Re: Yuurei's Language Log (ZH, KO, FR, JA, ES) [Now with more LR]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Yuurei's Language Log (LA, ES, FR, JA) [TAC 2016]

Postby Elenia » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Can you email the teacher of the Greek class, perhaps?

And Finnish... even I'm feeling the pressure. Two months before my Swedish exam was probably a bad time to pick up a new, almost entirely opaque language. :roll: But I have no problem with just crawling along in Finnish for the time being. And I also have no problem setting aside German for the time being either...
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:48 am

My problem is that I don't want to set aside German or Spanish and I'm at that place where I'm trying to get over the intermediate hump in both, so they really should get some intense study. Also, since I was dumb enough to start the log thread for Finnish, I've kind of ended up like a leader and then I feel like I have to do stuff. But since everyone is going pretty slowly, maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it.
3 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Elenia wrote:Can you email the teacher of the Greek class, perhaps?

I was going to say that I unfortunately don't have his e-mail address, but then earlier tonight he went and invited me to a WhatsApp group for our Greek course(!), so that should facilitate the communication. :lol:

Elenia wrote:And Finnish... even I'm feeling the pressure. Two months before my Swedish exam was probably a bad time to pick up a new, almost entirely opaque language. :roll: But I have no problem with just crawling along in Finnish for the time being. And I also have no problem setting aside German for the time being either...

Yeah, I am very much unwilling to set aside any of my other languages in favor of Finnish, not even Dutch, which I have no reason to learn, other than that I find it cute...
Me: *stares accusingly at Dutch*
Dutch: *is its usual cute self*
Me: Yep, nevermind. Forget I said anything. :roll:

Still, I'm having a hard time letting go of Finnish. :/
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:22 pm

Hang on! I was frog marched into Finnish. I was happily wasting away my days reading French & Italian, puttering about with a little Esperanto and playing with Mandarin, when you all came along and dragged me kicking and screaming to Finnish. So you all stop your whining and get back on the Finnish sled, and get with the program! :evil:

Yritä. tee ... tai ei. Ei yritä.
Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.

To paraphrase The Terminator: I'm speaking Finnish, come with me if you want to live. :mrgreen:
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 am

rdearman wrote:Hang on! I was frog marched into Finnish. I was happily wasting away my days reading French & Italian, puttering about with a little Esperanto and playing with Mandarin, when you all came along and dragged me kicking and screaming to Finnish. So you all stop your whining and get back on the Finnish sled, and get with the program! :evil:

Yritä. tee ... tai ei. Ei yritä.
Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.

To paraphrase The Terminator: I'm speaking Finnish, come with me if you want to live. :mrgreen:

You're in trouble now, Yuurei. This man has the power to ban you.

Actually though, I think rdearman is enjoying Finnish more than anyone.
4 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:34 am

Finnish is one of my favorite languages to dabble in. Join the dabble squad, throw away your chains! lol
2 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:42 am

Okay, maybe I won't drop Finnish, even though I clearly have no time to learn it. D:
I'll simply have to figure out how to make it work... :V

In other news, Tadoku is going well (I started reading Pride & Prejudice this weekend! <3 ), even though I'm a bit afraid of running out of comprehensible Latin texts before I reach my 1000 pages :?

Current stats: 476 pages read
*Finished Harrius Potter et camera secretorum (from page 61)
*Read Ursus nomine Paddington
*Read 18 pages of Carmen ad Festum Nativitatis (still too difficult :cry: )
*Read 11 pages of the Tirocinium Caesarianum (our regularly scheduled reading)
*Read 83 pages of Superbia et Odium

Weekly Goals for Week 40 (2016) - All done \o/

Latin
*Tadoku: Read 125 pages [Read a total of 381 pages]
*Listen to ep. 9 of Quomodo dicitur (20 mins)

Spanish
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Sobrenatural T2 ep. 11-12]

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Psych S3 ep. 16 & S4 ep. 1]
*Read 100 pages [Sang-Pitié]

Japanese
*Watch 60 minutes of anime/drama [Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ep. 11-12, Yuri on Ice ep. 1]

Other stuff I did:
French: Watched Person of Interest ep. 8-18.
Japanese: Read Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Vol. 4.
Dutch: L+R*'d 1h 40 mins of Aanpakken!.

Weekly Goals for Week 41 (2016)

Latin
*Tadoku: Read 175 pages
*Listen to ep. 10 of Quomodo dicitur

Spanish
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film

French
*Finish reading Sang-pitié (125 pages)

Japanese
*Watch 60 minutes of anime/drama
0 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:48 am

Tadoku update:
So, as of today I have 751 pages read this Tadoku, meaning I probably don't need to worry about meeting my (updated) goal of 1000 pages. On the oher hand, I think I'm going to take it a bit slower this week because I'm feeling a tiny bit burned out and also, I have no idea what to read next. D:

Current stats: 751 pages read
*Finished Harrius Potter et camera secretorum (from page 61)
*Read Ursus nomine Paddington
*Read 36 pages of Carmen ad Festum Nativitatis (still kinda difficult :/ )
*Read 11 pages of the Tirocinium Caesarianum (pretty much put on hold right now)
*Read Superbia et Odium *__*
*Read the Ørberg edition of Plautus' Amphitryo

And all this sudden reading means that I actually met my Latin reading goal for 2016: 7 readers/books read! \o/

Weekly Goals for Week 41 (2016) - All done \o/

Latin
*Tadoku: Read 175 pages [Read 272 pages]
*Listen to ep. 10 of Quomodo dicitur (19 mins)

Spanish
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Luke Cage ep. 1-2]

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Psych S4 ep. 2-3]
*Finish reading Sang-pitié (125 pages)

Japanese
*Watch 60 minutes of anime/drama [FMB ep. 13-14, ユーリ!!! ep. 2]

Other stuff I did:
Finnish: Assimil unit 19-20; Part of Suomen Mestari 1, unit 1; Watched Tangled (with Eng. subs)

Weekly Goals for Week 42 (2016)

Latin
*Tadoku: Read 175 pages
*Listen to ep. 11 of Quomodo dicitur

Spanish

French

Japanese
*Watch 80 minutes of anime/drama
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:31 pm

I haven't got a clue where has Greek come from (first Expug tempts me, and LT and the nice French based resources,and now you are discussing it). Really. Ladies, you are gonna be my doom :-D With all your temptations, I am very likely to fail miserably at everything at once. Or I shall arise victorious, as the "One Doctor to Speak Them All". :-D Hm. Perhaps finding myself a Tardis is a more realistic goal than successfully adding Greek and all your other follies to the mix. Why can't I simply have stronger will?

Yuurei, is Luke Cage good? I am considering watching the series in Italian (already watched Jessica Jones, now I am watching Daredevil). Italian suits the superheroes well. Btw, some scenes in Daredevil make me feel bad about not learning Japanese and/or Chinese :-D

And you are awesome at Finnish. But I am gonna catch up with you! (Perhaps one day)
2 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Cavesa wrote:I haven't got a clue where has Greek come from (first Expug tempts me, and LT and the nice French based resources,and now you are discussing it). Really.

Hah, for me Greek is one language where I actually know where it comes from - for a change. XD As opposed to, let's say, Finnish :lol:

Cavesa wrote:Ladies, you are gonna be my doom :-D With all your temptations, I am very likely to fail miserably at everything at once. Or I shall arise victorious, as the "One Doctor to Speak Them All". :-D Hm. Perhaps finding myself a Tardis is a more realistic goal than successfully adding Greek and all your other follies to the mix. Why can't I simply have stronger will?

Right back atcha! :D Don't forget to take me along when you find that Tardis!
For myself, at least, I think it's not (just) a matter of will power, but also a matter of motivation/priorities. I remember back when I was really into Japanese, I started low-key wanderlusting at some point, but mostly my interest in Japanese was so high that I was willing to sacrifice all those other languages at the altar of Japanese (for the time being, anyway). Now though, if you asked me whether Finnish is more important to me than Greek, or Greek than Chinese, or Chinese than Spanish etc. etc. I actually couldn't say. And in a way, that's sad, because I miss that burning passion I felt back then. But on the other hand I also enjoy being able to keep up with and improve in 4 languages at the same time (still working on getting that 5th one settled! XD) - something I found impossible for myself until just a year ago. And I do love all my languages (and then some), but the drawback is that it's harder to keep myself from giving in to the Wanderlust.

Cavesa wrote:Yuurei, is Luke Cage good? I am considering watching the series in Italian (already watched Jessica Jones, now I am watching Daredevil). Italian suits the superheroes well. Btw, some scenes in Daredevil make me feel bad about not learning Japanese and/or Chinese :-D

I honestly cannot say yet. I did like the first 2 eps, but I didn't really get drawn in yet - which doesn't mean anything, really, because with Jessica Jones I was really ambivalent about it until episode 3 or 4 (not quite sure which one it was), and then I fell in love with the series, so I'm definitely planning to continue.

Cavesa wrote:And you are awesome at Finnish. But I am gonna catch up with you! (Perhaps one day)

Hah, it's kind of you to say that. You must have missed those 2 weeks where I basically did nothing and seriously considered dropping the language for now. But funnily enough, after cutting myself some slack and taking off the pressure (of keeping up with the others, of being able to speak Finnish in some form or other by May, of getting through Assimil in a certain time frame, ...), I actually felt myself wanting to do Finnish again, so I decided to get the first volume of Suomen Mestari (for some variety in my Finnish learning - I'm just not cut out to following one resource religiously XD) and started working through an accompanying Memrise course - but at a leisurely pace. ;)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”