Adventures among the Dead - Tales to Scare Your Descendants (grc + heb)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Adventures among the Dead

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:43 pm

I haven't been very consistent in February so far. I refuse to completely let the cat out of the bag, but I will say that a certain European university has interviewed me and subsequently accepted me on the condition that I can finance the program. They do not currently accept FAFSA funds, but they are in the process of doing so. So I've been trying to see if I can come up with the funding for the first year/semester (whatever my visa would require). But I have been doing some study the last few days. And I feel like I haven't lost that much, which is good. Time to update, and get back on track, as I'll definitely need some skill in Greek and Hebrew.

Greek:
I've been going through Chapter 9, and have begun Exercise 9. I feel like I need to review a bit of my noun endings, as adjectives have basically the same endings. I hope to finish the Exercise today.

Hebrew:
I feel like I'm doing quite well with hunting down roots in BDB. It's always going to be a bit of a trial and error kind of process. I'll do a few more of the words and move on to Lesson VI.

365 Challenge: 31
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:12 am

Things are getting more consistent, which is great! Let's recap this past week:

Greek:
I've nearly completed Exercise 9. I do find I might need to review the last few chapters. Some of the sentences where tricky, especially from #11-20. I think it would do me well to reread the grammar I've learned so far, and probably redo the exercises as well. It is important to review after all.
Days studied: 2/15, 2/17, 2/20

Hebrew:
I completed the exercise for Excursus A (aside from about 7 items out of 30 total). I only got 2 wrong, so that's 21/23 correct. I also read through Lesson VI twice and started Exercise 6 (Part A). I'll have to redo Part A, as I got a good few wrong.
Days studied: 2/16, 2/18, 2/20

Moving forward I'd like to keep swapping the language that I prioritize, but I would still like to work on the other one. I'm thinking of doing the following:
-30+ minutes for one
-15-20 minutes the other

365 Challenge: 36 (Month Total: 11)
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:12 pm

I just watched a programme that reminded me of the title of your log.

It was Vinciane Despret talking in reference to her book Au bonheur des morts (English), which as I understand it is the notion of talking to our dead. Keeping people alive in mind & memory.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:08 am

Well, last month was a bit of a bust. 14 days in total. But no sense in crying over spilled milk. Let's just dust off and carry on.

I've decided to primarily focus on Biblical Hebrew, and put Biblical Greek on hiatus for a bit.

More to come.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:12 pm

Naturally I say that during the week I knew I was going to be working on a presentation I am giving.

Well, if I can't carve any time out this week, we'll see what next week brings. And yes, I'm sticking in the 365 contest, even if it's a train wreck. :lol:
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 pm

Well, unfortunately my emotional health hasn't been the greatest these past few weeks. Some things related to a few problems has been bubbling up. One in particular has been stressing me out, and it pertains a very good friend of mine that I have known since middle school. But I'm trying to get back into the groove. Unfortunately, I think it's for the best that I leave the 365 challenge, but as long as I keep moving, all is fine.

I've also decided to send the mystery university an email, accepting their offer, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear back.

To ease in a bit, I'm going to review the exercises from Lessons III-VI this week.
10 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue May 03, 2022 4:41 pm

Well, it has been a while, huh?

A lot has happened in a short span of time, which culminated in my being accepted into a qualifying year for a PhD in Ireland of all places! I mean, come on now! :D

But that comes with the expectation that I know at least some Hebrew and Greek, so it's game time.

My plan is to continue with the Hebrew where I left off (and review as necessary), and I'll probably also take a run through Kelley's Introductory grammar as well. I'm hoping to do that as quickly as my comprehension will allow. Then I'll tackle Greek in similar fashion.

I'd also like to get a jump start on German (and Polish and maybe Irish) as well, but let's see what happens with the Greek and Hebrew. I'm notorious for not accomplishing "intensive projects", but then again, this one has a definite deadline and a dream behind it. Maybe that'll propell me towards victory for once.
14 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Tue May 03, 2022 5:37 pm

Congratulations!
2 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue May 03, 2022 6:49 pm

księżycowy wrote:A lot has happened in a short span of time, which culminated in my being accepted into a qualifying year for a PhD in Ireland of all places! I mean, come on now! :D

But that comes with the expectation that I know at least some Hebrew and Greek, so it's game time.

Excellent news! Congratulations! Hope you manage to get both languages to a level that satisfies you in time.
2 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue May 03, 2022 7:03 pm

Thank you both (and all those hearts as well)!

I'm going to try my best to earn my place to stay on the PhD track.

And I only need to make it to the end of my introductory textbooks for both. The university knows I don't have a lot of credits in either language, and is willing to work with me in that regard.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”