Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Re: Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:50 pm

A new season of BYOMKESH is out!
One of the joys of language learning.
252890947_10109287603255563_6202453822790661686_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Bangla Pages: 8382
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:54 pm

If you haven't already, you should definitely read the Professor Shonku stories by Satyajit Ray.

Brilliant sci-fi, a kind of imagination and humour that I've not come across in other language - something that none of the well-known sci-fi authors can match.
3 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:47 pm

Monty wrote:If you haven't already, you should definitely read the Professor Shonku stories by Satyajit Ray.

Brilliant sci-fi, a kind of imagination and humour that I've not come across in other language - something that none of the well-known sci-fi authors can match.

I own it, and it's on my list! Going to be tackling some books in translation first, but eagerly looking forward to Shonku.
0 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:54 pm

Long time, no post. I have been on the road which is exhausting, but I am still keeping up with Greek and Bangla.

I finished a reread of the Musselmani Bangla INJIL SHARIF, and now will be digging into Orwell's ANIMAL FARM in Bangla. I'll be reading along with audio and doing the L-R method with the reps depending on comprehensibility. I am expecting this to be easier than FELUDA etc. but we will see. It should be short enough to do multiple reps with though.
IMG_0115 (1).jpg

As far as Koine Greek goes, I know 80% of the NT vocab now and am working through John's writing over and over. I'm also in the home stretch of Dobson's LEARN TO READ. I will pick up TEACH YOURSELF BIBLICAL GREEK after that.

I also have a friend who works for a Bangla newspaper. He gave me a frequency word scrape of every word that appears in their archive, and I will start working through that in Anki soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm

I finished Dobson's LEARN NEW TESTAMENT GREEK!

274254.jpg

This is the only “beginning grammar,” I’ve found that emphasises learning functional Greek before learning grammar, and for that I give it five stars. As a language learner whose primary (or first in order) goal is to learn to read the Greek New Testament devotionally and who prefers modern approaches to language learning, I am not enamoured with the grammar-translation pedagogy. This grammar was almost exactly what I wanted, keeping the first 35-40 of the 52 lessons focused on functional reading and inductive learning with little grammar instruction.

That said, the book is not perfect. There are numerous translation exercises, all of which have the answers in English right next to the Greek. Because of my preference for avoiding direct translation until much later, I focused on reading these passages and getting the “sense” of them rather than translating them into English. What’s more, I had a strict “thou shalt move on” policy, pushing myself to keep moving even though I hadn’t mastered the material. I combined this introductory grammar with reading the Greek NT along with audio and a flash card app (with audio) that taught me 80% of the NT vocab. As a result I can read with some comfort; however, I know little grammar and struggle to conjugate or produce the language properly.

I will now be moving on to auditing a more traditional New Testament Greek class and reading a more traditional grammar. I am very grateful for this book, which more than any other grammar I’ve seen is well suited to both inductive learning and self study.
5 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt

Postby Herodotean » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:37 pm

Finishing any introductory text for ancient Greek is an achievement. Congratulations!

Since you're interested in modern methods for ancient Greek, check out the Polis Institute and the Biblical Language Center (if you haven't already).
4 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks! Cool stuff, and some good resources.
0 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:29 pm

Herodotean wrote:Finishing any introductory text for ancient Greek is an achievement. Congratulations!

Since you're interested in modern methods for ancient Greek, check out the Polis Institute and the Biblical Language Center (if you haven't already).

Wow they have really excellent Erasmian recordings. These are the best in quality I've found! Dr. Louis Tyler's are really good, and he gives the whole NT audio files for download, so that will probably stay my main audio, but I will probably go through what Polis has uploaded as well.
0 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:32 pm

jammon39 wrote:
Herodotean wrote:Finishing any introductory text for ancient Greek is an achievement. Congratulations!

Wow they have really excellent Erasmian recordings. These are the best in quality I've found! Dr. Louis Tyler's are really good, and he gives the whole NT audio files for download, so that will probably stay my main audio, but I will probably go through what Polis has uploaded as well.

1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:43 pm

Today's language work:
Anki for Greek and Bangla
A short Bangla composition exercise.
IMG_0125.jpg

Read 3 chapters of Revelation in Greek with Audio.
Read 1 chapter of Animal Farm in Bangla 5x L-R method or as many of the 5 reps as I have time for.
Do one chapter in COMPLETE BIBLICAL GREEK (TEACH YOURSELF) by Gavin Betts if there's time.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”