Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition

Postby Herodotean » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:31 pm

księżycowy wrote:Duff also points out a rationale is that the accents were not in the original manuscripts. I can appreciate that, but most Biblical scholars read from the NTG or UBS text, not the manuscripts.
I've never understood that argument. The accents weren't in the original manuscripts not because they don't matter, but because the information they represent was already inside the heads of the native speakers who were reading those manuscripts! And why, over time, did scribes start to write accents? Because they thought accents were important! To my mind, the only people who should be allowed to ignore accents are those who can take an unaccented text and read it aloud with correct word-level stress. It would surprise me if Duff is a member of that group. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)
5 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:24 pm

Herodotean wrote:(I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)

Indeed, and well put. Accents bloody matter! *grumble, grumble*
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm

I just happened upon this:
http://www.denisowski.org/NT_Greek/EONTG/EONTG.html
which will certainly make things better.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm

It amuses me to no end that the companion website that is referenced on the cover of Elements says something of the effect "learning the accents is important" and proceeds to outline the accents and some of the rules for accentuation in the first lesson of the Greek I module. :lol: *cue evil laughter*

(In full disclosure, I don't think the website that used to reference Duff's book uses said book anymore, and has moved on to better resources. Hehehe. This is the site, in case any are curious. And the Cambridge site for the book, which ultimately directs to the first link is here.)
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Adventures among the Dead - The Living Dead Edition (grc + deu)

Postby księżycowy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:03 am

Ancient Greek
So far we have made it to lesson 3 in Duff. The class is rather below my level at this point still, but I think that will change once we get into verbs and other conjugations beyond the present indicative.

After our test last Friday, the instructor asked me why I was in this class, and that it seemed like I should have taken the assessment to get out of the class. I told her I have the nouns and adjectives down very well (thanks to Mounce), but was not very well equipped in the verb department (as the class I took didn't make it that far into Mounce). We both agreed that things would level off for me as the class continued on, and that I'd just have to suffer through the boring things I already know.

Of course, having said that, this is a good refresher on vocabulary and other things as well. If I'm not careful, I can still easily get confused. It took me a moment to retranslate a sentence (ἀκουω την φωνην αὐτης -> the instructor wanted me to change it to either the female plural, or one of the other genders, I forget which right now). I'm absolutely fine with reading and understanding what I've read, it's just off the cuff translations/changes. [I'm experimenting with the Microsoft polytonic Greek keyboard, and it took a few swings to get the right keys. I'm used to a different keyboard, but as I'm sick of having to find and reinstall it, I figured I'd go with the build in one and see how bad it is. Jesus, I hate the missing accents.]

(I'm not going to let myself fall behind in Mounce, either, so I'm going to review the exercises I've done thus far and keep moving on Mounce in addition to the course textbook.)

German
As I have enough intellectually on my plate at the moment, I have decided against diving straight into the Spektrum books (even with the grammar books that are bilingual). And as I like clear vocabulary lists and grammar progression, I've decided to go with Living German by Buckley (revised by Coggle, 7th edition) as my main textbook. I may also sprinkle in some from Complete German by Coggle & Schenke (especially since this resource has great audio coverage, and Buckley/Coggle does not have audio for every chapter). Between the two I should get a nice groundwork and basic vocabulary going.

Now to just niche out a time to consistently study both languages daily. I've been able to get by with cramming every few days with Greek so far, but that will not cut it eventually. Probably sooner, rather than later. German I have yet to officially start.

EDIT: Editing, addition and tinkering.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:45 pm

Oh, and I've ordered the new edition of Colloquial Irish! So that should be with me in a week or two. I've also gone ahead and bought a copy of Ó Dónaill's massive dictionary in hardcover. I already have a paperback version back in the States, but I figure sooner or later I'll want to dive into using the dictionary a lot, and for reference works hardcover is king.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:55 am

Been a little while since I've posted an update. I'm still here, and still working on moving my Greek forward. I've also added in German as well over the past week or so.

Ancient Greek:
We've made it through most of chapter 6 in Duff thus far. It seems like we will not be making it all the way through the textbook (thank gawd!), so I'll probably attempt to switch to Mounce either during the Spring semester, or over the summer (depending on workload and what not). Either way, I will not let this partial course stall!

It seems to me that Duff tries to take on too much in any given chapter. He also does not explain as well as Mounce in my opinion. But enough of the Duff bashing. The important thing is, things are progressing, and I am doing well in the class. I am having to get caught up in vocabulary, but otherwise the grammar is a breeze thus far.

I will finally make it to the end of at lease one introductory Greek textbook by the beginning of the next academic year! Hell or high water!

German:
I have finally selected a decent German textbook to use, and I am sticking with it! I have the DaF Kompakt Neu A1-B1 course (Kursbuch und Übungsbuch!), which is largely like other German-made courses in German (Spektrum, Begegnungen, etc.), but it has the added bonus of having vocabulary lists for each lesson (and they aren't ridiculously long either!) The only thing is, it only gives the German term (with some grammar info, like how to form the plural is it's a noun). So I'll have to translate the lists as I go, but that's fine. I've made it through most of Lektion 1.

After I complete DaF Kompakt Neu, I'll gage whether I want to go through Spectrum Deutsch or not. It might be good to go through a slower paced course, but maybe not. We'll see where DaF Kompakt lands me.

I'll probably also try to make my way through Modern German Pronunciation by Christopher Hall, so long as I have the time and energy.

Given how things have been working out, I'm not sure when exactly I'll be able to post next, but more updates are in coming!
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:15 pm

I should probably also note I am having bouts of wanderlust for African and Indian (mostly Dravidian) languages. I may play around with one to get it out of my system. (I mean, I would love to take one+ seriously, and very well may, but I don't plan to know any African or Indian language to fluency [with perhaps the exceptions of (an) Ethiopic language(s) and Sanskrit/Pali].)
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:10 pm

I should have updated this sooner, but as a paper is due today, I've been working on that. Oh, and I moved into the "Quiet Zone" on campus, so that bit up time and energy this week. My introverted ass should fit right in with my current flat-mates, though. We don't run into each other much, which is fantastic. :P My parents are coming to visit me in Ireland, and do some touristy stuffs, so I may not update for a week or two. But otherwise I do feel I should update more often, just to help keep me moving and studying. I feel like without updating I'm apt to just not do much.

Anyway...

Ancient Greek:
I can finally ditch this piece of crap textbook! Yay! (Well, actually I could do that since last Friday, but still.) So I'll go through Mounce with the hope of actually finishing the textbook this (academic) year! I may also try to read from one of the Reader's Editions of the New Testament I have copies of, provided I have the time, energy and it's not too much of a drag. The priority at the moment is to review and continue on with Mounce until I reach the end. (Yes, review. In case Mounce covers stuff not found in Duff in the declensions and conjugations I've learned thus far, I want to go over everything in Mounce from Chapter 6 to the end. Even if it is nothing new. Plus, the review definitely can't hurt!)

German:
I intend to pick German back up, after admittedly dropping in for a few weeks while I finished classes and that paper. I have yet to finish translating the vocabulary for Lektion 1 and putting it into Anki/Quizlet/Memrise (I'm not sure which I prefer for languages I intend to actively use, rather than just read. I do like the idea that Memrise and Quizlet have more than just plan old flashcards, and can test vocabulary in different ways.) So, for the rest of the week (really weekend at this point), I'll be taking care of the vocabulary, and the audio exercises for Lektion 1.

Polish:
I am very surprised at the amount of quality scholarly articles in Polish I have run across in perusing the library's online databases. And most of them have looked like things I would have loved to have been able to read! This justifies my wish to study the language even more. I don't think I will work on any until at least a few weeks. I'm in the process of obtaining a copy of Polski bez Problemu! by PWL/SuperMemo and would like to see the contents before committing to any plan with the language. I just today received a copy of Čeština pro Cizince (A1-B2, so all three books) for Czech, and I guess I'm trying to see if I can find anything similar for Polish. From the skimming through I did in ČpC, the books look fantastic! Anyway, I may also wait until Summer. I'll have to see how I feel about things. I certainly don't want to bite off more than I can chew. But my interest in Polish has surely been piqued! (I've also been running into interesting articles written in Dutch as well. In fact, it seems like I run into Polish and Dutch more than German at the moment. But that's another story for another time.)

Japanese:
Because I can't leave well enough alone!
I feel a void if I don't consume at least some Japanese media on a regular basis. As at that mostly consists of anime, music and other audio sources, I've decided to give my self the license to pick up Japanese once again (for the, what, 54th time?), but also give myself a break. I'm going to focus solely on spoken Japanese for the time being, and will be using Japanese: The Spoken Language by Harz & Noda. I was thinking of returning to Minna no Nihongo, but I do want to start to get some notion of pitch accent sooner than later, and Harz' book covers that very well. Plus I won't have to worry about kanji and all that. This is just a fun language, which may suffer at points from the focus on biblical languages, and German (and maybe Polish), but I do intent to keep at it and (s-l-o-w-l-y) get somewhere.

Backburner (Irish):
I'll be continuing to put this on hold, unfortunately. At least until Summer, if not longer. Studies take priority, and thus languages relating to my studies take priority. But I have re-affirmed my intent to start with Munster Irish, and thus go through the 1960's version of Teach Yourself Irish when I do pick it back up. I'm still interested in Connacht Irish, but that will be for after I have a solid foot in the door.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:29 am

Time to review what I did get to over the weekend and make a plan for the rest of this week. I think having a weekly goal (even if a vague one) will help. It seemed to help me before, so let's try it again.

Greek
I've been slowly making my way through Exercise 7 and the very beginning of Exercise 8 in Mounce's workbook. It's actually a good thing I'm reviewing all of this, as there are a few holes in my noun declensions that shouldn't take much to patch up. I'm trying to note the case and number at least of all nouns in the exercises (even though Mounce doesn't ask you to do this). Seems to be working so far.

I forgot that there was a Mounce 4th edition deck on Memrise. I think I'll use that for now and see how it goes. I have a backup on Anki, so if that fails I'll go back to Anki. Anki can be a b*tch with the daily grind though, so here's hoping Memrise works better.

German
I'm almost done translating the vocabulary from Lektion 1 in DaF Kompakt Neu, but it's a slog. I might use a premade deck on Memrise I found, even though it's for the previous non "neu" version of the course. I don't imagine the change is super drastic. I'll also be using the Memrise made deck "German 1" for extra vocabulary and practice.

Japanese
As my parents have come in to the greater Dublin area, they brought the copy of Japanese: The Spoken Language Part 1 with them (including the Japanese Typescript Supplement packet so I can osmose some kanji, and not lose my kana), so while I haven't started with it yet, I have formulated a plan (see next post).

[PS: I might sneak in some Irish over Christmas break and through January, we'll see. Still waiting on the Polish. It's on it's way though, so hopefully by next week it'll be in hand.]

[PSS: I know myself too well, I'll end up doing Irish. But hopefully I'll do it at a sustainable pace compared to the rest of my workload and my priorities.]
Last edited by księżycowy on Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”