Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Re: Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:51 am

A favorite scene from a favorite film (though the book is even better) that's been on my mind as I read "to develop my command and knowledge of the [Bangla] language."
3 x
Bangla Pages: 8382
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:29 am

Today's work:

Did my Anki workout.
Read three chapters of the Bangla New Testament with audio at 1.5x
Shadowed a two minute Bangla audio for about 10 minutes.
I'm going to work on and practice content with a language partner for some public speaking in Bangla next week.
I hope to read a Shonku story in Bangla. We will see if I can get to it before I'm on baby duty.

Here's an update on my Koine Greek project (posted elsewhere, but hey its my log):

Next Steps 08/07/22
I worked through Mounce’s BASICS OF BIBLICAL GREEK with these lectures: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtWjBsIVZMZqldIL9BImbPEkkU4PQFpYK

You can borrow the textbook from the digital library here: https://archive.org/details/basicsofbiblical0000moun_h2k8

I worked through a Memrise course keyed to Mounce from start to finish: https://app.memrise.com/course/239361/mounces-greek-verb-paradigms/

I got a shared Anki deck of the vocab for Mounce with audio and worked through it everyday until I had all of the vocab for the book.

I also input several of the paradigms into Anki as flash cards.

After finishing Mounce, I read COMPLETE NEW TESTAMENT GREEK by Gavin Betts. I entered his exercises into Anki, and am working through them as lexical chunks everyday.

I am now trying to finish my work with Mounce by making sure I can fill out this worksheet from memory. Essentially I am treating this worksheet as the final exam. The goal is to be able to pass a Mounce-based placement test for Greek I or II. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HV8mIWj8kZBFk6kvHgeao7-F0NbkPYqI/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106193934034388967890&rtpof=true&sd=true

My plan is to fill out one page of the worksheet everyday, cycling back around until I can do it perfectly from memory.

I also did some translation work, translating all of 1 John, and part of the Gospel of John. This was a lot of fun, but time-consuming, and I am not really advanced enough to do a good job. I replaced that practice with the Betts exercises.

The book REBOOT YOUR GREEK was on a kindle sale, and I picked it up. It has useful exercises and lessons broken up into days, and I will work through that as I am able.

I purchased the PARSEGREEK app, and plan to take one quiz per day. It’s keyed to several different grammars. I will start out with the quizzes keyed to Mounce.

Future Plans
My plan after finishing Mounce is to pick up Rodney Decker’s introductory grammar and work through it for fuller coverage.

I also plan to input all of the sentences from this Free Graded Reader into Anki and work through them as I did Betts: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17pL12YHesAJtadEw5lN8Kbp2iLE3oelf/view?usp=sharing

I also hope to put the principle parts for the following verbs into Anki: https://www.motorera.com/greek/lessons/appendix1.html

After finishing this work, I will move on to intermediate Greek.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:13 am

It's an auspicious day. Today I begin "massaging" 100 hours of native-to-native discourse. It should look something like this:

Steps in a Conversation with a Mentor About a Native-to-Native Discourse
Step 1: Acquire a recording of a Native-to-Native Discourse
Step 2: Listen once through and see how much you (think you) understand
Step 3: Summarize to your mentor what you (thought you) understood.
Step 4: Record your mentor’s response to your summary
Step 5: Clarification step: go through original with mentor
Step 6: Be making the new-word recording as you go along.
Step 7: Watch for and note details you don’t understand because you don’t know something about life in the host world
Step 8: Expand on the points noted in Step 7
Step 9: (optional) Ask Grand/Mini-Tour questions, List-of-Life questions, experience questions, etc. from Phase 4.
Step 10: GP retells the discourse (at his/her current level of ability with mentor’s help).

And this:

Let’s assume a two-hour meeting. We offer the following suggested breakdown of activities
1. Beginning the meeting: Small talk—5 to 10 minutes
Spend from five to ten minutes just making small talk with your mentor. Growing participators grow in the context of specific relationships. (You grow into the life of an ethnolinguistic group by growing into the lives of individuals in it.) Find out what is important to your mentor today. Learn some things about her life that are new to you. Share something of interest about yourself.
2. Clarifying the recording—80 to 90 minutes
Note: The GP is keeping a running “word recording”. It is a separate sound file from the one that is being clarified and contains little conversations with the mentor about each new word. In addition, if the mentor is literate in the host language, or the GP is able to transcribe it correctly, it would be helpful in Phase 5 to have a written list of the new words in the order they occur in the word recording (and if possible giving the location of each in the sound recording).
a. In your own words, summarise the portion of the recording that you clarified yesterday (the technique of retelling by the GP, which you’ve been using since Phase 2).
b. Listen to a new segment—five to ten minutes of recorded speech, together with your mentor. Then go back to the beginning. In clarifying the recording, you will be
• asking the mentor to repeat phrases slowly and clearly that were too rapid and “sloppy” or “garbled” for a non-native listener at your level.
• discussing unknown words and adding them to your “word recording” (a recording just containing conversational discussions of new words with the mentor.
• asking for explanations of longer stretches that puzzle you for any reason (often you won’t know the reason you don’t understand at first)
• Using the technique of expanding, having the mentor talk in greater detail about something that is said or seen, especially using Phase 4 techniques which might include
o a descriptive question (grand tour or mini-tour)
o exploring “domains of life”
o Simply asking, “Tell me more about this!”
o asking your mentor to tell you about areas of life if you can’t understand something in the movie because it involves an area of host life you do not fully understand
• Possibly having your mentor give a summary paraphrase in simpler, clearer (native-to-non-native) language (the technique of retelling by the mentor).
3. Repeat this with additional segments
4. Supercharged talking activities 20 to 30 minutes
(Increasing our ability to understand normal native-to-native speech is a major goal of Phase 5. At the same time, we shouldn’t ignore the need to improve our ability to talk.)
Examples:
a. Take some illustrated magazines, such as National Geographic or other sources of pictures. Discuss the pictures with your mentor for fifteen or twenty minutes, trying to find holes in your speaking ability—activities, objects or situations in the picture that you cannot describe or cannot explain because of a lack of language ability.
b. Explain aspects of a topic in which you have special training and your mentor does not.
c. Discuss a topic on which you hold a firm opinion, supporting your point of view against opposing ones.
d. See APPENDIX ON TALKING ACTIVITIES for more examples of supercharged talking activities.
1.4 After your meeting:
Listen to the whole portion of the recording that you clarified in the meeting and to the word recordings. Do this soon afterward, such as the same evening. Also, listen to some recordings that were clarified previously, and previous word recordings. As you accumulate more and more clarified recordings of native-to-native discourses and word recordings in your listening library, listen to all of them periodically.

There's some jargon here, but most of it you can probably figure out. If not, just ask. The quotes are from the GPA Phase 5 Manual.
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:05 am

Today's work:

Anki (20 minutes):
Working through All NT words in Koine (10 new words until hard)
Exercise's from Bett's Greek Grammar into Anki (2 new sentences/paragraphs)
Working through Bangla Kitab word frequency scrape (3 new words)
Bangla Newspaper Archives word frequency scrape (1 new word)
Professor Shonku word frequency scrape (10 new words and a lot of suspended cards)

Mounce's Grammar Exam review (1 page, 10 minutes)

Bangla reading (20+ minutes)
Massage 1 hour of Bangla native-to-native discourse with Tutor (2 hours)
Review massage audio (90 minutes)

This will be my routine as much as possible. We have a move coming up, and I have baby duty after 12 noon and other work to do.

Essentially language and odds and ends work from 7-12pm. Then from 12-5pm baby duty (I can get in some audio listening while I'm with baby, and some tasks during baby's naps.)
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:34 am

Tutor is busy today, and I have an all day meeting tomorrow :?
That means no native-to-native discourse massaging until next week, and lots of reading today. I hope to get through two Shonku stories, and do some other reading.

Got to call the moving company. They seem pretty পাকা (ripe, finished, seasoned, professional), so I'm guessing I won't have to struggle with dialect over the phone, which unfortunately was the case with the last movers. I got a great deal, but struggled with their accents immensely and got shaken down for tips and tea-snack money several times. Happy to pay more for better service this time around.

I also saw one of the most impressive feats of physical strength and ability I've ever witnessed during that last move. A single man, less than 5'7" carried a refrigerator up six flights of stairs on his own.
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:58 am

Projects going on right now:

Various Anki Decks
Shadowing a 2-5 minute Bangla chunk daily
1 Page of the Mounce Basics of Biblical Greek Exam
1 Greek Parsing Quiz
Listen to yesterday's vocab recording (Bangla)
Meeting with Tutor to go over 100 hours of native-to-native discourse (Bangla)

As I can:

Reading শঙ্কু সমগ্র
L + R Method on ইমান ও আমল and ছিরন্তন কালাম
Reboot Your Greek

Things I'd like to do:
Daily Bangla dictation exercises by hand, followed by typing and spellchecking
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:04 am

Tutor is busy. This means I could do . . .

Anything . . .

Anything at all . . .

anything I wanted . . .

or . . .

I could do . . .

nothing . . .

nothing at all . . .

nothing . . .

I have some meetings, but I'd like to make progress on some reading. Already did my Anki and Greek for the day.
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:28 am

My tutor is coming, so I will be massaging another hour of Bangla TV. The show is about a corrupt police officer and has a very complicated plot with holes big enough to drive a truck through. Maybe they will fix them in the second season, but most Bangla series don't get a second season.

Projects I have going or would like to do:

Finish শঙ্কু সমগ্র
L-R চিরন্তন কালাম
L-R ইমান ও অমাল
Work on REBOOT YOUR GREEK one chapter per day
Finish the KM Word Frequency Anki Deck
Start a new Word Frequency Deck with শঙ্কু সমগ্র
Start a new Word Frequency Deck with চিরন্তন কালাম
Read Harry Potter 2 and 3 in Bangla
Back-Translate the KM
Finish reading the Greek NT
Make my way through the entire Greek NT Frequency Word Scrape with Glosses and Parsing
Dictation, composition, and spelling exercises for exam.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:39 am

Finished a Bangla series with my language partner. Moving on to a Richard the III/House of Cards type series that starts out with two guys stealing jackfruit in the village and ends with a political dynasty.

Why "massage" or clarify native-to-native discourse? Because native speakers speak differently to each other than they will to you unless you are pretty high level.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:14 am

So decided to return to my favorite Bangla TAQDEER instead of moving forward with the "House of Cards" type series. You are supposed to watch the content by yourself before you go over it with your language partner, and I just didn't have the time to watch it beforehand.

TAQDEER is great though. It's about a man who drives a freezer truck for corpses a লাশ বাহী. He uses the freezer truck to ship fish on the side. After finishing a job, he finds out that someone has put a strange corpse in his truck. He becomes involved in a complicated crime and conspiracy that goes to the very top . . .

Brilliant acting, some dark humor, and some touching moments.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”