Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition (grc + deu)

Postby księżycowy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:41 am

Goals for 20/12/2022-24/12/2022 (That's day/month/year. I'm saying that just as much for myself as for anyone else. :P )
Greek (Mounce):
  • Finish Exercise 7
  • Complete Exercise 8
  • Review Vocabulary Chapters 4-9
  • If time and energy, complete Exercise 9

German (DaF Kompakt Neu):
  • Learn Vocabulary for Lektion 1
  • Vocabulary for Lektion 2
  • Finish few übungen left in Lektion 1
  • Complete(?) Lektion 2

Japanese (Harz & Noda):
  • Complete Lesson 1, Part A Section CC
  • Read through Lesson 1 Part A, Section MN
  • Read through Lesson 1 Part A, Section SP
(CC = core conversations; MN = miscellaneous notes; SP = structural patterns)

Unofficial (shhhh!) - Irish (1960's TYI):
  • Review Lesson 1
  • Review Lesson 2
  • Vocabulary from Lessons 1 & 2
Last edited by księżycowy on Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:49 am

księżycowy wrote:(That's day/month/year. I'm saying that just as much for myself as for anyone else. :P )

You get used to it quickly lol.It's already become super weird for me to see MM/DD/YYYY now.
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:54 am

Maybe I don't see it enough yet then, as it still takes me a few seconds to remember, "wait, it's day, then month and year", but I guess I am getting better. I don't stare blankly at dates for a while anymore (what month is number 20?). :lol:
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:57 am

I just remembered that I was originally thinking of using this log for my studies of 'dead' languages (Ancient/Biblical Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Old English, Classical Chinese, whatever other dead things my heart desired). I may split some of this off to older logs I've made.

EDIT: Eh, too much effort for me. Nevermind.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:31 am

I have to remember that this is the week before Christmas and my parents are visiting. Oh, and I still have two papers and a 10 minute presentation due in January. So let's scale things back a bit.

księżycowy wrote:Goals for 21/12/2022-24/12/2022
Greek (Mounce):
  • Finish Exercise 7
  • Complete Exercise 8 (?)
  • Review Vocabulary Chapters 4-8

German (DaF Kompakt Neu):
  • Learn Vocabulary for Lektion 1
  • Start Vocabulary for Lektion 2
  • Finish few übungen left in Lektion 1
  • Start Lektion 2

Japanese (Harz & Noda):
  • Complete Lesson 1, Part A Section CC
(CC = core conversations)

Let's see how that goes.

EDIT: As expected my German only textbook is frustrating me a bit with word definitions (especially given that I need to look the words up in a dictionary myself). I think, begrudgingly, I'll switch to an English based textbook with clear definitions for the vocabulary (clear in the sense it gets the definition intended for the usage of the particular word in whatever context it's in in the given lesson). So that currently leaves me with two options: TYS Complete German (with the "discovery method" yay...) or Living German: A Grammar-Based Course (which I've talked about before, and unfortunately doesn't have audio for every lesson, and has at least a few typos.) I think I'll play around with Complete German for now. I'll try my darnedest to stick with it, as anything will be good enough to be a foot in the door. (So long as it's not too frustrating.)
EDIT 2: I found and bought a sub to the web/phone app for the vocabulary to the A1 section of the DaF book (Eng <-> Ger), and it has it's own flashcard system with audio! I'm sticking with DaF!
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition (grc + heb)

Postby księżycowy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:45 pm

Ok, let's recap 2022 for Greek and look forward to Hebrew!

Greek
So far I have reviewed a good bit of Greek using Duff's textbook (which I am not a fan of). I reviewed the noun, adjective and pronoun systems (for most declensions), propositions, and gotten a basic feel for various verb tenses and moods. Work remains yet on the verb front (and other's I'm sure!), but progress has been made. We made it to about lesson 8 in Duff's book. I have sense switched back to the tried and true book that I think is one of the best for Biblical Greek, Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. I intend to prioritize completing Mounce's venerable tome this year. I plan to complete it by Summer, but we'll see how it all works out. Regardless, my plan once I have finished the textbook is to read from the Reader's Edition of the New Testament I have (which is based on the UBS5 text; I tend to prefer the NA text myself but I can't complain, especially not at this stage of my study) and/or from the Reader's Edition of the Septuagint I also have. I'll probably start with the New Testament, and eventually break into the Septuagint, but hey, you never know. :P

I used to post readings and parsing on another forum (UL) as I was working through reading New Testament texts back a few years ago, so that others could comment and correct my errors. I might do the same here in some fashion. I found it helpful then and see no reason why it wouldn't be now. I'll just have to work out the implementation of it once I get that far.

I also plan to add in some Attic Greek (probably from Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek, but maybe I'll end up going with Reading Greek instead) this Summer. That way I can get a feel for the wider Ancient Greek world. After I lay proper foundations with Greek I'll tackle Latin for my own personal amusement/enjoyment. But this isn't the time to worry about Latin.

Hebrew
This one I am largely sitting on my hands until February for now. I am not sure what textbook will be used for the class, nor can I predict at what speed it will go. I did bring a copy of Kutz & Josenburger's Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension with me, but as I cannot say with any certainty that is the text we are using, I dare not touch it much in the meantime. I suppose I could use it to get a jump start, but considering I kind of already have a jump start being able to read Hebrew, and remembering basics such as the noun system and the very basics of verbs, it's probably best to just hold off. I don't want to look like too much of a smart ass. Either way, I intend to finish a textbook (whether it is the one for the class I am taking, or I do something similar to Greek and switch back to Kutz & Josenburger) by the end of 2023. After that, the plan is basically the same as Greek. Read from my Reader's Edition of the Old Testament. Depending on how the course goes, I will tentatively plan to finish my Hebrew textbook in the Fall sometime. It will gain just as much priority as Greek once the course starts up.

I will plan to post updates every three days, but may slacken the pace to weekly depending on the circumstances. I'll post my first set of goals for this week tomorrow January 1, 2023.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Adventures among the Dead - A Cyclopean Nightmare (grc + heb)

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:06 pm

Goals for 01/01/2023-07/01/2023
Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce
  • Chapters 4 & 6-8*
    • Vocabulary
    • Grammar
  • Chapter 9
    • Vocabulary
    • Grammar
    • Exercise
  • Chapter 10
    • Vocabulary

*This is mostly review. I've done the exercises for this chunk, I just need to refresh the vocabulary and learn any new items along with refreshing my grammar. I might even redo a few of the exercises, or find other exercises to help with any weak grammar points.

As with my other logs this might be overly ambitious, but better to have too much to do than too little. I'm not gonna cry if I don't get to everything.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:14 pm

It took a little finagling*, but I was able to do some exercises from Mounce's own website using his "parseworks" web app. I also used MasterGreek.com's parsing exercises for the first and second declension nouns for a few minutes, but grew bored of the same words popping up (seems like it is all just variations of λογος, εργον, ωρα and γραφη).

Mounce also has flashcards as well on his site, but I think I'll stick with Anki for now. It's all under his free web course that follows his book.

*Because one of my plug-ins for Chrome blocks sites if it feels they are "harmful" to my computer; it's great except when it does it for sites I can trust, like Mounce's.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:45 pm

Why did I have to say every three days? *grumble, grumble*

It'll seriously be a good motivator to keep after my Greek and Hebrew though.

At the current rate, I should be able to review the grammar from chapters 4-8 (excluding 5, because it's any English only chapter on English nouns), and I have completed the exercises 6-8 (I skip over 1-4 because they are too basic, and there is not exercise 5). I should be able to also complete Exercise 9 easily by Saturday.

The vocabulary is the hard part thus far. Not because it is difficult words, but just because of the amount of words I want to get through and the small number of words I am currently going through. Maybe I'll bump up the number. I just have to be careful as I don't want to end up flooded from the fire hose that is Anki reviews. So far I haven't even completed Chapter 4 vocabulary.

I plan to still go through Mounce's web course with his "parseworks" and other exercises (I mean, the warm-up and translation exercises are right out of the workbook, but it can't hurt to do them more than once.) I almost wish I brought my USB stick with his videos on it as well. It'd be fun to be taught by the man himself. (Yeah, I like him. :P )
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:07 pm

Admittedly yesterday kinda got past me. I have been having a headiness and sore throat the last couple of days (not too bad, but bad enough to know it's there) and have been working on a presentation so language study in general (not just Greek) flew under the radar.

But! I did some on Wednesday (mostly just vocab) and today! Today I worked on some vocabulary and finally got around to (re)reading the grammar in Chapter 6. I have to admit on a personal level, I love how Mounce has added those sections on Exegesis to the beginning of the chapters! It was fun to read about John 1:1c in both a grammatical and theological light!

Anyway, vocabulary wise, I have just gotten into Chapter 7. I'm probably not going to make it to my planned Chapter 10, but eh. Progress is still a win.

I know I said I'd post every three days when time and energy allowed, but I think I'd rather affix that to specific days of the week, rather than have a mix of days as the three days came around. Tuesday and Friday will be updates in progress, Saturday will be reflections on my goals, and Sundays will be the next week's goals. Consistency. :ugeek:
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”