Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Postby Herodotean » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:26 pm

Severine wrote:I'm a lapsed classicist who's keen to follow your progress, if you don't mind. Expect me to be lurking about as the super challenge gets underway. My own will include Latin, though no Greek (this time). I seem to be the opposite of you in terms of favourites: Greek was fascinating, but if I'm honest, if never grabbed me by the throat the way Latin did. My primary motivation for mastering it was that any serious Latinist needs excellent Greek.

I love that you're using LaTeX, by the way. There's a lot to like in this thread!

Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I'm more or less the opposite: Latin is wonderful but will never, for me, quite measure up to Greek. But for a variety of reasons Latin tends to get more of my attention, which is partly why I'm doing the SC for Greek. Latin will just have to take care of itself for a while.
2 x
Ancient Greek SC 2024–25
reading : 1 / 100
listening : 1 / 100

Plato ἑλληνιστί by 31 Dec. 2025
: 14 / 100

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Thu May 02, 2024 3:53 am

The first day of the Super Challenge is in the books: Plato's Apology (13 pages) and Randall Buth's recording of 1 John (20 minutes). Let's hope this is not the only day I'm actually ahead of schedule . . .

Other languages: I've spent a fair amount of time drilling German verbs on Linguno, thanks to Cavesa's mentioning it. It's fantastic! I only wish there were something similar for German nouns and adjectives (recommendations welcome). My interest in Spanish is slipping: I have trouble finding things I'm interested in watching or listening to, and I don't have much time to read. Maybe I just need to stop trying to make Spanish speaking and listening happen unless I move somewhere with more opportunities to use it in everyday life. I might start putting the (meager) time I was giving Spanish into French or Italian instead. Hebrew is stalled for the moment; in a week or two I expect to have more time and energy to start up Aleph with Beth again.
6 x
Ancient Greek SC 2024–25

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Sun May 05, 2024 4:21 am

Greek
Still on target for the Super Challenge. So far I've read Plato's Apology and Clitophon and listened to thirty minutes of Xenophon of Ephesus' Ephesiaca (read by Stratakis). Only the Clitophon is new to me. Its authenticity is debated, and (I think) with good reason: it's very short and features Clitophon, a very minor character in the Republic, complaining to Socrates about the effectiveness of Socrates' speeches on virtue. Clitophon claims to be convinced that the most important thing in life is to live virtuously, as Socrates argues, but he's frustrated at Socrates' purported refusal to say what virtue actually is. Clitophon ends by threatening, if Socrates doesn't change his ways, to keep spending time with Thrasymachus and Lysias -- who receive substantial Platonic criticism in the Republic and Phaedrus, respectively. The way the dialogue brings in Clitophon, Thrasymachus, and Lysias feels more to me like a later school exercise in imitation of Plato (by a virtuoso, to be sure) than Plato himself.

Latin
I'm resisting the temptation to sign up for a half-SC.

German
Some Linguno, some Berliner Zeitung articles. Disappointed to find that at some point in the past few months, while I wasn't listening to it, DW's Langsam Gesprochene Nachrichten seems to have started using text to speech rather than a real human.

Hebrew, Spanish, French
Virtually nothing.
8 x
Ancient Greek SC 2024–25

Return to “Language logs”