Italian, French, Polish, and no more

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Italian, French, Polish, and no more

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:47 pm

I found 56 titles by the author Léo Malet by entering the name of the series in the search field on the main page.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:21 pm

French
1. Le Mystère de la chambre jaune - Gaston Leurox - 209 pag

So boring. I am happy to be done. Will power got me through.

Last 15 % became a little more interesting but finding myself reading between Agatha Christi and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was not fun at all- at least for me. Of course the absolute passé all the time gave some pain. The reading vocabulary was pretty easy as it seems that I am in good shape about. Now how to get there with listening skills, is it really worthy the effort?

I had a bad experience with a French Italki tutor this week. Maybe I should not call it a bad experience but an expected one. I wanted to read aloud ,with a tutor, Le petit prince to improve my French pronunciation, but the tutor wanted to chi-chat. Of course, we did. It bothered me that I didn't meet my objective, though I learned that I can still talk at B1 level -I am able to express whatever I want to and been understood. So I guess I don't need assistance about. It seems that reviewing of Assimil is doing a good job in this regard. I am currently in lesson 68. I do 3 lessons/day. Unclear of what I will do next. Maybe Assimil Using French or FSI Basic French again. I want to invest 30 min/day using my mouth with simple sentences.

I dropped watching Un Village Francais with subtitles. Well, I didn't have a choice since Season II doesn't have subtitles. I understood most of it, though I missed some heavy dialogues here and there. But I am patient, I will get there eventually.

Italian
Well and alive. Grazie.

Polish
Just a few Anki Cards. I guess Polish is becoming dormant. I cannot see myself speaking Polish but 1-2 week/year. I guess we cannot do all.
5 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:06 am

It's pretty annoying that the italki tutor didn't do what you wanted even though you're paying for it! I assume you paid?

Have you tried watching this 1930 adaptation of Le Mystère de la chambre jaune? It's like early Hitchcock, but in French. :lol:
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Le Baron wrote:It's pretty annoying that the italki tutor didn't do what you wanted even though you're paying for it! I assume you paid?

Have you tried watching this 1930 adaptation of Le Mystère de la chambre jaune? It's like early Hitchcock, but in French. :lol:

Yes, I paid... I felt a little down with the experience. Though I tend to see the other side of the coin or to find the silver liner when things get difficult. She did me, without knowing, a favor: Assimil is good enough to review the pronunciation. So I let it go.

Now that I should be finishing the Assimil experiment, I am thinking about doing AGAIN, FSI French Basic. Daily repetitions of French sentences will keep the pronunciation in check. I always love the Audio learning methods. I know it is hard work, but I believe it is very effective.

No way! I really disliked that little book. I was full of joy when it was over...
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Mon May 02, 2022 2:16 am

oops! I placed this post on the wrong place. So I am posting again here.
---------------------
I have been out from here for a while. Time to update.

Italian - Excellent. Now I can read, write, listen, and speak without much thinking. Keep doing Anki, watching films, reading books and of course following the news with La Repubblica.

French - I began to watch a serial in French. Well... I alternate the same serial with Italian. I am a little bothered with this language, because I found that I lost both listening and conversational skills while focusing on Italian. I believe that Italian has replaced French as my third strong language. I am trying to find a way to bring it back to life. I will start taking italki conversation lessons. I am considering another pass through FSI Basic French.

I find very difficult to keep both French and Italian at high level. That is a real puzzle.

Polish - In a pit. I can understand a lot but my skills are within a black hole. I want to fix French before doing the same with Polish. I want both language with no more/less than A2 speaking skill levels. That is something to reflect about.

Anki is not taking much time anymore. About 20-30 min/day. I added a new Active Polish Deck. I think that after 6+ months of French conversations, I might do it the same for Polish. Wife says not to bother much with the Polish language. Her family better learn English the way things are in Poland. My trips to Europe are suspended. This is not a good time to travel abroad with Covid and the other thing... What a life!
6 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri May 20, 2022 12:02 am

Besides 30-40 min/day with Anki for Italian, French, and Polish, my current language schedule:

Italian
Read news: La Republica – 20 min/ days
Book: 1 book/month ~ 30 min/day
Conversation by Italki – 2 hours/ month
Film: 1 hour/day

French
FSI basic French: Yeah. I am doing it again. I liked it. Am I masochist?! – 40 min/day
Read: 30 min/day
Conversation by Italki = 2 hours/month
Youtube: Random one on politics, philosophy, history, etc. A lot of fun.
Films: 1 hour/day

Overall = 240 min/day = 4 hours…. of foreign language activities.

That’s a lot. However, the only real work is FSI.
The rest is just fun, fun fun. I read, listen, and watch what gives me enjoyment. Ah the joy of B2!
I began another round of FSI 'cause after 2 years without doing anything serious with French I need to pick it up
as well that I find the French cultural life very interesting.
I trust FSI and Italki will do the job. It feels odd to read/listen to the news while having poor speaking fluency.
I want to change that!
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri May 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Just finished,

"Viens Avec moi loin d'ici" of V. Serfaty.

It is a very easy and simplistic polar. I didn't learn much from it. It's the first volume of many that surely I won't read. It's part of the kindle unlimited. . I might be reconsider dropping that service becuase: "If I read about 150 words/min, with a book of 300 pages -300 words/page-, I will invest 300*300/150= 10 reading hours. That is about 2 weeks. That's a lot of time. Is it really worthy? One might as well read something really interesting and well done. Not because something is free doit être lu." Quindi, ho iniziato a comprare i libri and leggere in carta. Il faut farlo per l'italiano e il francese.!!! ja jaja.. Que parágrafo más loco! Escrito en cuatro idiomas a la vez... ja jajaja... Divento pazzo!

Je pense rentrer à la grammaire française.
Non encore, mai ...
D'abord, il faut finir avec il FSI Basic French.
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri May 27, 2022 9:22 pm

lusan wrote:Just finished,

It is a very easy and simplistic polar. I didn't learn much from it. It's the first volume of many that surely I won't read. It's part of the kindle unlimited. . I might be reconsider dropping that service becuase: "If I read about 150 words/min, with a book of 300 pages -300 words/page-, I will invest 300*300/150= 10 reading hours. That is about 2 weeks. That's a lot of time. Is it really worthy? One might as well read something really interesting and well done. Not because something is free doit être lu." Quindi, ho iniziato a comprare i libri and leggere in carta. Il faut farlo per l'italiano e il francese.!!! ja jaja.. Que parágrafo más loco! Escrito en cuatro idiomas a la vez... ja jajaja... Divento pazzo!

Je pense rentrer à la grammaire française.
Non encore, mai ...
Are you looking for a book? I've recently read Suite Française, I liked it. For an eBook, Stefan Zweig's 24 hours in the life of a woman was good, I think there might be audio on YT.
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sun May 29, 2022 4:14 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
lusan wrote:Just finished,

It is a very easy and simplistic polar. ....................
Non encore, mai ...
Are you looking for a book? I've recently read Suite Française, I liked it. For an eBook, Stefan Zweig's 24 hours in the life of a woman was good, I think there might be audio on YT.

Merci, beaucoup. Je vais le chercher.
3 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:29 am

Ho finito un altro libro: Il Cerchio del Lupo. Il autore è Michael Connelly e stato traduto per Stefano Tettamanti.

Lo ho trovato interesante con uno stylo molto americano che lo face un po' semplice. Ma la traduccione è buona e sono contento con averlo letto.. Adesso è il tempo de laborare con un libro in francese.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”