Quibono’s Chinese Against Advice

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Quibono
Languages: English (N), French (~B1)

Quibono’s Chinese Against Advice

Postby Quibono » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 pm

I really like brute force memorization, and hate listening to advice. I’ve been told learning Chinese vocabulary out of context will severely hinder me.

I also plan to totally ignore that, learn out of context, mostly not study grammar, and just focus on getting my HSK vocabulary up as high as I can as quickly as I can. Extensive reading to follow (once I can crack open Harry Potter with a pop up dictionary.

Join me for some good fun and idiocy. :)
2 x

Quibono
Languages: English (N), French (~B1)

Re: Quibono’s Chinese Against Advice

Postby Quibono » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:02 pm

I’ve now come up with an even sillier way of doing things, which I actually think might be quite fun. First I found a frequency list of words, but that was 27K words long. So I asked myself, “Why not learn characters, and then just osmose/infer/figure out the words as I read” why not indeed? So now I have a list of 9k characters sorted by frequency that I am studying using Pleco’s spaced repetition system.

My plan is to keep learning only characters until a specific medium feels accessible, and then I’m allowed to engage with it. I fully expect that it’ll be hard for me to learn the words, but that’s a significant part of the fun, imho.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”