Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: 22–28 May 2022

Postby Herodotean » Mon May 30, 2022 12:11 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:I hear you.
Sometimes as I know you know histories specific to the times or general about Ancient Greek history help in this regard. Robert B. Strassler's Landmark Xenophon's Hellenika offers a list of histories in the Bibliography for the General Reader, pages 521-522. I myself am not familiar with any of those works, nor have I read the several essays at the back of that book that may provide some help.

You're right, of course, and I did consider buying the Landmark Hellenica a few times. I probably should have. But since my interest dropped off considerably after Book 2, and I was reading it so slowly, I didn't do the obvious thing.
1 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

29 May – 4 June 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:00 am

Most of my energy this week has been devoted to Philostratus, whose hero Apollonius is now in Rome, where he voluntarily went to stand trial before the emperor Domitian. He has been falsely accused of killing someone through witchcraft. Only fifty more pages . . .

I'm ahead on reading for the Super Challenges, but I haven't yet had a chance to start catching up on audio.

Latin
  • Cicero, Tusculanae disputationes 1.72–86
  • Erasmus, Colloquia pp. 323–46
  • Boethius, De consolatione philosophiae 2.1–4
  • Gasparri, Catechismus Catholicus pp. 45–57
Greek
  • Pausanias, Graeciae descriptio 1.6.1–1.7.3
  • Tatianus, Ad Graecos 1–2 (1 page)
  • Philostratus’ Life of Apollonius 6.13.2–43 (end), 7.1–29 (48 pages)
  • Homer, Iliad 1.1–171
  • memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.1–12
German
  • an academic article (12 pp. so far)
Spanish
  • Dos Vidas: finished 0104, started 0105
5 x

Beosweyne
Yellow Belt
Languages: En (L1), Fr (A2), Af (A1), Ar (beg.), Zu (beg.)
Ancient:
La (A2), Gr (A2), Eg (beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16342

Re: 29 May – 4 June 2022

Postby Beosweyne » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:00 am

Herodotean wrote:memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.1–12

Wow that certainly caught my eye! Is there a set number of lines you'd like to memorise this time around? Ten weeks ago I wanted to memorise the opening lines of the Odyssey, but then I didn't feel like stopping and now I'm at verse 118!
3 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Re: 29 May – 4 June 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Beosweyne wrote:
Herodotean wrote:memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.1–12

Wow that certainly caught my eye! Is there a set number of lines you'd like to memorise this time around? Ten weeks ago I wanted to memorise the opening lines of the Odyssey, but then I didn't feel like stopping and now I'm at verse 118!

That's great! I plan to stop at line 52, but if the urge takes me I may just keep going. Or I might maintain the Homer and switch to memorizing some Virgil.
3 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

5–11 June 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:21 pm

Less activity this week due to a few days off the grid with family. Despite that, however, I managed to finish Philostratus' Life of Apollonius, which took me forty-seven days to read (starting in March of this year).

Latin
  • Marc-Antoine Muret, De laudibus litterarum (Or. II) (8 pp.)
  • Gasparri, Catechismus Catholicus pp. 58–81
  • Familia Romana ch. 3 with exercitia.
Greek
  • Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 7.30–8.31 (~50 pages)
  • memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.13–21
German
  • part of an academic article
Spanish
  • some podcasts
7 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

12–18 June 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:08 pm

Latin
  • Cicero, Tusculanae disputationes 1.87–119 (end of Bk. 1)
  • Erasmus, Colloquia pp. 347–65
  • Gasparri, Catechismus Catholicus pp. 82–90
  • Audio: maybe an hour of Ad Alpes.
Greek
  • Gospel of John 1–6
  • Lucian, Alexander
  • Lucian, Charon 1–7
  • Tatianus, Ad Graecos 3–4
  • memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.22–34
German
  • an academic article
Spanish
  • Dos Vidas 1.6 and over half of 1.7
6 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

19–25 June 2022

Postby Herodotean » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:47 am

Cicero’s De senectute, which I read this past week, contains the following statement by (the character) Cato: “Pythagoreorumque more exercendae memoriae gratia, quid quoque die dixerim, audierim, egerim, commemoro vesperi” (“Like the Pythagoreans, in order to exercise my memory, I take note in the evening of whatever I have said, heard, or did each day”). Since I need to write more Latin and Greek, I am going to adopt Cato’s custom for myself and write a bit each evening about what I’ve done that day, including thoughts on whatever I’ve read (and reading is probably implied in Cato’s audierim). I’ve never been able to keep a consistent diary in any language, including English, so will it stick? Stay tuned. I might post excerpts here from time to time.

Latin
  • Cicero, De senectute (47 pages). An exquisite little work, which I last read in 2014 (I think). I might make a habit of reading it once a year.
  • Erasmus, Colloquia pp. 366–70
  • Gasparri, Catechismus Catholicus pp. 91–93
  • Laurentius Valla, Elegantiae linguae Latinae pp. 1–13
Greek
  • Gospel of John 7–13
  • Lucian, Charon 8–end
  • Isocrates, Panegyricus 85–114
  • Homer Iliad 1.172–253
  • Plato, Phaedrus 227a–237b
  • Philostratus, Vitae sophistarum 1.51–53
  • memorization: Homer, Iliad 1.35–40
German
  • Not much this week. Some academic prose.
Spanish
  • Dos Vidas: last half of 7, all of 8, first half of 9
11 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

26 June – 2 July 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:19 am

Well. Did I stick to the praiseworthy resolution I made in my last post? Of course not! Why would I do anything so sensible?

This was a week of upheaval and new routines, particularly unfitted to the adoption of anything new. There was so much upheaval, in fact, that I didn't even bother to keep a proper log. So instead of my usual list, I will record the following impressions of the past week:

I watched a lot of Spanish TV (several hours of Dos Vidas). I'm still missing a lot, but I'm catching some things that I would have missed a few weeks ago. And I'm only ten hours in. As I suspected earlier, the unavailability of subtitles is a good thing for me at this point. I've also noticed that (1) rewinding thirty seconds and watching again can actually be helpful -- another change from the recent past -- and that (2) my comprehension noticeably improves after the first few minutes, which means I'm now aiming for at least 15-20 minutes per session, preferably more.

I didn't read much Greek or Latin, and I'm behind on the Super Challenges (hopelessly behind on the film/audio portions, but I expected that; I can easily catch up on the reading in a day or two). One of the few things I did read was Cicero's Somnium Scipionis, which is almost as sublime as his De senectute. The Somnium was originally in Cicero's De re publica, most of which is now lost, but was preserved because Macrobius wrote a commentary on it in the fifth century AD. Perhaps I'll read Macrobius at some point.

I did very little German. That's okay. I read a bit here and there.

My Persian continues to languish. It will have to languish for a few weeks more, I'm afraid.

I will try to actually write more Greek and Latin this coming week. Wish me luck.
10 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

3–9 July 2022

Postby Herodotean » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:55 pm

Hac hebdomade potui vix quicquam Latine, nec multum Graece legere. Apud Ciceronem quaedam legi capitula eius operis quod “Brutus” inscribitur, in quo ars oratoria tractatur una cum temporis praeteriti oratoribus et Graecis et Romanis. Quo tamen operam sermoni Latino maiorem darem, quamvis fessus, “Fabularum Syrae” quae vocantur, ab Aloysio scite compositae, nonnullas perlegi.

Περὶ μὲν τῶν γραμμάτων τῶν ῥωμαϊκῶν τοσαῦτα εἰρήσθω. περὶ δὲ τῶν ἑλληνικῶν πλέονά ἔχω εἰπεῖν. οὐ γὰρ μόνον κεφάλαιά τινα τῆς καινῆς διαθήκης ἀνέγνων καὶ τῶν ἑβδομήκοντα, ἀλλὰ καὶ τὸ τέλος τοῦ Πανεγυρικοῦ λόγου τῷ Ἰσωκράτει συγγεγραμμένου καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν τοῦ πρὸς Φίλιππον καὶ ὅλον τὸ τοῦ Λουκιανοῦ Συμπόσιον. τὸν δὲ πρὸς Φίλιππον ἅτε ἧσσον γοργιάζοντα, ὡς ἔμοιγε δοκεῖ, προτιμῶ τοῦ Πανεγυρικοῦ, ἐν ᾧ ἐστιν ὅτε ἡ λέξις τῆς διανοίας φαίνεται κρατεῖν. ἐν ἐκείνῳ δὲ παρακελεύεται ὁ Ἰσωκράτης, ἤδη γέρων ὤν, τῷ Φιλίππῳ πολεμεῖν τοῖς Πέρσαις, ἵνα οἱ Ἕλληνες παυσάμενοι στασιάζοντες εἰς ἐχθρὸν κοινὸν ἀποβλέπωσιν. Λουκιανὸς δὲ ἐν τῷ Συμποσίῳ διηγεῖται φιλοσόφους παρὰ πότον μαχομένους οὐδὲ τοῖς ἑαυτῶν δόγμασιν ἐμμένοντας· οἱ μὲν γὰρ Στοϊκοὶ οὐδέν ἀδιάφορον ἡγοῦνται, οἱ δὲ Ἐπικούρειοι τὴν σωματικὴν ἡδονήν περὶ πλείστου ποιοῦνται.

Latin
  • Tanquerey, Brevior synopsis theologiae dogmaticae 1–4
  • Cicero, Brutus 1–57 (15 pp.)
  • Miraglia, Fabulae Syrae pp. 20–38
Greek
  • New Testament: Gospel of John 20–21 (end)
  • New Testament: Romans 1–5
  • Septuagint: Genesis 1
  • Isocrates, Panegyricus 150–189 (end; 10 pp.)
  • Isocrates, Philip 1–31 (7 pp.)
  • Lucian, Symposium (20 pp.)
German
  • Hardly anything this week.
Spanish
  • Dos Vidas: last half of 11.
  • Some YouTube.
8 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Postby Querneus » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Quantum me libet animadvertere aliquem nostrum Super Challenge et Latine et Graece agere. Non enim accidere solet ut linguis antiquis id exsequi aliquis velit, praesertim si non sunt tirones. Macte virtute, pergeque tuas tam bene adhuc effectas lectiones.

De audiendi meta, scin' iam de 70 incisionum horis in Latinitio? In mentem mihi venit Super Challenge in summa 150 horas exigere, quod sibi vult quemcumque metam attingere posse si has 70 horas bis audiat, solummodo 10 horis magis additis.

Obiter, hunc "filum" seu blog quibusdam monstravi, et duo ex eis qui etiam magistri linguae latinae sunt, cum tua incepta inspirantia perceperunt et probaverunt, tum et dixerunt nunc suā quoque interesse Super Challenge conari. :)
6 x

Return to “Language logs”