French - B2 and beyond

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Re: French - towards B1 and beyond

Postby Amandine » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:36 am

I wonder if there is a French dub of Prisoner somewhere? I know there are quite a few Australian crime shows on Netflix in France because my iTalki teacher watches them although he does so in English. I do know there is a Lithuanian (Latvian?) dub of "Home and Away" out there because when I was hauled off a bus into a border guards office on the Lithuanian/Latvian border in 2001 (at the time Australians didn't require a visa for Lithuania nor for Estonia but DID for Latvia in the middle, how was I supposed to know that! :oops: ) it was playing on the TV in the corner like a dark joke and I will never forget it.

I gave up on a couple of books recently, L'eternal fiancé and Le Vent des Soupirs, a swashbuckling thing about Breton pirates. I'm sure both are great books and I'd be happy to revisit them at a later date but I just wasn't feeling them for whatever reason and on the principle I'm going to read for pleasure, I just wanted to move on. I did read 33% of L'eternal fiancé so I credited myself with one book for SuperChallenge purposes.

Currently reading Les impatientes by Djaili Amadou Amal which is so far hitting the spot.

55306541._UY1523_SS1523_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:46 am

I’ve had a pretty intense period at work which prevented me from really getting back into the established routine I would like. But, it is what it is. And its not going to change for at least five months so …. Eh, I will keep trying!

But I have continued to do lots of French stuff when I can and have definitely been noticing improvement in my listening comprehension. Spoken French is definitely a lot less incomprehensible stream of mush and more individual words strung together to create meaning! Who knew! However I can’t stop to think or I lose the thread entirely. I’m like Wile E Coyote walking off a cliff - he’s totally fine until he notices there’s nothing under him, then he starts to fall. But that’s an big improvement on a couple of months ago and I can only assume if I keep doing what I’m doing I’ll reach the next stage too.

I’ve noticed this improvement in listening to some of the French audiobooks I’ve accrued. I have even been able to basically follow what’s happening, although I’m not where I can listen to them for pleasure. However, for the first time being able to listen to an audiobook in French and understand it all seems doable.

I watched this three hour documentary on the history of the Constitution of the Fifth Republic. OK, this is not everyone’s idea of a fun time but it’s very well done and accessible. I definitely understood it well enough to follow the history and the different arguments, although of course I missed details. But I got a lot out of it. The exception to this was Valéry Giscard d'Estaing who was around 90 when he was interviewed for it and, like many very old people, the quality of the voice was just so very gruff and mumbly and a lot harder to understand. But the rest were fine.

I also try to listen to at least the first part of the audio podcast version of the political panel show C dans l’air most days and again I understand it well enough to follow most of the arguments in general.

Of course these are “controlled” inputs where people are generally speaking clearly (except you, VGE!) and more formally. It’s a long way from understanding spontaneous, everyday speech but understanding this level of stuff is on the road to being able to better understand that so overall I’m very pleased with my obvious improvement.

I don't plan to do the DELF B2 until sometime next year but I enrolled in the mock at the Alliance Francaise, unfortunately it was cancelled due to not enough people actually doing the exam signing up. However, I did go to a two hour thing on Zoom the AF did on the history of French comedy in films, its was all in French and very enjoyable so I'll try to do more of the 'cultural workshops' they do.

I’ve reached a quarter of the way through my 200 ‘films’ SuperChallenge. 200 might have been a bit ambitious but I’ll give it my best shot. The reading number lags a bit because I don’t count them until I’ve finished the whole book. My current one is a ~650 page biography of Charles Aznavour so that will be 12 ‘books’ when I’ve finished. But it may take me a while since, at a sentence level, its quite dense and packed with minutiae and I’m going through it pretty slowly, only a few percent in on the Kindle. At least I can say I am now extremely well briefed on birth certificate conventions in the Ottoman Empire, the opening and closing of various Armenian restaurants in 1920s Paris and the regional theatre circuit during WW2! I think by the end of November I should have read 5,000 pages in total and about 20 books in 2022.

Another major thing I did was tried LingoCulture for a month. https://lingoculture.com/start-here/
I saw thisin a post by jackb on the Language deals thread. It’s basically a set fee each month for as many lessons as you want (Baselang does the same thing for Spanish). The introductory price is $99/month, supposed to go up to $149 or something at some point. So for a few weeks I was doing a conversation class every morning before work.

All the teachers were from Algeria or Lebanon and every one I had were really terrific. Interesting, accomplished women – a couple of them doing PhDs in various subjects and easy to talk to. On the other hand, the whole enterprise felt a bit flimsy. There only seem to be 10-13 teachers? At least that’s how many I was shown when I looked at the list. Also, the classes are advertised as 45 mins but on the free version of Zoom they use you only get 40 mins so that’s what they were. An unnerving countdown appears with 10 mins to go and then it just … stops abruptly. I personally didn’t mind the 40 mins (I feel a bit guilty about how little per hour this all costs me anyway) but the fact that the sole reason they were 40 mins was that’s what free Zoom accounts give you lends the whole thing an air of … fragility. There were several technical glitches with the website but to their credit I was always able to chat with a real person promptly (and in English) to get them fixed. I am not continuing just because of my schedule but it could be a good option if you really want a lot of talking practice, assuming they don’t just disappear one day which honestly wouldn’t surprise me. So five stars for the teachers and a bit of a question mark on the longevity of the rest.
9 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:49 pm

A couple of mildly interesting cultural things I learned recently:

1) I went to the opera and sat in the second back row. I discovered that the "nose bleeds" in French are le poulailler (henhouse) or le paradis - as in close to the gods and that is the reference in the film title Les Enfants du Paradis. (been decades since I saw it so maybe its in the film and I forgot). Also 'paradis' is a lot easier to pronounce with confidence than 'poulailler' so I'll be sticking with that one.

2) Watched the new La Carte aux Tresors where they are racing around the department of La Somme. They go to Villers-Bretonneux near Amiens where the Australian war memorial cemetery is - the village is a very famous place in Australia (maybe NZ also). We learn about the WWI battle there (and flatter ourselves with tales of the unending gratitude of the locals for our sacrifice) in school. So that was interesting for me to see.

But the main thing was -- they get clues to follow, a little word game, a photo clue and, in this case, a poppy (un coquelicot). To me this is obvious - every child knows the poppy is the symbol of the First World War. Like duh. But the French were totally baffled and I was baffled at them in return. They're all like, C'est quoi, le fleur???? And I'm like "??????? C'est evident, quoi!" Finally one of them finds a woman who works at the Franco-Australien museum to put us all out of our misery by reporting le coqueliqot is the symbol of the war in the 'pays du commonwealth'.

Now, obviously I know symbols are not universal - of course they're not - so I don't know why I was so surprised - but I really was!!! :lol: :lol:
11 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:03 pm

Interesting. I have one of those slightly deluxe artificiel poppies I wear when it's memorial days and the Dutch sometimes ask: 'what's that?' And I explain it. I still find this odd because I saw someone lay a poppy wreath at the memorial ground at Soesterberg museum near here. A poppy is a 'klaproos' (a 'rose' which flaps shut).
4 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:19 am

My husband’s family is from a tiny village in Belgium, and when we went to visit I was a little overwhelmed seeing the fields filled with red poppies. Okay, it was Wallonia, but I still had a total “In Flanders Fields” moment. It’s sort of embarrassing to think that they would have had no idea what I was on about had I mentioned it to our hosts!
7 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:37 pm

I once had to explain poppies and Remembrance Day to a group of Americans after mentioning how touched I was that an American visitor wore a poppy. They related it to their Memorial Day, so the themes are universal but the symbols not so much.

"In Flanders Fields" is recited every Remembrance day in every ceremony here. It's always very emotional.
3 x
Join me in the crowded streets of dull possibility – Billy-Ray Belcourt

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:11 am

I've had a lingering cold for a couple of weeks, the worst of which has been blocked ears which has made me really not want to watch French things because it would annoy me to hear the French even less clearly than usual. I've used that mini pause to read quite a bit and have made a lot of headway on my 650 page Charles Aznavour biography. At 3/4 through I feel bien scolarisée on many matters Aznavour and yet strangely underinformed at the same time so boy I have a lot of critiques of this book to come back and share!

From about the 18th December I will have about three weeks of genuine down time :o and I've been trying to think of one or two exercises I could do daily or almost in that time. What would be the most useful?

Getting back into a rhythm with Kwiziq is one.

Another summer project possibility is getting a general interest current affairs publication like maybe the L'Obs magazine and very intensively going through the articles. I feel my reading of this kind of thing lags a bit. Often, I find the newsy-style articles in the Edito B2 textbook I use with my iTalki teacher trickier than the novels or non-fiction I'm reading in books. I don't know why, and perhaps its an illusion and I also suck that much at the books but I just don't realise it. Either way, if I want to do the DELF B2 at some point its the kind of thing you have to master.

I want a hard copy of whatever magazine I get so I can flip around pages and scribble all over it so I'm going to go to some of the newsagencies in town I know are best stocked with foreign mags and see what's there. These places always have French Vogue, Elle, Paris Match etc but I really want something more newsy.
7 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:59 pm

When I was doing a C1 exam prep course a couple of years ago, the teacher was always very impressed by expressions I used that I'd "stolen" from articles I'd read in L'Express magazine. I liked it also because there is a science and technology section for when all the politics gets too much!
2 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:57 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:When I was doing a C1 exam prep course a couple of years ago, the teacher was always very impressed by expressions I used that I'd "stolen" from articles I'd read in L'Express magazine. I liked it also because there is a science and technology section for when all the politics gets too much!

:D I hope to impress them the same way one day .... Yes, that that of thing is exactly what I want too - a variety of things, bit of current affairs, bit of faits divers, maybe a long profile of someone, letters to the editor, science, sport.
2 x

Amandine
Orange Belt

Postby Amandine » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:00 am

When France fielded its under 16s and allowed themselves to lose against Tunisia, thereby almost preventing Australia from advancing in the World Cup, I was about to come back here to announce I would never speak a word of French again and was about to start immersing in Latvian or something. Fortunately I don't have to take such desperate measures but my iTalki teacher in Paris will certainly be hearing about it tonight! La France m'a trahi .... after all I've done for you. :x

I learned a faux amis this week "malicieux" which is "mischievous" not "malicious" - I was feeling the English sense of the word towards my target language at about 3am this morning. :twisted:
10 x

Return to “Language logs”