French - B2 and beyond

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: French - towards B1 and beyond

Postby jeffers » Sun May 01, 2022 12:34 pm

Amandine wrote:I have my schedule ... I'm grateful to see they accommodated my request to do the production orale on the same day, the website says most people will do it on a later date which is advised a week before. It's a bit hard for me to get time off work at short notice and I prefer to just have it done. I requested that when I enrolled but not since as I didn't want to be a bother. The B1 is the most popular to do because of the French citizenship requirements so some people in my preparation class are even having to go to Canberra to do the actual exam because it was booked out here. Glad I got in early, no way would I be schlepping down to Canberra for it :P
delf.PNG

All the best on your exams! I'm disappointed that the letter wasn't written in French, though. The first hurdle: if you can't read an exam invitation and show up at the correct time, you shouldn't be sitting a B1 exam. :lol:
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Sun May 01, 2022 11:04 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Hey good luck on your upcoming exam on the 17 May, rooting for you :!:

Thank you LL007, hopefully you can benefit from my hard won wisdom for your own journey ! :lol:
1 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Sun May 01, 2022 11:45 pm

jeffers wrote:All the best on your exams! I'm disappointed that the letter wasn't written in French, though. The first hurdle: if you can't read an exam invitation and show up at the correct time, you shouldn't be sitting a B1 exam. :lol:

Thank you jeffers, appreciate it. Well you know what, I actually had 17th May in my head and I mentioned it in my last iTalki session and my teacher was like, attendez I thought you said it was the 18th? And then I had no idea. I had 17th in one calendar, and 18th in another one. The AF de Sydney delf page is now all about the October sessions so I couldn't even check. So I was actually in a state of some suspense. ;) A day early is better than a day late though I guess.

I have signed up for the SuperChallenge in French, a double. I've read all the back and forth in the discussion thread about what does and does not count and definitely want to stay in the spirit. So 'books' is pretty easy - its books. I don't anticipate counting any other reading materials like articles or readings in lessons. I won't count audiobooks although I sometimes listen to them as I'm reading if I have both formats. My rough maths was this was about 125 pages a week which is pretty easy for me as long as I don't skip a lot of weeks ...

For "films" I will count TV shows. My current project is all of The Xfiles dubbed in French without subtitles and two episodes is just over 90 minutes so I'll count that as one 'film'. I won't count podcasts and bits and pieces on YouTube unless they are actual long form documentaries like 100% Destins.
9 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun May 08, 2022 4:16 pm

Just over a week left! Did you do any mocks, including all 4 sections?
1 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Sun May 08, 2022 11:13 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Just over a week left! Did you do any mocks, including all 4 sections?

I did a mock at Alliance Francaise but it was only the reading and listening section. This was valuable though especially for the listening because no matter how you keep to the time yourself it's always a different feeling in a more exam like setting. I got 25/25 for reading and 21/25 for listening. The third recording really flies by fast so that was a good experience to have.

At this point to be honest I'm a bit over it. After the exam my iTalki tutor and I are going to start work on Edito B2 so I'm looking forward to having it done so I can move on to B2 ...
7 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:30 am

Amandine wrote:
LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Just over a week left! Did you do any mocks, including all 4 sections?

I did a mock at Alliance Francaise but it was only the reading and listening section. This was valuable though especially for the listening because no matter how you keep to the time yourself it's always a different feeling in a more exam like setting. I got 25/25 for reading and 21/25 for listening. The third recording really flies by fast so that was a good experience to have.

At this point to be honest I'm a bit over it. After the exam my iTalki tutor and I are going to start work on Edito B2 so I'm looking forward to having it done so I can move on to B2 ...

Yep, those are amazing scores, it seems more than enough to pass.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon May 09, 2022 12:59 am

I thought I was imagining it, but you seem to have two similar logs. I had just read one then saw another further down.

edit - forget this I am imagining it. You just posted on two similar logs. I should go to bed!
3 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Mon May 09, 2022 3:14 am

Le Baron wrote:I thought I was imagining it, but you seem to have two similar logs. I had just read one then saw another further down.

edit - forget this I am imagining it. You just posted on two similar logs. I should go to bed!

I agree I chose a very unoriginal title for my log! ;)
1 x

Suzie
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C-ish), French (B-ish), Dutch (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 040#p70040

Postby Suzie » Mon May 09, 2022 6:33 pm

All the best for the upcoming exam! It sounds like it will be a piece of cake for you, which is well deserved based on your commitment!
2 x
Super Challenge French:
100 books: 100 / 100 complete
100 films: 100 / 100 complete

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Tue May 10, 2022 10:49 pm

An important milestone in my exam preparation was reached today. No it wasn't logging 1000 hours of input or hitting 100% on a Kwiziq level ... RATs (rapid antigen covid tests) are mandatory to enter my workplace and today is the last day I could've tested positive, done my 7 days in iso and been out in time for the exam next Wednesday. We are now in the red zone!

@Suzie - thank you very much, I appreciate it!
6 x

Return to “Language logs”