Love and Portuguese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Love and Portuguese

Postby lingua » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:52 am

You might consider https://www.youtube.com/c/Portugueselab which is European Portuguese.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (0)

12 Nov 2021

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:42 pm

Language study itself hasn’t gone far but we’ve been talking a lot about the culture and politics there, things like this. Which is good because I’m clueless and hardly know where to start.

He is wanting to live in Brazil with the other half of his family, so has no preference which type I learn. But i know he is very serious and dedicated, so I believe he is fully committed to Brazil, and apparently mostly grew up there.

Sometimes when we talk I misunderstand what he means :oops:

Gonna wirk on pronunciation more when I get off work.
2 x
Please ignore my English, elsewise be kind!

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: 12 Nov 2021

Postby iguanamon » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:22 am

SophiaMerlin_II wrote:...He is wanting to live in Brazil with the other half of his family, so has no preference which type I learn. But i know he is very serious and dedicated, so I believe he is fully committed to Brazil, and apparently mostly grew up there. ...

In that case, there are a ton of resources available. I used the DLI Portuguese Basic Course. It's free and legal. I consider it to be the best and most thorough course available for any language that I have ever used. I also used Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese- all 3 levels. I highly recommend using both. Check your library for a copy of Pimsleur. If they don't have it, ask for an inter-library loan. You can buy Pimsleur through Audible.com too.
5 x

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Re: 12 Nov 2021

Postby AllSubNoDub » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:34 pm

iguanamon wrote:
SophiaMerlin_II wrote:...He is wanting to live in Brazil with the other half of his family, so has no preference which type I learn. But i know he is very serious and dedicated, so I believe he is fully committed to Brazil, and apparently mostly grew up there. ...

In that case, there are a ton of resources available. I used the DLI Portuguese Basic Course. It's free and legal. I consider it to be the best and most thorough course available for any language that I have ever used. I also used Pimsleur Brazilian Portuguese- all 3 levels. I highly recommend using both. Check your library for a copy of Pimsleur. If they don't have it, ask for an inter-library loan. You can buy Pimsleur through Audible.com too.

It's much cheaper just to do the subscription through http://www.pimsleur.com than through Audible (unless I'm missing something, and I have Audible Premium Plus). Pimsleur's subscription plan is such a great idea for people who want to learn multiple languages or dialects, $20.95/month for unlimited access to all content in all 51 languages/dialects if I'm not mistaken (including Brazilian and Continental Portuguese).
4 x

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:43 am

Easy Languages, which has street interviews in multiple languages, also has Continental Portuguese and (a lot more, no surprise) Brazilian Portuguese. So it may be a good idea to work to understand Continental Portuguese, even if it's not the dialect you adopt for speaking.

I don't see them talked about much here, but it's a really great resource. There's nothing "easy" about them really - they're unscripted interviews with real people speaking at a natural speed - but the topics are generally every day topics and everything has L2 and English subtitles (which makes it "easy" I guess). The hosts do tend to speak a bit more clearly during the intros. Some of their bigger languages get their own channels, e.g. Catalan of all languages.
4 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt

16 Nov 2021

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:12 pm

The past days I've mostly been talking to him about what Brazil is like, the history there, prices, etc. Apparently yesterday was a national holiday in Brazil.

• Finally installed Portuguese IME. The only annoying part is the "?" being missing :lol:
  • Guerra e Paz came in the mail. I didn't realize I bought an adaptation, but maybe that's better. About 260 pages. Read the translator/adaptors notes. Apparently to save space they cut out all my favorite parts of the book :lol: I felt I understood about half of what I read. In the sense that most sentences were a bit fuzzy in general, but a few paragraphs I was not sure what was happening.
  • Spent about 30 minutes going over vowel sounds again. It's really pretty rough. I'm also still a bit confused about the way the accent marks work.
  • Listened to am AnCap video in Portuguese, about 20 minutes. It's starting to sound a little more "normal". I was able to pick out a few words, mostly Spanish cognates. The s->sh visual-to-verbal thing is starting to make sense, in the sense that I understand I'm hearing an "s" even though the sound seems like "sh" to me.
  • Realized that -trix, -triz, -ess are probably the same thing. Historically I mean. -trix/-triz are obvious.
3 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Re: 16 Nov 2021

Postby SpanishInput » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:46 pm

SophiaMerlin_II wrote:[*] Finally installed Portuguese IME. The only annoying part is the "?" being missing :lol:

Hi, Sophia. If you're in Windows and you installed the Portugal layout, ? is here:
Portuguese Sticker Map.pdf - Foxit Reader 2021-11-16 18.40.03.png

If you installed the Brazilian ABNT layout, ? is here:
Portuguese (Brazilian ABNT) [KBDBR.DLL 00000416 Portuguese (Brazil)] - KbdEdit Premium 2021-11-16 18.41.32.png

If you'd rather not having to blindly guess where all the symbols are, I'd suggest you give this keyboard layout a try:
https://www.spanishinput.com/keyboard.html
I created it for fellow language learners who have US/UK keyboards.

BTW, Fluent Forever's videos are the best I've seen for learning the sounds of a new language. I used them when I was learning to pronounce Mandarin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt

17 Nov 2021

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:09 am

Nothing fancy to report--

• 17 minutes of audio (AnCap Videos on YT)
  • 12 minutes of reading (fumbling through about 3 pages)
  • Talked about favelas, narcos, and Brazilian prisons

As far as reading goes, I'm pulled ahead only by my knowledge of the book, this part of which I have memorized for paragraphs at a time. Some parts are more transparent than others.

I think that the fact that my Spanish is so weak is more of a help than if it were stronger, because there's no real interference other than accent, which I need so much work on. I'm starting to hear the nasalized vowels mentally, and am working to correct the s->sh, but a lot of the other pronunciation facts slip me by mentally still. I find myself using my Spanish accent for them, and that's not great.

So tomorrow I'm going to make more of a push for pronunciation.
2 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

He sent me a song today :D It's so cute. I can understand about half of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QW0i1U4u0KE&ab_channel=abandamaisbonitadacidade

• Listened to music ~30min
  • Reading about 20 minutes: Guerra e Paz I.2,

Which is to say, I didn't do much. Off day. We all have them. Just gotta keep going.
1 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt

20 Nov 2021

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:33 am

Today I:

• Anki
  • 3 Portuguese AnCap Videos (30 minutes)
  • Translate one Meme
  • Guerra e Paz I-3

Started a Twitter Acct to help me remember what I have and haven't done in a day since I have a biphasic sleep schedule due to work.

@love_and_port
1 x

Return to “Language logs”