Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Postby księżycowy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:55 am

Whelp, I need to get back to some Greek, don't I?

I'm just not sure if I'll do it before or after the semester is over. I guess I'll see how Irish gets on, and take it from there.

In other news, Hebrew has largely been a breeze this far. But then again we haven't had any quizzes or anything to force me to memorize new vocabulary or grammar. Which is fine, as I'm not in love with the textbook anyway. I mean, it's a good and solid textbook. But after working through some of Seow's grammar and Kutz's grammar/reader, I find it lacking in depth and reading opportunities. But I wouldn't discourage others from using Hackett's textbook. Especially my fellow classmates.

Be that as it may, I plan to continue through the class until the end in the same mode I have been: not really bothering to memorize things but earnestly working through the assigned exercises (flipping back to past grammar and vocabulary as needed), and once the module is complete I'll return to Seow and/or Kutz. (I'm tempted to try working through both, as they both have their strong points that I really like, but as I never seem to effectively use more than one resource at a time, I'm unfortunately skeptical I could pull it off. Maybe I should try anyway, and believe in success?)

We've made it to Lesson 13, and if our current pace is anything to go by, I estimate we'll make it to lesson 15 or 16 by the end of the course. Interestingly, Hackett starts her discussion of verbs with the prefix forms (a.k.a. qal imperfect). I'm guessing because of the abundance of the vav consecutive/conversive? But that hasn't entered the conversation yet...
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Ok, since I'm mostly "sliding by" in my Hebrew class (for now!), I want to pick up my Greek once again before it completely fades into oblivion. Similar to the most recent post my European thread, I'm giving myself until around June to try to finish my Greek textbook. In this case, however, I'm going to keep working even if I don't finish it by June, because I'm not starting/continuing (whatever we want to call it at this point :P ) Hebrew in earnest until I finish my Greek textbook.

This is neither here, nor there, but just to lay out future plans: after I get a good foothold in Hebrew and can start reading Biblical passages, I'm going to start some Latin (and probably Classical Greek to get a fuller view of Greek, and yes I know I'm probably going about this the more painful way with regard to Greek, oh well).

I'm going to run back over Chapter 6 in Mounce by this weekend.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:23 am

Ok, so confession time. I haven't started back into Mounce quite yet. But I have this next week off for Spring/Easter break, so I'll use that to get back into Mounce. Only two more weeks (so four more classes and probably two more chapters) to go until Hebrew is finished!

I'm definitely going back to Seow and/or Kutz this summer. :P
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:56 am

Long over due update time!

Greek
I really wish we were following a textbook for class. But that aside, we've moved into things I haven't learned yet (finally). Such as third declension nouns, and other verb tenses (basically anything beyond the present, future or aorist). I also bombed my last exam. :(

I plan to supplement my course with Mounce (and possibly Schwandt) going forward. I'll review some of the earlier stuffs, but focus more on the newer material this weekend and next week. After a much needed day off. I'm positive that if I work a bit harder I'll be able to right ship. I've done well with the exercises after the exam.

I do enjoy that the teacher tends to use biblical passages for the translation exercises. Though I sometimes question the particular sentence (or part of a sentence) at times. Syntax is particularly tricky at the earlier stages. Unless the grammar plays nice and has an obvious nominative and/or accusative noun(phrase). Now I have to worry about the genitive case as a possible subject too?! *Sigh* Anyway, enough griping. Time to get to work.

Hebrew
Hebrew, on the other hand, has been going well. I just had an exam yesterday and I got a good mark in my opinion. (Not excellent, but good, and I am pleased!) We are on lesson 23 of Basics of Biblical Hebrew (I think). I do need to review a few things: prepositions with attached pronouns, participles, the specific uses of the infinitive construct. Much like Greek I plan (read: hope) to add some extra textual support to the rest of this semester (and beyond). Even though the translation exercises annoy me to no end, I think I'll make a run through Kelley. I had used Kelley before during my Masters, and found it a bit over whelming, but the exercises are good (translation ones aside), and the detailed explanations will certainly suit me going forward. I'd also like to take a pass at Kutz & Josberger, but maybe after a bit. I want parsing exercises, of which they don't have a tonne.

I'll plan to start adding Kelley tomorrow, just like Mounce.

As much as I'd hate to say it, it seems Latin and other dead languages will have to wait a bit longer.

More to come.
7 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”