Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Re: Jammon Log (Bangla, Spanish, Ancient Greek . . . who knows?)

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:13 am

Just wanted to pop in and write what I am working on.

I am rereading the ইঞ্জিল শরীফ and progressing in ফেলুদা সমগ্র ২. I read each novel from the collection in English first and then in Bangla with audio.

I am a few hours into Koine Greek and have about 200 reps of chunking in as well as skimming grammars and learning the alphabet.

My wife and I took a break from watching DESAPERECIDOS to watch SQUID GAME, but we will be returning to Spanish TV soon. I'm honestly glad SQUID GAME is over. It was a bit too rough and high-drama for me, and I kept trying to figure out Korean.
4 x
Bangla Pages: 8382
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:47 am

I'm still working on THE COMPLETE ADVENTURES OF FELUDA VOL 2, but I wanted to pop in and say that this is my favorite Feluda novel so far (even though I predicted the twist).

17902103.jpg

6827576.jpg

And here's the public radio audiobook rendition featuring Sabyasachi Chakrabarty (who played Feluda in Sandip Ray's popular films) as the voice of Feluda.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:02 am

Finished "Chunking" 1 John 1. That's 100 reps of each verse. I am now moving on to 1 John 2, which has 29 verses instead of 10. This could take close to a month.
3 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 am

It has been a busy week. It has been a little while since I watched any Spanish TV, but I am reading Bangla detective novels pretty much daily and spending a couple of hours a day in Koine Greek: 1 hour chunking and then 1 hour looking at a whole book/chapter and/or working through Dobson's grammar. Dobson's grammar is really great and precisely what I wanted, something that works as a very gradual reader repeating the same words in context until you acquire them without word lists or memorization. Of course the chunking helps.

Also, here is my favorite Itchy Feet comic:
favoriteitchyfet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:28 am

Back in the USA. Jet-lagged, but got a solid 8 hours in last night and woke up at the right time, so let's see how it goes.

Now that I am in the US, I am updating my signature with some Bangla goals to keep sharp and prepare for a Dictation and Composition exam I will be taking in a few months.

25 Dictation Exercises
25 Composition Exercises
Take Dictation/Compositon Exam

After Exam
50 short speaking exercises (record myself talking/storytelling for 5 min. Listen to the recording. Look up/work on phrases or words where I got stuck. Repeat the same exercise the following days until that content is easy. Tell a new 5 min story etc.)

Last night I had a very emotional dream in Bangla, woke up crying.
1 x

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:58 am

You should focus more on the Bangla of West Bengal (part of India). All the books you are reading are from West Bengal anyway (Satyajit Ray, Sabyasachi, etc).

West Bengal has a truly incredible literary heritage and tradition that Bangladesh will never be able to match. If you want more teen fiction, there are Shirshendu, Sunil Ganguly, Samaresh Basu, Narayan Ganguly with his famous Tenida. Then there are Shibram, Tarapada Roy, Sanjib Chatterjee for humour. The list is simply endless. Then there is Anandamela, the teen magazine with a history of over 40 years, serious literary magazines like Desh, and so on and so forth.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Also, the Bangla of West Bengal is the standard version while Bangladesh is full of dialects. It's like learning standard German vs Swiss German. Pretty much all Bangladeshis would understand what a random person from West Bengal says (because it's the form of Bengali used in TV and radio), but most Bengalis from West Bengal would struggle with east-Bengali dialects (especially the further eastern dialects from places close to Burma, which might as well be a different language altogether), unless they are heritage speakers.
2 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Monty wrote:You should focus more on the Bangla of West Bengal (part of India). All the books you are reading are from West Bengal anyway (Satyajit Ray, Sabyasachi, etc).

West Bengal has a truly incredible literary heritage and tradition that Bangladesh will never be able to match. If you want more teen fiction, there are Shirshendu, Sunil Ganguly, Samaresh Basu, Narayan Ganguly with his famous Tenida. Then there are Shibram, Tarapada Roy, Sanjib Chatterjee for humour. The list is simply endless. Then there is Anandamela, the teen magazine with a history of over 40 years, serious literary magazines like Desh, and so on and so forth.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Also, the Bangla of West Bengal is the standard version while Bangladesh is full of dialects. It's like learning standard German vs Swiss German. Pretty much all Bangladeshis would understand what a random person from West Bengal says (because it's the form of Bengali used in TV and radio), but most Bengalis from West Bengal would struggle with east-Bengali dialects (especially the further eastern dialects from places close to Burma, which might as well be a different language altogether), unless they are heritage speakers.

Thanks Monty. Yes, I agree West Bengal has a deeper literary tradition. I live and work in Bangladesh though (for the last two years), so I am invested in Bangladeshi literature and learning Bangladeshi dialects more than West Bengal. At this point I am dipping in all over the place though but prioritizing material I can find with matching audiobooks and English translation.

You are absolutely right, I think most linguists consider Sylheti and Chittagonian different languages at this point, and I won't be focusing on them. I speak standard Bangla and while I'm sure someone from West Bengal could tell that I learned in Bangladesh, I think they would understand me. When I visit villages though I really want to be able to communicate more.

আপনি কি বাংলা বলতে পারেন?
3 x

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:34 pm

jammon39 wrote:আপনি কি বাংলা বলতে পারেন?

আমি কলকাতার বাঙালী। আমার বাবা-মা পূর্ববঙ্গের লোক, দেশ ভাগ হওয়ার সময় পশ্চিমবঙ্গে চলে আসে। আমার জন্ম কলকাতায়। আপনি কোথা থেকে?
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:40 pm

Monty wrote:
jammon39 wrote:আপনি কি বাংলা বলতে পারেন?

আমি কলকাতার বাঙালী। আমার বাবা-মা পূর্ববঙ্গের লোক, দেশ ভাগ হওয়ার সময় পশ্চিমবঙ্গে চলে আসে। আমার জন্ম কলকাতায়। আপনি কোথা থেকে?

আমি USA-এর লোক কিন্তু আমি ঢাকায় দুই বছরের জন্য থকাতেন। আমি সুধু এখন্নও USAতে ফিরে এসেছি এবং আট মাস পর বাংলাদেশে ফিরে যাব।
1 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Finished! This volume features the best of Feluda's adventures, but suffers from concept and genre fatigue. Feluda stories are formulaic and often cycle through the same topics. Ray's stories about the paranormal and supernatural are favorites, and I find it interesting that his later stories feature less "debunking" than the earlier ones. His later stories also feature more about Christianity. It would be interesting to read more about Ray's spirituality. I find Brahmoism interesting, primarily because of Tagore's devotional work. But Brahmos though a very small religion have an immense influence on Bengali literature.
signal-2021-11-03-145406.jpeg

Almost at 50 hours in on Koine Greek, and staying with my in-laws so hearing Spanish everyday. Every time I try to speak Spanish Bangla comes out though. I'm not putting too much pressure on myself when it comes to Spanish though. Learning Koine is a long time dream of mine, and I need to get significant progress in before my first child is born and my time and attention goes to them ;),
6 x

Return to “Language logs”