Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Re: Herodotean's log (Latin, Greek, German, Spanish, etc.)

Postby Herodotean » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm

Well, "best-laid schemes" and all that. Life seems determined to get in the way of language study: thanks to illness, mundane chores like applying for jobs and selling a car, etc., etc., I've barely read anything since August, let alone done what I'd planned.

I do have one development to report: I now have lunch a few times per month with a group of Spanish speakers (native speakers, heritage speakers, and some L2 speakers like me). I've been pleased to find that my productive skills haven't entirely atrophied and are in fact getting better week to week. That has inspired me to read a bit more Spanish here and there and to finally start using Gramática de uso del Español (B1-B2) by Aragonés and Palencia. I'm proceeding sequentially but skipping chapters I don't think I need right now.

I've set it up in LaTeX with a master document like so:

Code: Select all

[snip]

\newpage
\tableofcontents

\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap001.tex}
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap002.tex}
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap003.tex} %13 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap004.tex} %14 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap005.tex} %14-15 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap006.tex} %15 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap012.tex} %26 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap014.tex} %28 October 2023
\newpage
\input{AragonésyPalenciaCap026.tex} %29 October 2023

Results:

Since each chapter has its own .tex file, it's easier to work with.
8 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:51 pm

Greek
Some time ago, I decided to read all of Plato in Greek by the end of 2025. I am now behind, but not so far behind that I can't catch up. Currently I'm reading the Republic, some of which I've read in Greek before. Other projects: reading Luke and translating some Seneca from Latin to Greek.

Latin
I am reading a bit of Thomas Aquinas each day (from a lovely all-Latin anthology of Aquinas' works, organized according to the liturgical year). I also just started reading Martianus Capella's De nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii, a bizarre and stylistically labyrinthine late antique work on the liberal arts. It seems (to me, at least) fairly difficult, though easier than, say, Tacitus or Ammianus Marcellinus.

Spanish
Some listening, some reading. I was given an anthology of Golden Age Spanish poetry for Christmas, which I look forward to browsing.

German
Some listening, not much reading at all.
12 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 pm

You popped into my head yesterday when I was talking about the TLG, to which you IIRC introduced me. Which got me to wondering how you've been.
All of Plato and lots of Aquinas are worthy goals. Though I've done a number of Plato, I've read none of Aquinas.
Also, I need to make myself read more of The Republic than Book 1, though I am hung up now on Thucydides and decided to tackle the speeches, which I've avoided like the plague, no pun intended.
Anyways, bien hecho y suerte.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:57 am

Rather than restarting Persian, and after almost starting some variety of Arabic instead, I'm taking a fresh run at Classical Hebrew using Aleph with Beth. I'm about ten videos in. The production values are high for YouTube, the content is engaging, and the pacing (so far) is excellent -- though I'm wondering where I'll fall off the comprehensibility cliff that plagues inductive methods. I watched a few of their videos back in 2020, I think, but they seem to have improved since then; along with what I think is better pacing, I don't remember the online quizzes they have now or their grammar notes for each video, but I may have missed them. My goals for Hebrew are fairly modest: to be able to read a few verses to a chapter of the Hebrew Bible per day with the help of a reader's lexicon or reader's edition. I hope this attempt sticks.
10 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 am

Greek
Most of my reading lately has been 20 New Testament verses or so a day in Codex Vaticanus. I'm very slowly working my way through the Vatican's fantastic introduction to Greek paleography, which is infinitely more helpful than the one-week course I took years ago at a fancy European university. Since I'd like to read Greek MSS with relative ease, I'm trying to spend quite a bit of time with one MS before moving on to another. Vaticanus' uncial script is generally quite clear, but I think reading many pages with an easy script builds good habits that will help later on, even with miniscule.

Hebrew
I'm almost at two weeks of Aleph with Beth and have yet to fall off a cliff. So far: lots of animal and nature vocabulary, "there is"/"there isn't" ("Yesh there is and no there ain," commented a YouTube viewer), the construct state (which is far easier to understand in context than I ever found it in a textbook), but no verbs yet.

Latin, Spanish, German
Not much, other than some travel documentaries in German.
8 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:34 am

Greek
A bit of Theophrastus' Characters, an amusing work which devotes a paragraph or so to stereotyped personalities: the toady, the babbler, etc.

Latin
I read the first book of the Rhetorica ad Herennium a week or so ago.

Hebrew
Still working at Aleph with Beth, though the pace has slowed. I bought a reader's edition Hebrew Bible and have found if I know a passage well enough already, and if the Hebrew is exceptionally easy, I can just barely make it out.

French
For some reason I've felt drawn to French recently, so I've actually done a bit of listening -- I hardly ever listen to French -- and started reading St. François de Sales' Introduction à la vie dévote, the style of which is surprisingly plain for seventeenth-century European literature (in the preface he explains that he intentionally avoided the typical literary flourishes in order to make the work more accessible). And just tonight I read Mérimée's brilliant short story "Mateo Falcone" (favorite quotation: "L’emploi d’une bonne ménagère, en cas de combat, est de charger les armes de son mari"). I had no idea Mérimée founded the Musée de Cluny, of which I have very fond memories from visits years ago.

German
I'm forty or so pages into Eduard Norden's magisterial work Die antike Kunstprosa (1915). Its frequent quotations from both Latin and Greek help explain why I haven't felt it necessary to read much else in either of those languages recently. A sampling:
  • A self-deprecating caution (emphasis mine): "Vor allem werden wir Moderne, speziell wir Deutsche, uns hüten müssen, unsere ästhetischen Begriffe von Formenvollendung im Stil der Prosa zu identifizieren mit denen des Altertums: wir müssen versuchen, da, wo wir nicht mitempfinden können, wenigstens nachzuempfinden" (p. 11).
  • On Herodotus: "In Wahrheit ist Herodot noch viel mehr als Hekataios ein Kind der neuen Zeit, und der Hauptreiz seiner Persönlichkeit sowohl wie seines Werkes nach Inhalt und Stil liegt ja gerade in der wundervollen Mischung von altväterlicher Strenge und moderner Subjektivität, von Naivität und Reflexion" (p. 39).
  • And on Gorgias: "Aus dem Gesagten ergibt sich, daß Gorgias, wenn er seine Folgerung Prosa der Poesie annäherte, nichts absolut Neues schuf, sondern auch hier das abschließende Glied einer naturgemäßen Entwicklungsreihe bildet. Der Fehler, in den er aber auch hier verfiel, war die Übertreibung: nicht die einfache Hoheit des Epos, sondern den Enthusiasmus der dithyrambischen Diktion und den pathetischen Kothurn der Tragödie führte er durch überkühne Wortkompositionen und Metaphern in die Prosa ein; das war es, was das ganze Altertum, soweit es nicht auf seiner Seite stand, tadelte, soweit es in seinem Bann stand, ihm nachmachte; da die letztere Partei die Oberhand gewann, so ist Gorgias, der Begründer der antiken Kunstprosa, an ihrem Ruin schuld geworden."
14 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:29 pm

I like your post, though maybe I don't understand the German so well. :D Good to see you're still kicking.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Having spectacularly failed to complete the 2022-23 Super Challenge, I am contemplating registering for the 2024-25 version. How foolish of me! But even though I didn't finish the last SC, I still read more Greek and Latin, and listened to more Spanish, than I probably would have without it. So that's how I'm approaching this one: if it means I read more than I would have otherwise, it's a success, whether I reach the official goal or not.

And because I ended up with severe tracking fatigue last time, I'm doing a full challenge for ancient Greek only, both reading and listening. I am not going to track my reading by the page or listening by the minute for any other language.

In order to avoid other, more pressing responsibilities, I am productively procrastinating by amassing audio material. The full challenge involves 150 hours of listening. Currently I have about 23 hours. So unless I find more, I'll be listening to everything I have between 6 and 7 times. We'll see how that goes. There's quite a bit of material at Julius Tomin's site (http://www.juliustomin.org/greekreadaloud.html) that I haven't yet downloaded. Tomin's reading is generally good, but he does miss accents now and then. If I were rich, I would buy all of Ioannis Stratakis' prose recordings.

What I've been doing recently: listening to German podcasts and reading the Berliner Zeitung, doing some German grammar exercises, reading Lucian's Gallus, and not much else.
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:53 pm

The key word here is "spectacular." So long as it's spectacular, all is good. :)
If I were rich, I would pay Ioannis Stratakis to record everything he has not recorded so far. I've thought about doing some on my own, but it just would not sound right. An American English accent with a slight powdering of Texan. Oy.
Good luck with the full challenge.
3 x

Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Postby Severine » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:00 am

I'm a lapsed classicist who's keen to follow your progress, if you don't mind. Expect me to be lurking about as the super challenge gets underway. My own will include Latin, though no Greek (this time). I seem to be the opposite of you in terms of favourites: Greek was fascinating, but if I'm honest, if never grabbed me by the throat the way Latin did. My primary motivation for mastering it was that any serious Latinist needs excellent Greek.

I love that you're using LaTeX, by the way. There's a lot to like in this thread!
3 x
French ..... Read : 0 / 10000 Watch : 0 / 18000
Latin ........ Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 0 / 9000
Russian .... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500
Mandarin .. Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 0 / 4500

Return to “Language logs”