JungKi's Korean and ASL (other languages to follow)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Re: JungKi's Korean and ASL (other languages to follow)

Postby jennybenny25 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:21 am

Been learning bsl for over a year now :) x
1 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:35 am

Studied 484 Cards from Evita's Deck in 77 minutes. And I think I have found a way to get conversational sentences to practice (hopefully). Basically, I used Naver's dictionary at http://endic.naver.com/?sLn=en to search up one of the words I'm reviewing (말하다, 같이, 자다, etc.) Once I searched the word, I clicked on the 'usage example' option. On this page there's an option matrix.
Where it says "By Style", I clicked on the second option, 구어 (Spoken Language), and then clicked on 회화체 (Conversational Style)
Additionally, the matrix allows you to choose by level: 초급 (Beginner), 중급 (Intermediate), 고급 (Advanced).
It seems like the dictionary searches for all conjugations of the word. It doesn't seem to have an option to specify by speech level (informal, polite, etc.). It's important to practice these sentences knowing their speech level, so I have to look at the wiktionary page for the final word's conjugation. For example:
The final word in this sentence is 주세요, the conjugated form of 주다 (to give).
So now I know "모든 것을 다 말해 주세요." is in informal polite form.
As I learn more about Korean Grammar, this step will become unnecessary hopefully.
But I have three concerns with this method
1) It's possible not all sentences are correct/fluent
2) My familiarity with grammar is still basic
3) I don't know if this feature will remain static
So until I can get a better grasp on words and grammar, I'll hold off on collecting sentences.
On the grammar side of things, I started on Korean From Zero and memorized the numbers for both systems up to ten.
1 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:42 am

I'm afraid the method you described for sentences has one major flaw - the whole Naver dictionary is meant for Koreans who are studying English, not the other way around, so the speech styles that you were selecting apply to the English sentences, not the Korean ones. On top of that, I don't think it's a good idea to work with random sentences so early in your studies when you know so little grammar.

You say that you are using my Anki vocabulary deck so I wonder why you don't want to use my sentence deck. I've spent more than 1000 hours (approx. 3 years) collecting sentences with audio from various resources and arranging them in an appropriate order, and they even have the tags for politeness that you want - formal, polite, casual, and plain. All the comments I've got about the deck are very positive so do check it out before you start a sentence deck of your own.
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 am

Evita wrote:I'm afraid the method you described for sentences has one major flaw - the whole Naver dictionary is meant for Koreans who are studying English, not the other way around, so the speech styles that you were selecting apply to the English sentences, not the Korean ones. On top of that, I don't think it's a good idea to work with random sentences so early in your studies when you know so little grammar.

You say that you are using my Anki vocabulary deck so I wonder why you don't want to use my sentence deck. I've spent more than 1000 hours (approx. 3 years) collecting sentences with audio from various resources and arranging them in an appropriate order, and they even have the tags for politeness that you want - formal, polite, casual, and plain. All the comments I've got about the deck are very positive so do check it out before you start a sentence deck of your own.

Oh I see, thank you for telling me! I didn't realize that it meant conversational english.
It's not that I don't want to use your sentences. I'm looking at using the 10,000 Sentences method to learn, so I was just posting about potential methods to finding more sentences that I could look at later.
0 x

JungKi

Postby JungKi » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:23 am

This week has been crazy with back-to-back family gatherings. It was hard to get my studying done every day. So far, I've learned 160 words of Evita's deck. At first, I tried studying 50 new words a day, but that turned out to be too much. I decided to delete and re-download it, then I fixed the reviews and due dates so I didn't lose my progress. I also made reverse copies of each card, so now I can study it E-K and K-E.

New vocab today:
    찾다

자동차
    청소하다
    오빠
    다음
    바쁘다
    회사

만들다
    바지
    저녁
    타다
    버스

다니다
    구두
    치즈
    일어나다
    중국
*Bolded for words I felt I needed to review more

I've been trying to come up with various memory tricks to remember the words I struggle with, like sound association ( e.g. 만들다 (to make) and handle, because handling and making are related). I've been listening to more and more audio to get used to recognizing these words outside the form of flashcards. I've written down all my vocab in a notebook. I bring it with me on the go and study them whenever I have a bit of free time. I find it useful to highlight the words I found harder to remember, so I can know to spend extra time on them. I jot down grammar notes in there as well, and downloaded the KFZ pdf on my phone. I put more effort into studying grammar. I'm using a combination of the Click Korean lessons and the Korean from Zero lessons, both of which are really good (thanks to Evita for recommending them!). In KFZ, I reviewed Lesson 5 today, which covers topic particles 은 / 는; 이것 (this), 그것 (that), and 저것 (that over there); 입니다 (it is) and 아닙니다 (it isn’t); and using the subject particle 이 / 가. I reviewed Unit 4 in CK, most of which was related to what KFZ covered in their lesson.
My current study plan is learning 20 new words a day, reviewing older vocab, learning/reviewing grammar lessons from KFZ and CK, and reviewing both number systems through two Anki decks I made.
    Goals for studying:
  • write down all new phrases and words from learning material
  • do the workbook and exercises for CK and KFZ lessons
  • start watching a Korean drama and write down all the unfamiliar words
These are some resources I came across this week that look like they might be useful:
https://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx
http://www.hellotalk.com/

Today's post isn't very detailed, just a quick snapshot of what I've done so far and what I need to do from now on.

Happy New Year's Eve Everyone!
0 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Wow, 50 words a day? You seem really ambitious. And really impatient :)

Do you know daum.net? That's "다음" in Korean.

I have "Hellotalk" installed on my phone and have used it to chat with 10 or so Koreans. It can be a useful app if you like chatting. "Gloss" is also a good site although not really for beginners. I would suggest to wait with that.

When I started Korean, I also studied my vocabulary deck in both directions for a few months before I decided it was too much for me. I also practiced typing in Korean when reviewing the reverse deck, maybe you also want to set it up. And I also think that 20 words a day is still a lot. It may not be a lot for a European language where you could recognize many words because they have Latin or Greek roots, but it's a lot for Korean where every word is completely new. I never studied more than 8 words a day.

start watching a Korean drama and write down all the unfamiliar words

I would suggest focusing on the familiar words for now, not the unfamiliar ones. For example, if the subtitles say "make" you can try to hear the verb 만들다. You can also focus on sentence endings and see if you can catch any that you recognize. Practice recognizing the speech styles - formal (합니다/합니까), polite (해요), and casual (해).

You can get all the recent dramas with subtitles here.
2 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

Return to “Language logs”