Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Adventures among the Dead - A Cyclopean Nightmare (grc + heb)

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:28 pm

Time to check in with my goals. (Yes, there's still time in the day to do some more, but so what? I wanna get this out of the way before I forget. I'll study more later. :P )

księżycowy wrote:Goals for 01/01/2023-07/01/2023
Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce
  • Chapters 4 & 6-8*
    • Vocabulary (In progress! - Up to Chapter 7)
    • Grammar (In Progress! - Started rereading Chapter 6)
  • Chapter 9
    • Vocabulary
    • Grammar
    • Exercise
  • Chapter 10
    • Vocabulary

The red marks don't scare me! :x
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Re: Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:34 am

Whelp, I've done bupkis over the last, let's see here, 12 days. This was due to papers and other obligations for University. I still have one paper left to write, but I'm hoping that one will not be as bad as the last one was.

And in about 10 days Hebrew starts! Yay!
We're using Jo Ann Hackett's Basic Introduction, which doesn't look like a bad choice at all for a one semester study of the language. Depending on how things shake down I may supplement the course with my other Hebrew textbook, but as I've restated numerous times already I'm not awesome at juggling multiple resources. Considering the basic nature of Hackett's book, I can easily see myself switching to/reviewing and expanding with Kutz and Josberger after the course is finished. But let's see how the course settles in first and formost.

In the meantime, I wish to get the ball rolling once again on some Greek. As I said in my other log, there's no quiting the 365 challenge this year! Hell or high water!

Goals for 22/01/2023 - 28/01/2023
Greek:
  • Basics of Biblical Greek - Mounce
    • Chapters 6-8
      • Finish review of vocabulary up to Chapter 8 (I think I left off somewhere in chapter 8)
      • Finish review of grammar up to Chapter 8 (Currently left off at Chapter 6)
    • Chapter 9
      • (Optional) Complete Vocabulary
      • (Optional) Complete Grammar
      • (Optional) Complete Exercise 9
  • The Greek New Testament - Reader's Edition (UBS 5)
    • Gospel of John
      • John 1:1-3
      • (Optional) John 1:4-5

With all of the recent talk of Latin, and some postings of short texts and translations, I'm inspired to post some short sections of Greek with translations (and probably parsing too as an added bonus). We'll start off small and slowly build. I must also admit to some wanderlust for learning Latin, but I'll try my best to hold that at bay. At least for now.

EDIT: Clarity & additions.
9 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:14 pm

This past week, I've been leaning more into German than Greek. Maybe I'll figure out some sort of alternation between the two that works. Still, I'm happy with my progress overall thus far.

I've started parsing John 1:1-3, but have encountered words I do not recall/haven't learned yet. I'm using an interlinear New Testament (at the bottom of the page) to help with the identification, parsing and translation of the Gospel at the moment, but I'm trying to use it as a last resort. An "answer key" if you will to check myself against while doing this exercise. I didn't necessarily envision this as something I would accomplish in just one week, given my incomplete knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Just something that cannot be started too early (as long as it's easy enough material!).

księżycowy wrote:Goals for 22/01/2023 - 28/01/2023
Greek:
    • Chapters 6-8
      • Finish review of vocabulary up to Chapter 8 (I think I left off somewhere in chapter 8)
      • Finish review of grammar up to Chapter 8 (Currently left off at Chapter 6) (in progress: currently reading though Chapter 7)
    • Chapter 9
      • (Optional) Complete Vocabulary
      • (Optional) Complete Grammar
      • (Optional) Complete Exercise 9
    • Gospel of John
      • John 1:1-3 (in progress)
Most of the red marks this time are for optional things, so absolutely no worries there!

This coming week (Monday 30/1 and Wednesday 1/2!) begins the Biblical Hebrew course, so I'll wait until I have the syllabus/plan of attack before posting any goals for that one.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 am

Goals for 29/01/2023 - 04/02/2023
Greek:
    • Chapters 6-8
      • Finish review of grammar up to Chapter 8 (Currently left off in Chapter 7)
    • Chapter 9
      • Vocabulary
      • Grammar
      • Exercise 9
    • Gospel of John
      • Finish and post translation of John 1:1-3
Hebrew:
  • A Basic Introduction to Biblical Hebrew - Hackett
    • Figure out where we are starting in the coursebook, and how fast we are going to move through the book and plan from there
I'll most likely revise my plan for Hebrew by Wednesday at the latest. We have class on Monday as well, so I might change it then, it just depends on how good of a read I get off the one class as far as skill levels and what not. I'm not even sure how many students are in the class at this point.

EDIT: Forgot to change the dates. :P
Last edited by księżycowy on Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:12 pm

księżycowy wrote:This coming week (Monday 30/1 and Wednesday 1/2!) begins the Biblical Hebrew course, so I'll wait until I have the syllabus/plan of attack before posting any goals for that one.

בְהַצְלָחָה!
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:33 pm

Y'all are making me want to learn some Modern Hebrew again. :P
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:57 pm

księżycowy wrote:I'll most likely revise my plan for Hebrew by Wednesday at the latest. We have class on Monday as well, so I might change it then, it just depends on how good of a read I get off the one class as far as skill levels and what not. I'm not even sure how many students are in the class at this point.

It is now Wednesday, and I've had two classes so far. We are going painfully slow (for me, as I have prior experience and know some shit, and can actually read the language quite well), but it's important for me to remember it'll pick up eventually, even for me. And the other students need their chance to catch up to where I am. But either way we're starting in with the lessons from the textbook now. We're more or less glossing over the first 6 lessons, as those mostly just go through the alphabet and we're starting with lesson 7 properly. No complaints from me! I'll have to see if the course goes for one or two lessons a week, but for now it'll just be one lesson for this week. So, my goal:
Finish lesson 7 by next Wednesday. I can probably honestly do it in my sleep. :P (And, yes, the goals for Hebrew will not adhere to my usual schedule of Sunday to Saturday. They will adhere to the course schedule, understandably.)

Hebrew:
    • Complete Lesson 7 (Due 08/02/2023)
7 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:51 pm

księżycowy wrote:Hebrew:
    • Complete Lesson 7 (Due 08/02/2023)

Done! (I might move on to lesson 8, but let's see how my other modules fair this weekend first.)
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:20 pm

It's already Monday, geez! This new module/class schedule is making me feel like it's Sunday or something. It doesn't help that it's St. Bríd's Day today either.

As far as my Greek goals, I've honestly been prioritizing German lately, but I hope to flip back to Greek soon, so I can catch up on my goals. In the meantime what I had planned to do last week will roll over to this week. I'd like to take advantage of Hebrew being on the very light side at the moment. Hopefully that means I can do roughly 15 minutes of Greek and German a day for a few weeks. And of course, nothing stopping me from going over 30 minutes (aside from my other classes that is). I've been keeping up with the Anki reviews, so that's a good thing!
7 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:52 pm

Just a short note, as I haven't had much motivation or mental energy to do much language study lately. But I'm constantly reminded that it's a war in which you won't win every battle, but the key is consistency, not simply amount of time spent studying, or amount of languages studied, or whatever. It's also important to take a step back when things are pushing you down too much. There's pushing through the pain, but it's also important to keep everything in a certain precarious balance.

As I'm in the midst of trying to finish a paper that is now overdue from last semester, it's time to put this aside and push through the paper. I'll be back, though. And, as I said when I signed up this year, I'm not quitting to 365 Day Challenge (I damn well refuse!). Unfortunately at the moment, it has to take a pause though.

I'm still taking the Hebrew class, and doing well in it, though! So there's still that! :D

EDITED: Changed a part that wasn't exactly what I was trying to convey.

EDIT2: Spelling.
8 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”