else near my level :) I look forward to seeing your progress.
1 x

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Welcome! Looking forward to reading how it goes.
How did you learn ASL?
1 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Both of my parents are deaf, and it was my first language when I was young. I've also been taking ASL classes and interacting as much as possible with native ASL signers.
1 x

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:41 pm

jennybenny25 wrote:Hello

Im learning BSL (Other side of the water asl) :)

Good luck with the Korean! Great idea about learning the 5 UN languages

Will follow and look forward to your progress

x

Good luck to you too! How long have you been studying BSL?
0 x

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Elenia wrote:Hello, I'm prepping myself to study Korean in the new year, so it's always good to see someone else near my level :) I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you! Nice to see another Level 0 Korean Learner :D I've been collecting some good resources, including textbooks, workbooks, grammar books and audio. Let me know if you would like me to send what I have to you.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:33 am

JungKi wrote:
Elenia wrote:Hello, I'm prepping myself to study Korean in the new year, so it's always good to see someone else near my level :) I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you! Nice to see another Level 0 Korean Learner :D I've been collecting some good resources, including textbooks, workbooks, grammar books and audio. Let me know if you would like me to send what I have to you.

Oh, yes please! I haven't worked out a strategy yet, so it will be good to know my options. I usually follow an approach heavy on native materials, light on the other things, but I may just need to rethink my strategy for Korean...
0 x

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:45 am

Finished studying about 100 words through anki. Wish i could study them more but I don't want to mess up my anki deck. I also practiced more hangul. I understand about 95%, but the w- and y- are still getting me
I need to find an effective method for learning Korean grammar, any suggestions? Also, any good k-drama?
Last edited by JungKi on Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:04 am

For grammar: Click Korean and Korean From Zero.
Additional resource: TTMIK grammar lessons. (I used them as my primary source of grammar when I started, but I don't recommend that, they leave too many holes.)

After 2-4 weeks of studying, try out my Anki sentence deck, the link is in my signature. You should find it very useful.

As for dramas, Dramabeans has just posted a series of posts about the best/favorite dramas of 2015 so you can check them out. My favorite drama this year was Healer. Secret Garden is a classic and one of my all-time favorites. Coffee Prince as well. I've also liked "It's Okay, it's Love", "Marriage, not Dating", Nice Guy, Good Doctor, Sungkyunkwan Scandal, Yoona's Street and many more.
Last edited by Evita on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Return to “Language logs”