Spanish B2 by the end of 2022?

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Spanish B2 by the end of 2022?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:12 pm

haziz wrote:P.S. I guess I don't know how to embed the YouTube link as a video; here is the web address of a delightful DW documentary dubbed into Spanish.

Include the code. Nothing else. It's in the description as well (which you can see if you hover over the youtube button).

Code: Select all

[youtube]3yLoofhSdVc[/youtube]

becomes this:

2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:46 am

Also worked on Anki (5000 word vocabulary) for about an hour.

I have not touched my Gramática de uso del español for a couple of days now. I have to get back to my grammar practice!
3 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).

Postby haziz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:53 pm

Watched episode two of Animales Políticos that covered the presidency in Costa Rica as well as the separation of powers including the issues arising as the country evolves from a two party state to a multiparty state. I found this episode a little harder to follow than episode one and while I started with Spanish closed captioning on, I ended up using auto-generated English closed captioning for the rest of the program. I am still looking forward to finishing this series on the political system of the Latin American country that I have visited the most.

Listened to about half an hour of the "beginner" stream of News in Slow Spanish.

Another half an hour of Anki vocabulary review.

I will brush up a bit on the préterito imperfecto de indicativo before calling it a day. It is a bit scary how quickly one forgets things. It was only last week that I felt quite confident that I had the préterito imperfecto down pat.
2 x
Spanish:

haziz
Yellow Belt

Postby haziz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 am

1 x
Spanish:

haziz
Yellow Belt

Postby haziz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:33 pm

45 minutes on Anki. It is a little frustrating. The words I know, I seem to know well, but the ones I am not familiar with seem to be still very forgettable despite seemingly endless repetition.
1 x
Spanish:

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:27 pm

haziz wrote:45 minutes on Anki. It is a little frustrating. The words I know, I seem to know well, but the ones I am not familiar with seem to be still very forgettable despite seemingly endless repetition.

Out of curiosity, what are your cards like? Vocab cards, sentence cards, definition cards, cloze cards, bilingual L1>L2, bilingual L2>L1, monolingual, etc.? I too struggled to find cards that worked for me for Spanish (I ended up archiving my entire Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal deck), but I kept tweaking until I found something that worked for me. I also combined it with Iversen's list method, such that I end up knowing the cards I "forget" once better than the other cards, though it does add some time to the back end of my reviews.

So I would say, don't be afraid to experiment with card type or combine with other methods if you're having issues.
2 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:31 pm

haziz wrote:

Watched episode two of Animales Políticos that covered the presidency in Costa Rica as well as the separation of powers including the issues arising as the country evolves from a two party state to a multiparty state. I found this episode a little harder to follow than episode one and while I started with Spanish closed captioning on, I ended up using auto-generated English closed captioning for the rest of the program. I am still looking forward to finishing this series on the political system of the Latin American country that I have visited the most.

Just so you know, there is Costa Rican slang in there. That ups the level that this is at. If you were able to follow along, good on you. You are kicking some language-learning butt. ;)
2 x

haziz
Yellow Belt

Postby haziz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 pm

AllSubNoDub wrote:
haziz wrote:45 minutes on Anki. It is a little frustrating. The words I know, I seem to know well, but the ones I am not familiar with seem to be still very forgettable despite seemingly endless repetition.

Out of curiosity, what are your cards like? Vocab cards, sentence cards, definition cards, cloze cards, bilingual L1>L2, bilingual L2>L1, monolingual, etc.? I too struggled to find cards that worked for me for Spanish (I ended up archiving my entire Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal deck), but I kept tweaking until I found something that worked for me. I also combined it with Iversen's list method, such that I end up knowing the cards I "forget" once better than the other cards, though it does add some time to the back end of my reviews.

So I would say, don't be afraid to experiment with card type or combine with other methods if you're having issues.

Mostly an AnkiWeb shared vocabulary list of the 5000 most frequent Spanish words. I also have the printed book version on which this is based but I rarely use the printed book. I am too lazy to try to create my own word list, but I suspect that doing so would produce a marginally more relevant list for me. I can produce my own list of vocabulary from Radio Ambulante using their Lupa app, but I have not tried to do so, so far. I am just learning how to do that. I am listening to Radio Ambulante only intermittently.

I do have the noble intention to start using an Anki verb conjugation stack, but it is complex to use, and I did not find it Intuitive when I tried to use it in the recent past.
2 x
Spanish:

haziz
Yellow Belt

Postby haziz » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am

Work commitments, including on the upcoming weekend, are limiting my free time and ability to study this week. I am tinkering with Anki for about 30 - 45 minutes a day, and listening to some audio, e.g. News in Slow Spanish briefly while doing things around the house and during my brief commute.

In addition to the Anki vocabulary practice, I picked a new Anki deck that teaches 9000 “canned” sentences. I think it would help “automaticity” of sentence creation while speaking, and provides examples of sentence structure and to some extent vocabulary. Sometimes I wonder if my alternate answer is also correct and could be used as an alternative, but of course this deck provides only one “correct” answer. A native speaker, embedded in Anki, overseeing me do the exercises would have been nice, but I don’t believe there is such an option within Anki! ;)
3 x
Spanish:

haziz
Yellow Belt

Postby haziz » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:52 pm

1 x
Spanish:

Return to “Language logs”