Esty's Log [Hebrew, Arabic]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
stressedyesty
Languages: English (N), Arabic (intermediate), Hebrew (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17326

Esty's Log [Hebrew, Arabic]

Postby stressedyesty » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Hi! I've been feeling very motivated after a long break from language learning. I'd like to start a journal to keep myself accountable. I'll be focused on Biblical and Modern Hebrew and Arabic.

Biblical Hebrew:
I’m an Orthodox Jew, and I became religious as an adult. As a result, I haven’t studied Biblical Hebrew in a methodical way. I say the daily prayers in Hebrew and know a lot of random words through exposure. I’d like to get organized and start intentionally building my vocabulary. Eventually, I’d also like to work on grammar. I’m only interested in reading skills for Biblical Hebrew.
Materials:
  • The Guide to Lashon Hakodesh: Mastering the Basics
  • The Guide to Lashon Hakodesh: Mastering Hebrew Verbs
  • Random assorted children’s workbooks from my MIL (she’s a Hebrew teacher)
  • The weekly parsha (Torah portion)

Modern Hebrew:
My husband is originally from Israel. I’ve always wanted to learn Modern Hebrew but I’ve struggled to make time for it. Now that we have a young baby, I’m feeling a burst of motivation. It’s really important to us that he speak Hebrew fluently. My husband (mostly) speaks to him in Hebrew, and I want to understand everything! My fantasy is that some day I would be at a level where we could exclusively speak Hebrew in the home. Right now my level is very low. I have a vocab boost from my exposure to Biblical Hebrew in religious contexts and my knowledge of Arabic (see below).
Materials:
  • Fluent Forever pronunciation trainer (Anki)
  • Fluent Forever Hebrew word list
  • Pimsleur levels 1-3
  • Hebrewpod101

Arabic:
I studied MSA in college and spent a year living in Morocco during grad school. By the time I left, I felt very comfortable getting around in Moroccan Darija. That was in 2016, however, and I have barely used Arabic since. I would really like to get into the habit of doing a little something in Arabic on a regular basis so that I can retain whatever is left. In the future, when I have more time, I’d love to bring my level back up to what it once was. Since I’ll likely be spending significant time in Israel in the next couple of years, Levantine Arabic would be useful to learn.
Materials:
  • Arabic textbooks from college (Al-Kitaab 2 and 3.. can’t find the first volume)
  • Various vocabulary books (Media Arabic, Security Arabic, etc.)
Last edited by stressedyesty on Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 x
Pimsleur Hebrew I: 8 / 30
Hebrew Pronunciation Trainer: 368 / 591
Hebrew Duolingo Tree: 9 / 54

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Esty's Log [Hebrew, Arabic]

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 am

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to reading about your progress! I'm working on the same suite of languages, albeit in a different order. I'm currently working on Modern Standard Arabic but I've studied both Modern and Biblical Hebrew. I possess a very basic level of Hebrew and I do read some Hebrew books to my daughter (one of her favorites is a Hebrew translation of Goodnight, Moon), but I'm hoping to ultimately reach a fluent level of Modern Hebrew to help expose my daughter to a higher level of the language. My parents are both fluent.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 am

Deinonysus wrote:Best of luck and I'm looking forward to reading about your progress! I'm working on the same suite of languages, albeit in a different order. I'm currently working on Modern Standard Arabic but I've studied both Modern and Biblical Hebrew. I possess a very basic level of Hebrew and I do read some Hebrew books to my daughter (one of her favorites is a Hebrew translation of Goodnight, Moon), but I'm hoping to ultimately reach a fluent level of Modern Hebrew to help expose my daughter to a higher level of the language. My parents are both fluent.

So nice to meet someone studying the same languages and with similar goals! We have the same book for our son. :D I'm looking forward to following along with your log too.
2 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Catching up on what I've done in the last three weeks. I've only focused on Modern Hebrew this month.

Sep 27-Oct 3
-Pimsleur I, lesson 1: 30 mins
-Anki flashcard reviews: 16 mins
Total: .75 hours

Oct 4-10
-Pimsleur I, lessons 2-6: 2.5 hours
-Anki flashcard reviews: 2.75 hours
Total: 5.25 hours

Oct 11-17
-Pimsleur I, lesson 7: 30 mins
-Anki flashcard reviews: 45 mins
-Duolingo: 1.5 hours
Total: 2.75 hours

Oct total so far: 8.75 hours
3 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Well, things got busy and Hebrew was pushed to the back burner. I have done no studying at all so far in the month of November and the end of October was nearly as unimpressive. Time to get back on track.

October 18-24
-Pimsleur I, lesson 8: 30 mins
-Anki flashcard reviews: 20 mins
-Duolingo: 1.5 hours
Total: 2.25 hours

October 25-31
-Clozemaster: 5 mins
-Duolingo: 15 mins
Total: 20 mins

Oct total: 11.4 hours
3 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Sun May 14, 2023 11:37 am

It's been way too long. Big life changes since my last post a year and a half ago: we moved to Israel in December and I had another baby two months ago. How is my Hebrew? Honestly not much better than it was the last time I checked in! I'm hoping to start ulpan three days a week at the end of the month and I'd like to start studying on my own again as well. The complicating factor is that I injured myself and had hand surgery a few weeks ago. No time like the present, though.
8 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Mon May 29, 2023 6:53 am

Alright, so I'm back into it.. sort of. Turns out that it's very hard to make the time to study with a newborn. Because of my hand injury / surgery I have people coming to the house to help out with the baby, which has been really nice but also makes it hard to study. Even when the baby naps, someone else is often here, so I have no privacy.

May 22-28
-Handwriting practice: 15 minutes
-Anki flashcard reviews: 1 hour
-Duolingo: 15 minutes
Total: 1.5 hours
7 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 29, 2023 7:29 am

You're a hero! Studying on top of bieng a primary caregiver to your very young child, that's not obvious. Your hand will heal (but until then will be annoying), and you seem very well motivated for the rest! Looks like the beginning of a fascinating language learning adventure! I am looking forward to reading of your progress!
3 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:15 pm

Thanks, Cavesa! Nice chizzuk (encouragement) to come back to.

I'm starting to get into the swing of it. I've been intrigued by Refold recently, so I'm going to start incorporating some immersion via YouTube to work on my listening skills. I'm still focusing mostly on building basic vocabulary. I'm making some cards for myself based on the 625 word list from Fluent Forever. I find that making the cards is helping them stick better than using premade decks. On Thursday I'll go visit an ulpan in our neighborhood to see about starting classes. For how little my total time was this week, I still feel pretty productive.

May 29 - June 4
-Anki flashcard reviews: 30 minutes
-Anki, making flashcards: 20 mins
-Duolingo: 30 minutes
-YouTube immersion: 10 minutes
Total: 1.5 hours
May total: 3 hours
Last edited by stressedyesty on Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

stressedyesty

Postby stressedyesty » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:45 am

Chugging along here. I think I'm going to start ulpan online at the end of the month. I would have preferred in person, but they haven't been able to find enough people for my level yet. It's a big time commitment, and I don't want to start in person too close to when I go back to work at the beginning of next month.

June 5 - 11
-Anki, pronunciation trainer: 30 mins
-Anki flashcard reviews: 30 minutes
-Anki, making flashcards: 20 mins
-Duolingo: 50 minutes
Total: 2.1 hours
3 x

Return to “Language logs”