Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Re: Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:22 pm

Finished ANIMAL FARM in Bangla. It was probably the hardest thing I've read in Bangla actually. I did the full L-R method for the first half the book and then did just 3 reps for the second half. I want to keep reading novels, but my wife took a language coaching class and has been encouraging me to work on content that is 95% comprehensible, which would stop me from reading most novels.

I think I am going to tackle Harry Potter next anyway just because reading novels fun, but start focusing on more comprehensible content and the 90-95% goal instead of the 80% I was targeting before.

I am also drowning in Parsing Greek. Spending 30min to an hour staring a case ending charts and still making a boatload of mistakes can be frustrating. Doing some poking around to see if I can find more efficient ways to learn this.
3 x
Bangla Pages: 8382
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:58 pm

Starting to work on Bangla dictation and spelling every day, and trying to watch an episode of Sisimpur (Bangla Sesame Street) which is 95-99% comprehensible. I will tackle Harry Potter in Bangla as I can. Also working slowly through a word frequency list in Anki.

For Greek, I am using a combination of memnonics and Anki to memorize paradigms, working through some Anki decks, and a parsing app. I'm going to stay here until I am comfortable enough with the paradigms I know to move on to new ones. Also trying to read one chapter of the NT per day along with audio.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:15 pm

Still haven't started Harry Potter. I'd like to be able to spend an uninterrupted hour at it to start. Still working on Bangla vocab in Anki. It is strange how much easier it is to learn Bangla vocab, even difficult words, compared to Greek vocab where I am still a novice/beginner.

Changing my strategy for Greek Vocab. I found a website that gives frequency word lists by NT book. I'm importing those word lists into Anki so I have frequency decks by book. Instead of learning broadly by frequency, I'm going to pause that Anki deck and focus on learning all the vocab for the book of 1 John, while reading 1 John over and over. After I master that Anki deck, I will move on book by book through the NT.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:48 pm

Started HP:
IMG_0192.jpg

I have daily habits down for Bangla and Greek but my first child will be born this week, so all habits will be in limbo for a while. Hoping to keep up with Anki. The rest will be catch-as-catch-can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18782

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:58 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your first baby!
1 x
365 Day Challenge: 0 / 365
PFC - Daily Vocabulary Review: 0 / 365
PFC - Read 500 pages: 0 / 500
PFC - Watch 120 hours of video: 0 / 7200

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:31 pm

My son was born in March, and sleep has been suboptimal (though the cuddles have more than made up for it).
I am halfway through BASICS OF BIBLICAL GREEK while auditing a class. I finished Harry Potter in Bangla হ্যারি পটার reading at a normal pace without looking anything (hardly) up. I am planning to do a second pass highlighting vocab, and then move on to Tarzan of the Apes. I have a fair amount of travel coming up, but really hope to finish Tarzan before the summer.
4 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:19 am

All right, long time, no update.

I am back in Asia and getting over jet lag.

BANGLA

Contrary to my plans I did not read Tarzan of the Apes in Bangla as the audiobook I had found did not match the text. Moved on to Professor Shonku by Satyajit Ray, which has wonderful audiobook/dramas. I have to do some public speaking in Bangla in a couple of weeks, so I will mostly be working on that along with Shonku for the next couple of weeks.

At some point I am supposed to take advanced composition and advanced dictation exams, and I do plan to take the ACTFL at some point as well.

GREEK

I finished BASICS OF BIBLICAL GREEK by Mounce while auditing a class, then went through COMPLETE NEW TESTAMENT GREEK by Betts.
My review of Mounce's:

I am not a fan of the grammar-translation pedagogy—even for dead languages—and there are better textbooks that use that pedagogy than this one. That said, this Greek grammar is by far the most popular, and as a result there are an enormous wealth of resources keyed to and for it. There are free audio lectures and classes, free worksheets and flash cards, free parsing exercises and quizzes, and much much more. There are so many free resources attached to Mounce’s text that you don’t even need the text itself. I would recommend this grammar for this reason alone. I am still working through flash cards, exercises, and paradigm memorization in conjunction with pursuing other language learning methodologies, but am finished with this text even if I will continue to use the resources attached to it.

My review of Betts's

For $3.99 as a kindle book this is by far the cheapest NT Greek grammar I’ve come across. Dr. Betts wanted to teach from a grammar that only used examples and exercises directly from the New Testament text. This is admirable, and I thought his examples and exercises were great. This is also a fine overview of the grammar from a grammar-translation pedagogy perspective. That said, as a TEACH YOURSELF book this grammar fails. It would take a highly motivated student many repetitions of the material to use this book to teach themselves. Betts recommends this as well as parsing every word in the reading exercises. I’m not sure why this was published as a TEACH YOURSELF book. It seems meant to be a classroom text with the lectures functioning as explanation and the book as a reference and workbook. As a classroom text or a reference and workbook this text is fine or even good.

I made an Anki deck out of Betts's exercises and am enjoying going through them as lexical chunks.

I hope to read and post here more often, but we will see. I just moved back to Asia and will be moving to a new city in the next month. Hanging out around here keeps me motivated and gives me new ideas to try.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:51 am

Jet Lag Day 4
The ten hour time difference means I have been going to bed at 8pm, then baby wakes us up at 1:30Am, and I haven't been able to go back to sleep after that. I stay in bed and listen to audiobooks.

I have a lunch invite that will be in Bangla.

Worked through my daily Anki which includes Bangla vocab, Greek Vocab, Greek Parsing, Greek Grammar, and Greek Sentences. Also rushed through rounds on Greek Memrise courses.

Planning to move on from the Memrise courses to working through a REBOOT YOUR GREEK book which has 15-30min daily exercises/reading. My Greek goals are not just reading and parsing ability, but also the ability to pass exams if/when I take classes for credit, which means being able to reproduce paradigms on paper.

Using the Listening-Method to on the Professor Shonku stories which have excellent radio dramas. Today I am on "Professor Shonku and the Egyptian Terror."
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:29 am

Jet Lag Day 5
Went to bed at 9:30pm woke up at 3:30am. Progress.

Was in an Uber yesterday and the driver was furious with Joe Biden for starting the war in Ukraine and threatening Putin. He also said that Ukraine's president was a villain. I had to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and weave through that conversation. He also took a moment to proselytize hard for Islam and following Md. I caught myself unable to say some things that would have been easy to say 6 months ago and forgetting some common words. I could blame the jet lag, but its clear that my conversational Bangla is rusty. I can read and comprehend better than ever, and my vocabulary recognition is better than ever, but my retrieval needs some dust shaken off. Speaking exercises here we come.

Got Anki and Memrise done. Going to read a few chapters in the Bangla Gospel of Luke with audio at 1.5x. I'll do a 5 minute speaking exercise and read Shonku later in the day.
4 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:58 am

Jet Lag Day 6
Fell asleep before I wanted to around 8pm, woke up at 4am. Progress.

Greek is going well with going over lexical chunks and paradigms in Anki while finishing up a Memrise course linked to Mounce.

Bangla is going well, but I am getting fatigued with going over the same short story 6 times in a row with L-R method. Going to switch to the whole book per rep, just because I struggle to pay attention when I get bored. Hopefully spacing out the stories will keep me interested.
IMG_0609.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”