Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Adventures among the Dead

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:59 pm

Days 24 - 27

Day 24:
Nadda

Day 25:
Nadda

Day 26:
Hebrew [0:32:00]

Day 27:
Greek [0:32:13]

Total Days: 23 (-4)
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Days 28 - 30

Day 28:
Nadda

Day 29:
Nadda

Day 30:
Vocabulary [0:17:00]
Hebrew [0:14:59]

Total Days: 24 (-6)

So, I'm hoping that this week will be more productive, but I have an interview on Friday and will need to prepare for that this week.

Studying wise, I started going through Excursus A in Seow. It goes over how to learn to use BDB. I read through the notes on the first entry Seow guides you through so far, מַלְכִים. I'm glad I have Seow along for the ride, cause wow. There is an overwhelming amount of information in BDB, and it's very nice to get explanations of what certain things mean in the lexicon.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:44 pm

Day 31:
And we're back to our regular updates (hopefully!)

Greek
-Chapter 9 (First Half) [0:14:54]

This chapter goes over adjectives. So far it's pretty easy going. It goes over the forms of the adjective and the uses of it (attributive, substatival and predicate).

Plan for tomorrow:
-Chapter 9 (Second Half)

Hebrew
-Excursus A [0:18:03]
I went through the BDB entries for נפל and ישב. Man, it's both awesome to be able to go through BDB and know how to use it, and also a huge slog to get to the entry you actually need. :P

Plan for tomorrow:
-Continue with Excursus A

Daily Total: [0:32:57]

Total Days: 25 (-6)
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:42 pm

Feb. 5th:
[0:30:42] (Combined Hebrew and Greek)

365 Challenge: 26 (-10)
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:51 pm

Feb. 6th

Greek
-Vocabulary [0:29:10]

Plan for tomorrow:
-Exercise 9

Hebrew
-Vocabulary [0:24:55]

Plan for tomorrow:
-Exercise for Excursus A

Daily Total: [0:54:05]

Total Days (365): 27 (-10)
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 pm

księżycowy wrote:Hebrew
-Excursus A [0:18:03]
I went through the BDB entries for נפל and ישב. Man, it's both awesome to be able to go through BDB and know how to use it, and also a huge slog to get to the entry you actually need. :

Logos/Accordance are awesome for this; I love having dictionary lookup (and parsing if I'm lazy) available in multiple big lexicons instantly. The programs can be expensive, but if you pick up nothing but texts and lexicons it's not so bad (though HALOT or BDAG will set you back a bit in any format).
1 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:05 pm

Feb. 7th:

Greek
Plan for tomorrow:
-Exercise 9

Hebrew
-Exercise for Excursus A (#1-5) [0:30:10]

Plan for tomorrow:
-Exercise for Excursus A (6-10?)

Total Days (365): 28 (-10)

Beli Tsar wrote:Logos/Accordance are awesome for this; I love having dictionary lookup (and parsing if I'm lazy) available in multiple big lexicons instantly. The programs can be expensive, but if you pick up nothing but texts and lexicons it's not so bad (though HALOT or BDAG will set you back a bit in any format).

Wow, that's more than my paycheck can afford. :o

I already have a used 2nd edition BDAG, but have been sitting on HALOT for literally years because of the price tag. :P
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm

księżycowy wrote:
Beli Tsar wrote:Logos/Accordance are awesome for this; I love having dictionary lookup (and parsing if I'm lazy) available in multiple big lexicons instantly. The programs can be expensive, but if you pick up nothing but texts and lexicons it's not so bad (though HALOT or BDAG will set you back a bit in any format).

Wow, that's more than my paycheck can afford. :o

I already have a used 2nd edition BDAG, but have been sitting on HALOT for literally years because of the price tag. :P

Well, yes, I have to admit I haven't ever managed to stretch as far as HALOT yet either... Still using the cheaper ones. But I use BDAG most days, so it was worth the Christmas I got nothing else for... I just use it so much more than I would if it was paper. They do do a regular academic discount if you can get it, and amazing sales every so often, though BDAG/HALOT is probably the least-ever-discounted item.
1 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:57 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:Well, yes, I have to admit I haven't ever managed to stretch as far as HALOT yet either... Still using the cheaper ones. But I use BDAG most days, so it was worth the Christmas I got nothing else for... I just use it so much more than I would if it was paper. They do do a regular academic discount if you can get it, and amazing sales every so often, though BDAG/HALOT is probably the least-ever-discounted item.

I'll keep an eye out for any discounts. I do have to admit, though, I do love paper copies of things.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:14 pm

I've been meaning to recap and go over how January went.

Greek:
Jan-Greek.png

Overall, I am very happy with my progress with Greek. I am pleased with how fast my knowledge of of Greek has returned regarding nouns and adjectives. I can't say my vocabulary is recovering as quickly, but I can easily identify the noun and adjective endings thus far. I can't wait for verbs, as I'm sure that things will slow considerably. We never got that far into verbs when I was formally studying Greek during my Master's degree. My plan is to follow track two, which tackles verbs before finishing up on 3rd declension nouns and other tid-bits.

For now, I don't have any major things I feel I should keep any eye on quite yet. Except for the fact that I haven't been reading much extended Greek. The one downfall of Mounce, in my opinion. He does have some extended readings, usually in the review sections, but more would be great.

Hebrew:
Jan-Heb.png

I am also happy with my progress with Seow. It might be my prior contact with Hebrew, but I am not finding it all that daunting at all. That's not to say that it's easy, but it's not hard either. I notice that Seow goes in a good and logical order, for the most part. I can't wait until I get to the readings.

I do feel like I have to be careful, though, as it can be challenging to notice/remember certain vowel changes. It's also a good challenge to figure out roots, but I feel like I'm getting a handle on it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”