Eternal Sunshine of the Italian Mind

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Eternal Sunshine of the Italian Mind

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:16 am

Kanewei mentioned an italian book that I've put on my to-read list, but not read myself:
kanewai wrote:Massimo Montanari. Breve storia degli spaghetti al pomodoro. Finished. It was fascinating to learn how many roots, over thousands of years and dozens of cultures, one simple and iconic dish has. There were so many things that had to change and come together (you couldn’t have spaghetti until the invention of the fork, pasta was usually cooked for two hours in broth and served with butter and mountains of cheese, basil was a medicine not food, etc) - every chapter had something new and interesting.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21#p202221

https://www.laterza.it/scheda-libro/?isbn=9788858138809

EDIT
Lingua mentioned another book by the same author, that again I think looks interesting:
lingua wrote:Completed book#5. Il formaggio con le pere: La storia in un proverbio by Massimo Montanari. This was a crazy book. It took one proverb about cheese w/pears and beat it to death quoting writers from 1400s-1800s dealing with the two food items. Variations on the proverb were provided not only in Italian but also French and Spanish. Some of it was hilarious. For example, some doctors back then didn't think cheese was good for you but somehow if you ate it with pears it was better. In the end, I don't think the subject matter was worth the length of the book.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 52#p110452

https://www.laterza.it/scheda-libro/?isbn=9788842093367
3 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:25 pm

I can relate to the things you've written about a lot. My Italian is around B1, and the only books I can read with real ease are chick-lit or detective stories.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12405535-la-circonferenza-delle-arance-la-prima-inchiesta-della-commissaria-lol?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=sMkZ1qyLLl&rank=2
This for example (there's a whole series, not just this one book) is around A2. I could only read the first 100 pages, and should have looked at the ratings first.
Everything I'm truly interested in (Gesualdo Bufalino, Umberto Eco) is far out of my reach. I've been reading some detective novels, but in the end I chose to try and reach B2-C1 with a textbook (Un giorno in Italia) as quickly as I can. When I was studying Spanish, I read a lot of popular fiction, and I simply don't feel that I can do this once more. This textbook is based on a narrative, so it's a bit similar to learning from novels. The story is OK and the characters are nice. I even feel a little suspense sometimes.

So far there's one Italian book I've finished: L'amica geniale by Ferrante. It was surprisingly easy seeing that it's often considered a modern classic. At the same time I DNF all the following:
Jhumpa Lahiri: In altre parole (whining about the difficulty of language learning)
Camilleri: Donne (it's not bad, but got tiring soon, as it doesn't go anywhere, it's just musings)
Camilleri: La voce del violino (quite easy, but not very interesting)
Dacia Maraini: Tre donne (lobotomy)

My ratio in the case of series is even worse. I've found one really good: La mafia uccide solo d'estate. I can't collect the bad ones, but they'd fill a page.

The whole search for books is a hit-and-miss thing, even if I do my research. And there are a lot more misses than hits.
If you tell us what kind of books you like to read, I'll write you a list based on my research. I came to the conclusion that no-one has the exact same taste as me, so recommendations can never be fully trusted, but who knows, maybe you can find something you like.
And I also recommend this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ImaAndtheBooks
5 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:13 pm

rdearman wrote:I just wanted to suggest that you open an Italian books thread like camody did for French. He has gotten tons of recommendations and some book reviews. Also if you tell me what kind of books you like I can try to help find some original stuff. The Italians really do detective novels well. But what is your favourite genre? Sci-Fi, mystery, chick lit, romance, fantasy, horror?

I would avoid Andrea Camilleri books unless you are ok with a lot of scicillan slang. :)

This is a good idea! Which part of the forum should I post asking for recommendations - the general discussion area?

I don't really know which genres I like because it's more about the individual book than the genre. However, I can say that I HATE chick lit/romance, fantasy, and anything dealing with the mafia. I also don't usually like sci-fi books, but I love Star Trek and Battlestar Gallactica and TV shows that are considered sci-fi but I find sci-fi books to be really disappointing so I've given up on them (I've read Asimov and Philip K Dick and it was painful) because even though I think the ideas and plots are interesting, I find the characters to be 2D and wooden and the quality of the writing turns me off. There tends to be little description of the scenes so I can't picture anything in my head. But if there were a sci-fi novel that were really well written with developed, complex characters I think I could get into it.

I also love horror as a genre for TV series/movies but I don't think I tend to read anything in this category in English. I used to like Stephen King when I was in middle school, but I'm not sure that counts as horror. I could get into a well done horror novel. If there's a good Italian horror novel out there, I'd love to know about it!

I'm not much of a mystery/crime thriller book fan in English though I love watching True Crime. I just recently ordered a Donato Carrisi novel (Il Suggeritore) from Book Depository. I probably wouldn't read this in English but I read some reviews of it on an Italian book review blog and it seemed promising.

In general, my favorite books in English are ones where I can learn something (which is usually non-fiction) and I sometimes like memoirs if the person's life was really unique and/or they faced really severe hardships. Though I don't tend to read a lot of fiction, I'm not against it.

Some of my favorite books in English are:
-Blink, David & Goliath (or other books by Malcolm Gladwell)
-Freakonomics (Leavitt/Dubner)
-Antifragile (Nassim Nicholas Taleb)
-The Selfish Gene (Richard Dawkins)
-Quiet (Susan Cain)
-The Glass Castle (Jeannette Walls)
-The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
-Chocolat (Joanne Harris)
-Of Human Bondage (W Somerset Maugham)

So as long as a book isn't chick-lit/romance, fantasy, or about the mafia, it's more about the book and less about the genre. I often read through NYT book reviews and if something catches my attention, I give it a try regardless of the genre.

BeaP wrote:Everything I'm truly interested in (Gesualdo Bufalino, Umberto Eco) is far out of my reach.
I feel the same way - there are some Italian classics (like Il Piacere by D’Annunzio) that I’d love to read but they’re so far above my level that I think they will remain on the back burner indefinitely.

BeaP wrote:The whole search for books is a hit-and-miss thing, even if I do my research. And there are a lot more misses than hits.
If you tell us what kind of books you like to read, I'll write you a list based on my research. I came to the conclusion that no-one has the exact same taste as me, so recommendations can never be fully trusted, but who knows, maybe you can find something you like.
And I also recommend this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ImaAndtheBooks

Yes, recommendations can be difficult because what I consider good is not necessarily what someone else considers good and vice versa. However, I do write down all recommendations and then read up on what they are about and if any of them are available on Amazon, I usually read a few pages to gauge the difficulty/style of of writing. It’s a lot of work that somehow seems to rarely pay off for me in Italian. :oops: Thank you for everything you recommended and the links - I will check everything out!

DaveAgain wrote:Kanewei mentioned an italian book that I've put on my to-read list, but not read myself:
Massimo Montanari. Breve storia degli spaghetti al pomodoro.

Lingua mentioned another book by the same author, that again I think looks interesting:
Il formaggio con le pere: La storia in un proverbio by Massimo Montanari.

I put these on my list to check out, thank you! They sound like books I could really enjoy reading in English. I’ve been staying away from “history” books in Italian because I know they will likely heavily use the passsato remoto tense in the narration and I’m trying to focus on reading stuff with verb tenses that people (at least in the north) use when they talk. I’m also trying to focus on books that have dialogue and modern, colloquial language. However, I do like learning the history behind things so I will give these a peak because if they are really interesting I can ignore the verb tense issue.
7 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:42 pm

I've gone back and forth on the dilemma of easy versus enjoyable input since it's quite hard to find material that ticks both boxes. I think it's always going to be a compromise, especially with a "smaller" language like Italian. You're unlikely to consistently find stuff at the same level as what's available in English, and as rdearman hinted at, many of the most appreciated modern books, films, and series have a lot of dialect so aren't a good choice for learners. Even in other languages, the best stuff is often the most challenging and isn't exactly suited to comprehensible input except for very advanced learners.

So the options are pretty much translations/dubs, which are certainly a great way for less advanced learners to rack up the hours but you don't get all the nice cultural context and the language never feels quite natural and loses a lot from the original, or originals where the quality just isn't great a lot of the time. Well, or quality classic/historical stuff that you've acknowledged the drawbacks of and to be honest the 19th and 20th century classics that I've attempted in Italian mostly just haven't been my thing. I pretty much just read them (with difficulty) in order to be able to say I had read them, and I can barely remember the stories now.

As someone who's been learning languages for a while now, and generally isn't keen on translated work*, I've just accepted that I have to miss out on a lot of great English-language material because I can't fit much of it into my limited reading and TV/film watching time along with foreign-language stuff that is almost always lower quality but is a means to an end.

*: If I'm going to be reading something in translation anyway, because I don't know the original language, that's always a good excuse to read it in an L2 rather than English. I've enjoyed a few Murakami books and Metro 2033 in Italian or Spanish, since I don't know Japanese or Russian. I also don't mind re-reading English originals in other languages, like the typical Harry Potter, but I'd never read them for the first time in translation.

Afraid I can't recommend anything specific that I've not mentioned before, but I would be curious about detective stories. I did also enjoy L'amica geniale although didn't like the sequel much.

I see you mentioned a few good non-fiction works in your favourites. I hate to say it but I think the situation is worse for non-fiction and I wouldn't ever expect to find anything at the level of Antifragile or Freakonomics or Quiet in Italian! I've never found much decent non-fiction in Italian (for example I've tried a few self-help type books and just found them far too fluffy) other than material specifically about the Italian language and culture like Beppe Severgnini's books or the ones DaveAgain mentioned or ones about cookery from Lingua's log. I can't say I've looked into it too deeply, though.
5 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:50 pm

StringerBell wrote:Which part of the forum should I post asking for recommendations - the general discussion area?

Carmody put his thread in the programs and resources area, and it seems to be working out well there. You can check his thread out here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 19&t=10113
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:20 pm

StringerBell wrote:
BeaP wrote:Everything I'm truly interested in (Gesualdo Bufalino, Umberto Eco) is far out of my reach.
I feel the same way - there are some Italian classics (like Il Piacere by D’Annunzio) that I’d love to read but they’re so far above my level that I think they will remain on the back burner indefinitely.

Have you ever considered/tried parallel reading? Take a book you'd really like to read in Italian, but which is too difficult, and it's English translation and read both. There are several options how to do it, depending on the level of (non-)understanding:
If your understanding is mostly good, but there are some scenes you don't get, just re-read those scenes in English and then again in Italian.
If you understand, but feel unsecure about the nuances, read a chapter/a few pages/one page/a paragraph first in Italian and then in English, and - if you like - once again in Italian.
Or, if you feel that there is just too much you don't get and it's lost time to even try the Italian, read the English translation first (a chapter/a few pages/one page/a paragraph, or even the whole book) and then the original.
And of course do check words/phrases in the dictionary, whenever you feel that it will help you.

Try out, whichever option is working best for this or that book, or maybe even change the method during reading a book.

In any case, that's what I do in French and it works quite well for me. (Now there are people who'd copmplain, that they don't have parallel texts, with the sentences in both languages side by side on a screen, but I don't find that necessary at all. I am oldfashioned and read only paper books (AND use only paper dictionaries), and don't think it's difficult to switch between two books. It might be faster and smoother with an electronic device, but necessary it's not.)
5 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:47 pm

garyb wrote:I've gone back and forth on the dilemma of easy versus enjoyable input since it's quite hard to find material that ticks both boxes. I think it's always going to be a compromise, especially with a "smaller" language like Italian. You're unlikely to consistently find stuff at the same level as what's available in English, and as rdearman hinted at, many of the most appreciated modern books, films, and series have a lot of dialect so aren't a good choice for learners. Even in other languages, the best stuff is often the most challenging and isn't exactly suited to comprehensible input except for very advanced learners.

You’re right. It helps to know that I'm not the only one struggling to find material that hits the sweet spot of being both enjoyable and easy. I had no trouble finding tons of books that I wanted to read in Polish so I think that it’s hard to accept that finding Italian books I want to read is so difficult. But it is what it is.

I'm specifically looking for books that:
1) are modern, use colloquial language (not literary language) and have some dialogue
2) aren’t super challenging - no more than 1 or 2 unknown words/idioms/expressions per page
3) are interesting

I just have to accept that finding books with all 3 requirements are impossible (at least for me right now). I think I just have to continue reading books I don’t like/care about and wouldn’t choose otherwise (and will likely be mostly translations) as long as they fit requirement #1.

However, I think translations from French tend to be better than translations from English, so I’ll take a look at Carmody’s recommendation thread for some book ideas in French and see if any of them have been translated to Italian.

I feel confident that if I’m able to continue my current reading strategy, which so far seems to be working wonders (knock on wood) in terms of learning the new vocabulary I’m coming across, I will be able to transition to books that would be too frustrating at my current level but are a little more interesting. That will probably still take quite a while but at least it now feels possible.

Nogon wrote:[Have you ever considered/tried parallel reading?

Yes, I did a lot of parallel reading when I first started reading a few years ago. I’d get an Italian version and an English version of a book, read a page in English and then that same page in Italian. Then I’d read a chapter in English, and the same chapter in Italian. I’ve also read a few books in Italian while listening to the English audiobook, which I enjoyed a lot. I think it’s a great strategy and I highly recommend it, but at this point I think I’ve improved with parallel reading as much as I’m going to and I really just need to beef up my vocabulary and make my brain practice reading (and speaking) until it gets better at it.

Maengin wrote:Thank you for talking about this. I have read your old logs and enjoyed reading about your method with listening and reading to Polish. I didn't realize you listen to the texts for several months. Did you schedule your repeat listenings or was it random? I'm experimenting with intensive listening to text as a beginner but planned to stop listening to each text after a month of several study sessions. Maybe should base it on how well I can understand the text after month and if not well, repeat the cycle.

Hi Maengin - With Polish, I’d read/listen intensively to very short podcasts/beginner stories that had text. Once I felt confident I knew what all/most of the words meant and what all the sentences meant, I’d put that audio on a playlist. Then, any time I was doing something like washing dishes or driving I’d listen extensively to the playlist. I’d put about 20 audio tracks per playlist and I’d keep relistening to them (at first in order and then just randomly).

If I couldn’t remember what something meant (which didn’t happen often), I’d make a mental note to look it up again once I was done with washing dishes. This didn’t happen too often, but the act of remembering which audio track and sentence the unknown word was in and then looking it up again really helped me to remember the word so I never had to do this more than once for any word.

It didn't matter if I zoned out occasionally while listening to these playlists because I knew them so well. When I was aware that my attention was wandering, I could just resume listening to the audio track no matter where it was an still understand what was being said. With extensive listening of new material the minute someone zones out it can take a long time to recover and figure out what people are saying and why once they regain focus.

I also did something similar for Italian - I’d intensively listen to Italian podcasts (from Italiano Automatico or Podcast Italiano), look up all unknowns, and then put them on a playlist to listen to extensively. The repeated listenings made a huge difference in my listening comprehension. I also did this with some Polish and Italian YT videos and TV shows - I’d relisten and rewatch particular ones multiple times, each time looking up more new words until I could finally watch the whole thing without looking up anything. I’m convinced that listening extensively to something that I already worked with intensively is the reason my listening comprehension improved as quickly as it did.

I can still remember sentences and whole stories from the Polish stories I used to listen to repeatedly years ago. I think I ended up listening to many of them about 100 times (I’m not exaggerating!) In my opinion, repetition is one of the most effective strategies in language learning but I get the feeling that many people don’t want to do it because they consider it boring.

I wish I would have applied what worked so well for me with listening (repetition) to reading :oops: but at least I'm doing it now.
7 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:58 pm

Nogon wrote:Have you ever considered/tried parallel reading? Take a book you'd really like to read in Italian, but which is too difficult, and it's English translation and read both. There are several options how to do it, depending on the level of (non-)understanding:
If your understanding is mostly good, but there are some scenes you don't get, just re-read those scenes in English and then again in Italian.
If you understand, but feel unsecure about the nuances, read a chapter/a few pages/one page/a paragraph first in Italian and then in English, and - if you like - once again in Italian.
Or, if you feel that there is just too much you don't get and it's lost time to even try the Italian, read the English translation first (a chapter/a few pages/one page/a paragraph, or even the whole book) and then the original.
And of course do check words/phrases in the dictionary, whenever you feel that it will help you.

Good suggestion! I did this some years ago (a couple of titles in Irish + English, one in Spanish + French + Russian). As you say, there are many ways to do this (sentence→paragraph→page→chapter→book) and there are many formats as well (interlinear, side by side, separate books).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:56 pm

CURRENT EXPERIMENT:
Step 1: Intensive Reading - read 5 pages, look up unknown words, idioms, confusing grammar
Step 2: Extensive Reading - reread those same 5 pages
Step 3: Extensive Reading - reread those same 5 pages
Step 4: Extensive Reading - every time I read 50 pages, go back and reread the last 50 pages
Step 5: Extensive Reading - when I finish the book, reread the whole book from start to finish

Sit Rep: 1/2 book done (150 pages)

This new approach to reading is working so well that it seems too good to be true. In the back of my mind I worry that it's a fluke or it will suddenly stop working at some point. I'm still looking up words only during step #1 and remembering all of them during steps 2, 3, and 4. I've decided that when I get through the whole book, for step 5 I'll reread it while listening to the audiobook as a slight change-up.

I came across the word "mozzicone" (cigarette butt) in my current book. I had to look it up because I didn't know what it meant. After looking it up, I realized that not only was it a word that had appeared in another book I read months ago (Il Castello di Vetro) but I had even made an Anki flashcard for it and despite that I could never seem to remember it for some reason. However, using my current reading method, not only did I remember it easily in context during steps #2 and #3 but I can effortlessly recall it days later and even use it when speaking now. I don't understand why this reading strategy is working so well. It's kind of blowing my mind.

In other news, I've been binge-watching the YT channel Elisa True Crime (in Italian). Elisa posts both videos on YT for each episode and podcast versions. So far, I've been watching on YT. I'm a sucker for true crime TV shows so this series has been really fun and addictive. Finally something in Itailan I can get really into! She covers a wide variety of stories, many of which I've never heard of. I find Elisa very easy to understand (she has a mostly neutral, standard Italian accent). Per 1 hour episode there are about a handful or two unknown words, and most of them I can easily figure out from context.

I generally don't look words up since I'm watching this extensively as a relaxing activity, but if there's something I hear repeatedly or it just piques my curiosity I do look it up. This is how I learned the expression "si è diffuso a macchia d'olio" which means it spread like wildfire. I never would have guessed it meant that since I kept hearing "oil stain" and was like, "Why the hell is she talking about an oil stain? That must be some weird idiom or I'm mishearing it." I've also recognized a few words that I learned from my novel in some episodes, which was pretty exciting.

This is a "lighter" episode because no one gets killed (most episodes involve murders/kidnappings/cults, etc...). This episode is about how a crazy internet troll tried to ruin a woman's life by posting lies about her online because she didn't like a comment made on Facebook.

I've been speaking in Italian more lately, though very informally. I often find new words and phrases from my novel pop into my head and I try to use them in spontaneous sentences in random moments throughout the day. I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the complicated stuff that's come out of my mouth lately :lol: Still more work to do, but it's nice to be able to see some improvement in the complexity of what I can say.

I'm still working on practicing verb conjugations. I've added 2nd conjugation to the rotation. It took me a long time to add that one in because I was worried that if I moved on from 1st conjugation too quickly I'd start confusing everything. So far, so good. Once I finish 3rd conjugation and a few more irregular verbs, I'll start talking (and writing) more regularly.
9 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:15 pm

CURRENT EXPERIMENT:
Step 1: Intensive Reading - read 5 pages, look up unknown words, idioms, confusing grammar
Step 2: Extensive Reading - reread those same 5 pages
Step 3: Extensive Reading - reread those same 5 pages
Step 4: Extensive Reading - every time I read 50 pages, go back and reread the last 50 pages
Step 5: Extensive Reading - when I finish the book, reread the whole book from start to finish

READING:

2 days ago I finished step 4 (rereading pages 150-200). I continue to be impressed with how rereading transforms a novel that I have to work at into something I can easily understand. Even when I go back to read pages from weeks ago, I recognize all the words, remember their meanings and reading feels effortless. I know exactly what’s happening in every sentence as easily as if I were reading in English. No hazy assumptions that a word probably means x, or telling myself that it’s not important that I don’t know what a word means because it has x function in a sentence. There’s no ambiguity. Even though I haven’t finished the book yet (another 100 pages to go) I feel like I “own” it; I have a very solid understanding of every word, sentence, and paragraph that I’ve read. It’s an amazing feeling and one that I never expected to experience.

LISTENING:

I’m still watching Elisa True Crime episodes whenever I have down time as a way to relax. I find her exceptionally easy to understand and I enjoy her style of storytelling.

SPEAKING:

Last week for the first time in many months I did a proper LE. I got back in touch with my longtime Italian LE partner (who dropped off the radar for a bit due to some life stuff). I was actually really nervous about talking since I haven’t done a proper exchange in something like 6 months so I warned him that I would be really rusty and then proceeded to have the best LE I’ve ever had. I’m sure I made grammar mistakes but talking felt easy and fluid in a way I don’t remember it being before. I only had to stop and rephrase what I was trying to say once or twice; the rest of the hour I felt like I could say everything I wanted to without digging myself into a hole like I usually do. It really surprised me how well it went. I’m not sure whether I actually was better or it just felt like I was. We’re planning to resume more regular calls, so hopefully going forward I continue to feel as positive about my conversational ability and this wasn’t just a fluke.

I have more to say about speaking, but I'll save it for a separate post since this update will be long enough as is.

GRAMMAR:

I’m still on 2nd conjugation (-ere) for 13 (previously 11) tenses. I’m purposely going r e a l l y slowly because I’m afraid that if I blow through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd conjugations too quickly I’ll end up confusing them and this will have been a waste. I’m reviewing everything I’ve already learned most days. So far I seem to be remembering everything even though I occasionally make mistakes with “you (plural)”. That is the hardest conjugation for me to remember. I think it’s because I rarely use it or hear/read it compared to the other ones. I’ll probably start 3rd conjugation (-ire) this week. I should probably also study a few of the irregular verbs even though I really don’t want to.

WRITING:

I’ve done no writing at all but I’ve been thinking about writing (does that count?). So technically I’m in the planning stage for some writing projects that I’d like to do soon. I originally was planning to wait until I’d finished studying 13 tenses but I might start writing before I finish 3rd conjugation + irregulars since it feels like that will take forever and I’m itching to start writing something. Or maybe I'll still wait, I don't know.

A few days ago I came up with an idea to make a mini Anki deck for every word related to cars, including words I know well, words I recognize but can’t recall to use in a conversation, and the ones I don’t know at all. I’ve got about 40 words. It’s nice having such a small deck that includes some words I already know - reviews are really quick.

After a week, when I feel like I can recall all the words easily, I’m going to write something incorporating all of them… and then delete the deck (which is my favorite part of using Anki!) I think this will be a good way to write about something a little more challenging than just free writing about my day. I might even write several things related to cars, like describing a time I got a flat tire or had some other kind of car trouble, or how I learned to drive stick shift, or maybe comparing my current car to my first car. Afterward, I’ll get corrections and then try to rewrite the same thing again, incorporating as many corrections as I can remember. Maybe I’ll even do this rewriting part several times. If relistening and rereading work so well, maybe rewriting will lead to bigger improvements, too? We’ll find out! If it’s a success, I’d like to repeat it with other subjects where my vocab knowledge is a little spotty.

I’d also like to do some summaries of the Elisa True Crime episodes I watch and the 5 pages in my novel that I read almost daily. Maybe "like" isn't the right word... I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading these writing activiites because I know they'll take a lot of effort but I think they also have the potential to lead to tangible improvements, which I would really appreciate. I’m not sure yet how often I’ll work on writing but I’m hoping it’ll turn into a more regular thing.
8 x

Return to “Language logs”