French - B2 and beyond

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Re: French - towards B1 and beyond

Postby Amandine » Mon May 30, 2022 1:49 am

jeffers wrote:
It is really very different from any of the films, better in many ways. I have read it in English, and a few years ago I started to read it for a super challenge, but got a bit bored because I knew where it was going. I may take it up again this time, though. Thanks for the reminder!

I honestly really enjoy the original film - I just hope someone in the book says "Enlève tes pattes puantes de moi, sale singe !". :lol: And yes, you can definitely see how he is telegraphing the wink wink wow this strange planet is soo similar to Earth huh how weird.
3 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 pm

Pimsleur
Through Lesson 12, Level 4

FSI
Have done the first 4 lessons. This is a nice way to start the day, just half an hour of drilling. So far quite motivated to get up a bit earlier and get it done.

Reading
Only at 10% or so of Planete des Singes because I've been prioritising a bit of English reading but I've listened to the first few chapters of the audiobook numerous times.

Watching
Up to episode 20 of season 1 of X Files, French dubbed no subtitles. Comprehension up and down depending on the scene and generally not super high but I'm finding it fun to do anyway. I also watched a random selection of things in my French playlist in YouTube, a bit of book vlogging, some news, a bit of a bio of Victor Hugo.

Grammar
pronoms relatif composes for my iTalki class
Chapter 1 Edito B2 - review of subjunctive
Back into Kwiziq for real this time! Going to make June my month of really pushing ahead on this. Currently 36% through A2.
6 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:21 pm

Amandine wrote:Pimsleur
Through Lesson 12, Level 4

FSI
Have done the first 4 lessons. This is a nice way to start the day, just half an hour of drilling. So far quite motivated to get up a bit earlier and get it done.

I am going for a second time through FSI. I thought that it would a real pain,
but I found that I look forward to a daily half an hour of drilling. I just began lesson
3. A lot of fun, indeed.
4 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:14 pm

lusan wrote:I am going for a second time through FSI. I thought that it would a real pain,
but I found that I look forward to a daily half an hour of drilling. I just began lesson
3. A lot of fun, indeed.

I have just been reading a thread from 2015 here about how no one finishes FSI even once so you are an inspiration :)
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:16 am

Amandine wrote:
lusan wrote:I am going for a second time through FSI. I thought that it would a real pain,
3. A lot of fun, indeed.

I have just been reading a thread from 2015 here about how no one finishes FSI even once so you are an inspiration :)

I am an old man. In the 70's, at high school, I studied English using a set of books, "Ingles 900." It used the same approach that I found in FSI French. I loved memorizing the dialogues and doing the drills. I guess I have an very old prior experience! I have an inspiring English teacher that delivered A2+.

So I would be among the few that has do it twice. Now I am ending lesson 3. Another 21 to go.
4 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:01 am

when are the exam results?
0 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:00 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:when are the exam results?

They say about a month.
1 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Grammar
I didn't do any Kwiziq this weekend but I did a lot of review of subjunctive/indicative in the first chapter of Edito B2 and the workbook. We'll go through it in my iTalki lesson tonight.

Reading
A few chapters of Les Planetes Des Singes.

Watching/Listening
Quite a bit of Netflix in French with French subtitles (what I'm saying is I lay in bed all weekend)

Four episodes of The Perfect Mother, a mediocre mystery/thriller starring Julie Gayet which was boring but only 4 eps so I watched them all.
The 7 Lives of Lea, episodes 1-5, a much more entertaining show and I'm looking forward to finishing it. One thing I found interesting was that it involved time travel and a girl from 2021 goes back to 1991 and there's a scene where the other teens are confused by her saying "truc de ouf", I guess that bit of verlan is a lot more recent.

Episode and a half of L'Agence, the posh Paris real estate reality show. I'm thinking I might dip my toe into Migaku for this, they use a lot of very useful daily language but it flies by so fast.

I noted in the upcoming on Netflix list a new French reality show this week, a competition for rappers. So I'll check that out later in the week though I expect to understand very little.
11 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:31 am

Due to work, a little weekend trip I took to Canberra and Sydney Film Festival films taking up numerous evenings, I've being doing my usual stuff in only fits and starts. I also installed Migaku and tried to use it on L'agence but couldn't get it to work and then I got busy so haven't got back to it.

On the train to Canberra, I listened to the first chapters of an audiobook, Les Trois Jours de Pompei by Alberto Angela. I really felt like I was getting the gist of it just by listening which was quite exhilarating. Of course then we did some basic listening exercises in my iTalki class and I sucked at them so came back down to earth :P BUT, and perhaps its a mirage, I really do feel like my comprehension has progressed a lot. Time will tell, I guess.

Everything I've read online says about a month for DELF results, and tomorrow is exactly a month ...
9 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:46 pm

sooooooooo
1 x

Return to “Language logs”