Italian, French, Polish, and no more

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Italian, French, Polish, and no more

Postby lusan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm

I love to keep notes to satisfy the need of preserving the knowledge obtained with the many hours toiling with 3 languages. -what a long sentence! I hate it. For me, short is always sweeter.

Polish
I am on maintenance mode by listening to Glossika 3000 sentence. Maybe I will add a bunch of new listening cards later next year. I use this language only when wife relatives phone home. I have no much need of going further than talking about the weather and other pleasantries. Maybe I create a conversations routine to memorize .

French
Originally I wanted only to learn to read and to listen to the news. I fulfilled these goals last year. When I began Italian I discovered quickly a strong resistance from whatever I knew with French and Polish; Spanish and English were not causing any problems. I needed to make a hard stop and focus completely on Italian or quit.

Currently my French goals have not changed: Read and listening lectures/news, though I have no time available for such French activities at the time. I think that I am not deep enough yet into Italian to return to French. Maybe later I will start reading and listening.
For French I am working again through 9000 sentences Anki Cards. I hope that they will be sufficient to hold the tent for a while.

Italian
Working very hard on many fronts.

My goals:
Reading: Extensive at 98 % efficiency with novels and 99+ with non-fiction. That is, 2% or 1 % unknown words through the whole book.
Listening: Films and movies at 90 % efficiency. That is, understanding and following the film, though at time I might miss some part of long conversation. I believe that with time I will get better. Of course, I watch films without any time of subtitles.

Writing: I realized recently that I love writing in Italian. So I write 10 sentences/pay and I ask my italki tutor to review them. I use our conversation to identify grammar weaknesses. I create active Anki cards to work on after our weekly conversation.

Speaking: B1+ level. I don’t see any reason to improve much, since I doubt that I will have much need of speaking Italian. I like the sound of the language so I am activating the language for the pleasure of it. I would like to have Italian as my third important language. Sorry for
French.

Serials:
Heroes – Finished with 5 seasons
The expanse – On going

Books:
La casa delle voci - Donato Carrisi
Io non ho più paura - Niccolo P.
Miserere - J-C Grance - On going

I will be reading both translate and native Italian books. After all, I am used to read World literature translated to either Spanish or English. So I wonder if I will get to read again War and Peace and 100 años de Soledad but this time in Italian. It would be funny. I read them so many years ago that I'd bet that they would be teaching one or two things.

Grammar:
Italian Demystified – On going.
Last edited by lusan on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Italian, French and Polish and no more

Postby IronMike » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:25 am

lusan wrote:Italian
Serials:
The expanse – On going

Where are you watching Heroes and The Expanse?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Italian, French and Polish and no more

Postby lusan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:07 am

IronMike wrote:
lusan wrote:Italian
Serials:
The expanse – On going

Where are you watching Heroes and The Expanse?

I bought Heroes at Amazon.it

I have an vpn that does not work for Neflix Italy. -Maybe I don't know how to do it. In my despair I google around and I learned that a good source of italian films is Amazon Prime. I happens that I have it. I love it. I've been watching Expanse since yesterday - 2 episodes/day. I look forward to the 5 or so season and move on from there. I was surprised to hear some of the same voices that did Heroes' dubbing.
3 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Italian, French, Polish, and no more

Postby lusan » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:43 pm

End of year Review

French Frozen till TBD. When am I coming back? Have no idea. Probably after I meet consolidating Italian learning. When I do, I will just read and listen. No need to talk. Maintenance mode.

Anki deck
Listening sentences – 8,500 cards – 90% known

Polish
Frozen. Only need this language to exchange greeting with my relatives in Poland. Probably I will read aloud any basic basic book prior to visiting the country. Maintenance mode.

Anki deck
Glossika 3000 cards – 83 % known.
Listening: Dubbed films - > 98 %
Native films: > 80 %. Too many unfamiliar accent that I need to get used to.
Podcast, lectures, news: > 98 %

Writing: 600 + sentences and corrected. I thought about stopping but I reminded myself that I use writing as speaking surrogate.
Speaking: 16 Italki lessons. I am happy with the teacher. I guess I can speak at about B1 level.

Anki Mature Cards
Listening Sentences : L2>L1 – 2,537 - 90 %
Read Vocabulary: L2> L1 – 678 – 88 %
Active Vocabulary: L2>L1, L1>L2 – 5,682 – 92 %
Active Expressions: L1>L2 - 682 – 85 %

Books: 24 Read Books > 5000 pages
I think I should be able to read about 2 book/months. I reduced my Italian reading because I began to read English Fiction. I always wanted to read the 14 volumes of Wheel of Time. I am in volume 6!
I read at 98 % efficiency, though I check in the dictionary any word I don't understand to see if I want to dump it into Anki.

Grammar
1. New Italian Grammar in practice by Susanna Nocchi – Done
2. Italian Demystified by Marcel Danesi – Done.
3. Italian Grammar Drills – Paola Nani-Tate – On going
4. Grammatica Avanzata della Lingua Italiana – Susanna Nocchi. – Planned

Dubbed Serials
1. Grimm – 85 Episodes – Done.
2. Heroes – 4 Seasons - Done
3. The expanse - All seasons - Done
4. A bunch of Sbirro dubbed serials at Neflix. -…..AND OVER. No more Dubbed Serial – Too easy. I moved to native materials from RAI and Youtube.

Just watched a great native serial RAI, Un Professore. – Really crazy to realize that spoken Italian could so fast and mixed with dialects/regional accents. The living language is really something. I am making a collection of very old movies that I find in Youtubes to watched slowly during the coming months.

I subscribed to La Repubblica. So I am reading a little of Italian news every day.
Clearly, I could claim che me la cavo con il italiano.

For these languages, Anki review takes currently 50 min during una passeggiata nel parco
5 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:31 am

I know what you mean about dubbed series being easy while native series are still challenging. I have the same issue.

There are 2 Italian originals on Netflix that are available in the US. I'm not sure if you've watched either of them-

1) The Trial (Il Processo). From what I can tell, it seems to sort of be like Twin Peaks/The Killing in that it's a murder mystery that opens with the death of a teenage girl and as we slowly learn more about her life, not all is as it seems. I can't figure out why the state lawyer/DA seems to be acting as the main detective instead of the police. They could have a plumber investigating the death for all I care - I'm just so happy to find a series that isn't another Mafia show. Also, it takes place in Mantova which is pretty cool.

2) Curon. It takes place in Trentino (northern Italy near the border with Austria) where they speak German as their dialetto instead of Italian. I was getting really confused at first when they started interjecting German sentences here and there until I realized what was happening. Luckily, that doesn't happen too frequently. The 2nd season should be coming out soon. It's a sort of supernatural/dark creepy show... hard to explain but I thought season 1 was pretty good.
5 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:02 pm

2022 Goals

Italian
Full focus on Italian for consolidation and conoscere meglio la cultura italiana. I want to go deeper.

Reading/ listening with a little of grammar.
Reading – 2+ hours/day
Read - 40 books
2 newspaper articles/day

Listening - - 1+ hour/day of films/Youtubes /lectures

New Anki cards - L2>L1 No. 6
At 85 % efficiency, it would be ~1800 learned words.

French - Anki listening maintenance only.

It would not be a good idea to split my forces during this journey. Learning one language is more than enough
No need to plan it since it will not happen until 2023.

PolishAnki listening maintenance.

Develop a Polish Simple Sentence Anki deck.
Need a routine to sustain B1-listening and A2-speaking skill levels.
This is more than enough for my short visits to Gdansk.
Maybe reading aloud a travel vocabulary book would be enough.
Last edited by lusan on Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:07 pm

StringerBell wrote:I know what you mean about dubbed series being easy while native series are still challenging. I have the same issue.

There are 2 Italian originals on Netflix that are available in the US. I'm not sure if you've watched either of them-

1) The Trial (Il Processo). From what I can tell, it seems to sort of be like Twin Peaks/The Killing in that it's a murder mystery that opens with the death of a teenage girl and as we slowly learn more about her life, not all is as it seems. I can't figure out why the state lawyer/DA seems to be acting as the main detective instead of the police. They could have a plumber investigating the death for all I care - I'm just so happy to find a series that isn't another Mafia show. Also, it takes place in Mantova which is pretty cool.

2) Curon. It takes place in Trentino (northern Italy near the border with Austria) where they speak German as their dialetto instead of Italian. I was getting really confused at first when they started interjecting German sentences here and there until I realized what was happening. Luckily, that doesn't happen too frequently. The 2nd season should be coming out soon. It's a sort of supernatural/dark creepy show... hard to explain but I thought season 1 was pretty good.

Thanks. I began watching RAI films. I split long films into 40-50 min segments. There a bunch of movies from 50-60 available for free n Youtube.

Felice anno nuovo!
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 am

Oggi ho finito di leggere il primo libro dell'anno 2022:

L'uomo con lo zainetto di Luigi Schifitto. - 283 pag - 99+ efficency

E un giallo molto divertente e facile. Non ho avuto nessun problema con lui perchè ho capito più di 99 percento delle parole.
Tuttavia, credo che sarebbe meglio leggere i libri molto più dificile. Bene, è ancora una buena partenza.

Method
I read 2 hours/day. The first hour, in the morning, in alta voce, and the second hour, in the evening, in silence.
Reading aloud is a good pronunciation practice that I hope mi aiutarà a parlare italiano.
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 pm

Italian
L’odio di una mente diabolica – Yuri Giangrande . - 392 pag

Este libro me gustó mucho ya que el autor presenta un retrato psicológico molto complesso y emotivo del personaje principal e incluye expresiones interesantes. Espero leer más libros de él. Los eventos suceden en Venezia, lo que me ha inspirado a considerar esta ciudad como un lugar atractivo que quisiese visitar, though I hope to avoid the millones de turistas – mejor solo la visito through YouTube!
I reduced my 2022 Reading Italian target to 30 books. I need to allocate time to French and English.

French
I began everyday to listen las noticias desde Francia a través de Franceinfo. The first days I was a little down because I discovered un po' the degradation of French listening skills. Though, after 1 week, it is coming back. So I am happy.

I am thinking that maybe I have a new goal of reading at least 1 French book/month as well as implementing some of the approaches that I found so effective to elevate il Italiano from nothing to B1-B2 skills. Of course, I am not planning to write in French, but I think that reading aloud everyday would be very good as per my italian experience. So I began to review la pronunciation francesa. No intensive work will began till this summer -June/July.

I am considering going through -AGAIN- Assimil, but this time only listening and repeating – maybe using WorkAudioBook as a repetition tool. When? I am not sure yet, but probably after my next European trip.
4 x

lusan
Green Belt
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Italian

3. Un ristretto in tazza grande – Riccardo Ranieri, Vol 1 . - 266 pag.

A well written book, though not of my liking. The writer keeps bring up his humor. It is supposed to be un giallo! For me, it was a travesty the dealing with the main character always making fun. It really messed up la tension and the atmosphere that I expect from un giallo. I suppose that some people might like it.

I adjusted my reading aloud to 30 min/day, perché divento stanco.

I am still trying to get the Italian news but there is so much politics and Covid that it is really boring. So I moved away from national news and started visiting the RAI local news. Maybe I get lucky and I find a Regional Telegiornale che mi piacia.

Of course, I could get Italian news from a online paper but that would not be a listening practice.

French

I began a book in French. I feel that I cannot hold back the desire to jump back into the language, but I am very concern about the pronunciation. So I will be looking into hiring an Italki tutor to help me out. The idea is to review French pronunciation and then to incorporate reading aloud in my French reading routine.

I need to start speaking French.

I really love FranceInfo news.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”