Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Zhong
Orange Belt
Languages: Traditional Chinese (N)
English

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition

Postby Zhong » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:43 am

Danke schön für deine Hilfe, Ks.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:55 pm

It's been a while since I've updated this log. Mostly because I've been taking care of stuff before I leave, and enjoying these last few weeks with family and friends as I can. That's not to say I haven't been working on my Hebrew though! I've largely decided to hold off on Greek. It sounds like I will be needing the take only one language come fall, so I don't think I'll have to worry about getting to the end of my Hebrew or Greek textbooks by the beginning of September (which is good because I've been terrible about getting around with that). I could be very wrong, but it sounds like I won't be taking any language assessments right out of the gate.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:24 am

Bhuel, I think it's time to get things back in gear.

I do have a few things distracting me this week. Namely appointments, but I think it'll be ok. I mostly want to restart Hebrew. If I can manage to add some German in, I shall.

I also had the mind to start some Irish, but I'll give that another day or two. I'm still deciding between starting Munster or Connacht. Munster is where my family is from, and I like supporting (in whatever microscopic way I can) a dying dialect. But I've wanted to learn Connacht well too, and the materials I have are more contemporary. No talking about pitching hay and beating clothes with a rock at the crick. I don't think that type of vocabulary will set well with where I'll be in Ireland. But I could easily add more relevant stuff as I go. It's just easier with stuff like LI and especially CI. I'll mull it over a little more though. Which ever one I start with doesn't matter once I'm in deep enough, as I'll be able to work on the other.

I'd like to go back to setting goals, as that seemed to work well in the past. For this week:
Hebrew
  • Finish extensive reading for chapter 6
  • Get at least half way through chapter 7
German
  • Restart it
Irish
  • Decide on a dialect, and stick with it!
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:29 pm

Well, this past week was a bust, for various reasons. I'll try again this week, but if I were to guess, I probably won't be restarting this log until after I've moved and have settled in. I guess we'll see.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:32 pm

Ok, I've had my first week of classes (aside from the one tomorrow, which is our second day of Greek), and I feel some normalcy is in order. Which, naturally, means getting this log going again, and digging into some languages. I'll probably be a bit inconsistent for a week or two, as I have to find my work rhythm between University studies (which I've been away from for quite some time!), and personal language studies, but I'm confident none-the-less that I can accomplish both. And there is a bit of an overlap anyway.

Greek
I have been suggested to take the introductory courses on Greek and Hebrew, which I gladly accepted, as they could both do with a refresher. But, unfortunately it means that at least for the moment, I must put Greek before Hebrew, as that is what is being taught this semester. I was contemplating keeping going with Hebrew, but I want to see how I get on with Greek and one of the modern languages I want to get into. If I find the time, I will add Hebrew earlier than next semester.

[soapbox] I would like to also take this opportunity to say I absolutely dislike the textbook selected for the course. The Elements of New Testament Greek by Duff. It's not so much that I dislike the methodology (even if I find it a bit hap-hazard compared to Mounce), but it really irks me that the accents aren't even written in the book (readings from the New Testament aside). I get not focusing on them. I get wanting to leave the rules of accentuation for another time and place, but for feck's sake, at least give us the accents. They still matter for pronunciation and make for better learning![/soapbox]

German
I think it would also be a great idea to get a head-start on being able to use German in an academic setting. It's not being asked of me, but I figure the sooner I get started on this, the better. I've elected to start going through Spektrum Deutsch A1+ along with A-Grammatik. This is overkill, but if I'm learning an ancestral language (even if primarily for academic purposes at this point), I'm going in for the whole shebang. I might utilize German Quickly by Wilson as well, but we'll see.

I think that should be more than enough of a workload for now as I'm getting my footing in Ireland. If I catch a groove, and can handle more, I'll revise my workload, but that's neither here nor there. (I would absolutely love to take advantage of being in Ireland to learn Irish, but I suppose that can wait until the summer, provided I stay.)

Updates to come!
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 pm

księżycowy wrote:[soapbox] I would like to also take this opportunity to say I absolutely dislike the textbook selected for the course. The Elements of New Testament Greek by Duff. It's not so much that I dislike the methodology (even if I find it a bit hap-hazard compared to Mounce), but it really irks me that the accents aren't even written in the book (readings from the New Testament aside). I get not focusing on them. I get wanting to leave the rules of accentuation for another time and place, but for feck's sake, at least give us the accents. They still matter for pronunciation and make for better learning![/soapbox]
Not even including the accents in a textbook is indeed a crime!
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Don't even get me started anymore than I've already gone off. :evil: :P
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:11 pm

The only reason for leaving out accents that I can see would be saving costs in proofing and typesetting. But even when scribbling out notes only for myself, I include the accents. Wow.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:01 pm

księżycowy wrote:[soapbox] I would like to also take this opportunity to say I absolutely dislike the textbook selected for the course. The Elements of New Testament Greek by Duff. It's not so much that I dislike the methodology (even if I find it a bit hap-hazard compared to Mounce), but it really irks me that the accents aren't even written in the book (readings from the New Testament aside). I get not focusing on them. I get wanting to leave the rules of accentuation for another time and place, but for feck's sake, at least give us the accents. They still matter for pronunciation and make for better learning![/soapbox]

Yes, it's a bit criminal... I self-taught using Duff, and still don't really know where I am with accents. Nonetheless I have a certain fondness for the book. It has its strengths, even if it wouldn't be my first choice now. It certainly gives you what you need to learn the language, anyway. Hope you get on ok with it!
2 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:23 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:The only reason for leaving out accents that I can see would be saving costs in proofing and typesetting. But even when scribbling out notes only for myself, I include the accents. Wow.

The rationale given is that one doesn't "need" the accents at the beginning stages. I once thought of using Duff a few years back when I had the idea of reviving my Greek. Initially I loved the book (and still think it has a good pedagogy, even if not my first choice even in that), but I would whole heartedly disagree with not even presenting the accents for vocabulary words, or in grammar discussions (to be clear, I mean writing the accents, but not necessarily discussing them).

Duff also points out a rationale is that the accents were not in the original manuscripts. I can appreciate that, but most Biblical scholars read from the NTG or UBS text, not the manuscripts.

TL;DR: :roll:

It just feels naked to me. And I am used to pronouncing Greek with stress on certain syllables, even when learning vocabulary. I am lost at sea without a lighthouse.

Beli Tsar wrote:Yes, it's a bit criminal... I self-taught using Duff, and still don't really know where I am with accents. Nonetheless I have a certain fondness for the book. It has its strengths, even if it wouldn't be my first choice now. It certainly gives you what you need to learn the language, anyway. Hope you get on ok with it!

I'm sure I'll survive. I very well may sneak in some Mounce on the side to help with various things (not just the accents).
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”