Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Adventures among the Dead

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue May 03, 2022 7:17 pm

Huge congratulations! Having a goal helps focus a lot (speaking from experience!), and I'm sure you'll get everything finished and ready before the start of the academic year. Congratulations again!

When you get onto the PhD, what do you want to focus on?
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Tue May 03, 2022 9:40 pm

Well, part of the reason I selected this university (aside from the whole Irish thing) is their emphasis on literary interpretation of the Biblical text, and that's exactly the field of study and interpretation I want to get into!

Hopefully that answers your question. :P
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Mon May 09, 2022 8:36 pm

Ok, for this week, I'm going to go through the first 5 lessons of Kelley's Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar (2e). Initially I was going to stick with Seow (and still might, but I'm terrible at juggling between resources), but since one of the professor's I might potentially work with said she liked Kelley and I'm familiar with it from my past Master's degree I figured I'd give it another try.

I'll update on Sunday!
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead

Postby księżycowy » Sat May 28, 2022 12:04 pm

Ok, it's not quite Sunday, my usual update day, but it's also not quite when I had hoped to update this so we're going with it.

What I've accomplished thus far (mostly over the past week):
Biblical Hebrew - Kelley Lessons 1-4
Modern Hebrew - Assimil Lessons 1-3
German - Assimil (2014 ed, by Roemer) Lesson 1

As can be seen, I've taken an interest in Assimil. A good few years ago, before I was on this site I gave a run through French with Ease and Japanese with Ease, and found the system was great for learning how to read the language (I was pretty bad about using/shadowing the audio, and didn't quite make it to the second wave). I've had copies of some of the English based books around for a good while. After watching Professor Arguelles' video on how he goes through lessons, my interest was sparked again. I also figure that at least until I get to the second wave it will be a good "easy" way to get some German review/expansion done. Modern Hebrew is just something to screw around with, and as a supplement to Biblical Hebrew. Biblical Hebrew is the focus right now.

So far Biblical Hebrew has been going well. It's mostly a lot of things that I already covered in Seow, so it's just easy review. The only thing that is tripping me up is the syllable construction, especially with compound schwas. Take the word נַֽעֲשֶׂה for example. I'd want to split it as נַֽ/עֲ/שֶׂה but Kelley would say נַֽ/עֲשֶׂה . So I'm going to review the schwa and syllabification.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:04 pm

Unfortunately I've been sick for a few days this past week, so not as productive as I had hoped. So this will be a short update.

Biblical Hebrew - Kelley Lesson 5 (I have yet to finish reading the grammar section and do the exercises)
Modern Hebrew - Nadda (I mostly just reread previous lessons)
German - Assimil Lessons 2-3
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:04 pm

Ok, it's back to updating this log! I took a week off from posting because of the errors last weekend. :P
If you're hoping this means that I have a huge post, unfortunately I don't. But I do have some progress!

Hebrew
I am more and more reminded of why I disliked Kelley's textbook the more I use it. No connected readings anywhere, the exercises just don't jive, and he takes what I think is a detrimental (and all too frequent) approach to studying the language. It isn't a European language guise!

Anyway, I've switched back (hopefully for the last time!) to Seow. I've been reviewing the vocabulary from lessons II - VII. I've also reviewed most of the exercises (at least Hebrew to English ones) as well. This week I plan to move on to new material.

Unfortunately Modern Hebrew is on the backburner currently, but I hope to pick it back up this week.

Greek
I have just today picked up Koine Greek. I have a few reservations about my current textbook of choice (errors, some "interesting" perspectives, and the like), but I'll stick with it as best as I can. I do like how it doesn't necessarily go through the grammar system like Mounce. It's interested in getting you reading as quickly as possible, so it starts with verbs in the present/future tense, then nouns and adjectives. It doesn't go through the whole of the verb system then move to a different part of speech. I am a little worried that my experience with Mounce will have me scratching my head, or seeing it as disorganized. :lol: But I can't really afford to keep switching between textbooks at this point, with less than 3 months till my move. Onward and upward. Afterall, it's just a means to an "end."

German
Unfortunately, much like Modern Hebrew, my Assimil run-through has stalled. Plan to pick it back up this week.

In addition to the above, I've been having dreams of Semitic languages dancing in my head. They are just so interesting and fun. I'm really trying to be good, and not add anything else to the current line-up right now, but if anything I might add Irish or spoken Japanese. We'll see. First thing's first: Hebrew and Greek!
7 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:52 pm

księżycowy wrote:Anyway, I've switched back (hopefully for the last time!) to Seow.

Ha ! I just realised this is the same Seow who wrote the Qoheleth commentary (one of them) I read a while back during my 'religious studies' phase of interest (not that it's gone away, just not at the forefront anymore). Very interesting book, that.
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm

Hebrew
I finally started on Lesson VIII! I have yet to finish it, and I want to complete the exercises in Lesson VII, but I should easily be able to handle that and beyond this week. I'm also looking forward to getting back into some reading from the BHS!

The main thing that has been slowing me down is reviewing vocabulary. Which I have sucked butt on lately. Need to get back into Anki properly. Nothing much else to report at the moment. Still no Assimil restart yet, hopefully that starts today.

Others
Much like Modern Hebrew, my Assimil run for German has yet to be restarted. I should be able to start that back up this week. (I'm really trying to be good and not add anymore to my plate, but it's damn hard. Languages are awesome.)

I'm going to try my damned best to finish Hebrew this next month (July), so that I can focus on Greek in August. Rather than splitting my attention between both in the beginning stages.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:57 pm

This will, unfortunately, be yet another small update. Mostly because I have been having sinus issues, and I haven't been feeling very much like doing any language study for a bit. But luckily my issues seem to be subsiding, and thus for the last few days I've been hacking away at Genesis 1:14-19. I haven't moved much beyond that since my last update. But it's a new week, and new possibilities await.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 pm

No, I haven't dropped off. Just a few life things got in the way. The past week we were getting ready for family to come visit for a week. And this week we're entertaining. I also did what I said I wasn't going to do. I switched textbooks again. The chapter on historical vowel changes was just too tempting and the workbook with extensive readings, and vocabulary on the margins are cool too. It's a little easier than Seow, and yet similar enough. I will miss the parsing exercises, but I'm sure I can find alternatives (or just use Seow for that matter). Learning Biblical Hebrew: Reading for Comprehension by Kutz & Josberger.

I'm not sure how much I'll get done this week, with guests and all. But I'm sure I'll sneak some in as I can.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”