Re: Yuurei's Language Log (ZH, KO, FR, JA, ES) [Now with more LR]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Re: Yuurei's Language Log (LA, ES, FR, JA, ZH) [TAC 2016]

Postby Yuurei » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:24 am

So, well, everything's kinda gone to hell in the last few weeks. Life just got to me and for once I wasn't able to hold onto my weekly goals anymore, was unable to find that shred of will power that I desperately needed. I failed my week 47 goals, set some super low goals for week 48 and failed those as well. :/ After that I decided not to set any goals for week 49 and I'm not setting any for this week either - I need to take 2 steps back and re-orient myself, I think. No point in setting goals if I'm not confident that I'll actually meet them, after all.
On the plus side, I somehow managed to hold on to Chinese in these chaotic times - not in the organized and motivated way I might have hoped for, maybe, but just the fact that I could make myself review Chinese vocab and characters through it all seems like a pretty good sign to me. :) (I'll be honest - Skritter is damn addictive!) But while I made good progress on the vocab and character front, I've been horribly neglecting working on pronunciation and that is not good at all.

Weekly Goals for Week 47 (2016) - Incomplete (╯°▽°)╯ ┻━┻

Latin
*Read 30 pages [Re-read 10 pages of Harrius Potter et Camera Secretorum]

Spanish
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Grimm ep. 19-20]

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Psych S4 ep. 12-13]

Japanese
*Watch 80 minutes of anime/drama [Stepfather Step ep. 1]

Other stuff I did:
Japanese: Watched Stepfather Step ep. 2-4 & Yuri ep. 8.
Chinese: Skritter; Pinyin Practice; NPCR lesson 2 ; ep. 10-19 of Les Interprètes (w/ Eng. subs).

Weekly Goals for Week 48 (2016) - Incomplete (╯°▽°)╯ ┻━┻

Latin
*Read 10 pages [8 pages of Roma Aeterna; 2 pages of Caesaris Commentarii de Bello Gallico, Liber I]

Spanish
*Watch 40 minutes of TV/film

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Psych S4 ep. 14-15]

Japanese
*Watch 40 minutes of anime/drama

Chinese
*Skritter (30 min.)

Week 49 (2016) - No goals :|

Stuff I did:

Latin
*Read 7 pages of Roma Aeterna

Spanish
*Read 34 pages of Acosado
*Watched ep. 1-2 of Buffy

French
*Watched ep. 19-23 of Person of Interest

Japanese
*Watched eps. 9-10 of Yuri on ICE
*Read volume 7 of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Chinese:
*Skritter
Last edited by Yuurei on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:23 pm

Some weeks are like that. I think this is also a pretty hectic time of year and trying to squeeze in language time between everything else gets incredibly hard. You've still been keeping up the contact, so good on you!
1 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 am

Elenia wrote:Some weeks are like that. I think this is also a pretty hectic time of year and trying to squeeze in language time between everything else gets incredibly hard. You've still been keeping up the contact, so good on you!

Thanks for your kind words, they are much appreciated. :D

I'm happy to report that things have been going a lot better this week, although I'm still feeling particularly uninspired regarding Spanish - there's just nothing I want to read/watch/play in Spanish at the moment...
1 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 am

Damn, it's already Wednesday again. :roll:
This week went pretty well though and I decided to stay goalless 'till the end of the year, at least (with the exception that I'm aiming to have contact with all my languages every week, of course!). I suppose it's time for me to think about my plans for 2017 though. I'm thinking of focusing on Chinese (and Latin, to an extent) while putting the other languages in more of a maintenance mode, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet. Of course, these plans have a habit of not working out anyway - as I noticed this year when I did anything but concentrate on Spanish. XD

On a completely different note, I started playing Ace Attorney 6 last week. I do enjoy the game so far, when I'm not frustrated by the numerous, overbearing explanations and unnecessary flashbacks. I played the previous 5 installments, I know how to do this stuff. At least give me the chance to skip those pesky explanations. And also, I remember what people said literally less than 10 minutes ago very well, thank you very much. :x I don't remember the previous games being quite so obnoxious... Still, AA games always manage to draw me in sooner or later, so I'm optimistic. Any other Ace Attorney fans around here? :D

Week 50 (2016) - No goals :|

Stuff I did:

Latin
*Read 10 pages of Roma Aeterna

Spanish
*Watched ep. 21-22 of Grimm

French
*Watched ep. 1-6 of Person of Interest S2
*Watched ep. 16 of Psych S4

Japanese
*Watched ep. 11 of Yuri on ICE
*Watched ep. 406 of Detective Conan

Chinese:
*Skritter
*Background listening
*NPCR lesson 3
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Yuurei wrote:Still, AA games always manage to draw me in sooner or later, so I'm optimistic. Any other Ace Attorney fans around here? :D

I wouldn't call myself a fan but I remember having the first game in the series downloaded on my DS flashcart (shhh! :? ). I played a handful of cases and quite enjoyed it as I recall but I never finished it, nor did I play anything else in the series.
0 x

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Postby Sizen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Yuurei wrote: Any other Ace Attorney fans around here? :D

It's been ages since I touched one, but I played the first three back in middle/high school, and I've been meaning to get around to the more recent ones for a while. And now that they're available on iOS... I did just download Granblue Fantasy and Fate/Grand Order, though, so I don't think I'll be getting around to AA quite yet. :<
0 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Spoonary wrote:I wouldn't call myself a fan but I remember having the first game in the series downloaded on my DS flashcart (shhh! :? ). I played a handful of cases and quite enjoyed it as I recall but I never finished it, nor did I play anything else in the series.

Sizen wrote:It's been ages since I touched one, but I played the first three back in middle/high school, and I've been meaning to get around to the more recent ones for a while. And now that they're available on iOS... I did just download Granblue Fantasy and Fate/Grand Order, though, so I don't think I'll be getting around to AA quite yet. :<

What a sad turnout. :cry: (Or maybe I'm just too used to everyone around me being crazy about the games?? XD)
Well, in any case, I can heartily recommend the series (at least until game 5 - not too sure about 6 yet =X)
2 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Postby Yuurei » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:22 pm

In other news, the Christmas holidays are nearly over - and so is 2016, it seems. I was lazier than I would have liked over the holidays, but at least I managed to keep in contact with all my languages, so that's something. :)
I did decide to go back to my weekly goals from now on though - I don't think the no-goals approach is quite for me. Let's hope I can get back into it without any trouble. Also, January is Tadoku time, and I've decided to do another Japanese Tadoku. I'm aiming for (at least) 1500 pages this time - that's less than back in June, but I haven't really been reading these past few weeks, so ~50 pages a day seems challenging enough. :lol:

I'll postpone the review of 2016 and goals for 2017 to another day (especially since I haven't yet decided on said goals XD), but I can already say that I didn't manage to read my remaining 2 Spanish books this year, which makes me a bit sad. :cry: (On the other hand, I read quite a bit more than I'd originally planned this year, so it's certainly not all bad!)

Cheers & see you next year,
Yuurei

Week 51 (2016) - No goals :|

Stuff I did:

Latin
*Read 4 pages of Roma Aeterna [That's just sad, I know =X]

Spanish
*Read 39 pages of Medio Rey

French
*Watched ep. 7-9 of Person of Interest S2

Japanese
*Watched ep. 12 of Yuri on ICE

Chinese
*Skritter
*Background listening

Week 52 (2016) - No goals :|

Stuff I did:

Latin
*Read 31 pages of Roma Aeterna

Spanish
*Watched ep. 1 of Grimm T2

French
*Watched ep. 1-2 of Psych S5

Japanese
*Watched ep. 4-25 of One Outs

Chinese
*A tiny bit of Skritter [Somehow this is easier to slip in at work...]
*Background listening
*NPCR lesson 4

Weekly Goals for Week 1 (2017)

Latin
*Read 15 pages

Spanish
*Watch 40 minutes of TV/film

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film

Japanese
*Tadoku: Read 350 pages

Chinese
*NPCR lesson 5
4 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Re: Yuurei's Language Log (FR, JA, LA, ZH)

Postby Yuurei » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Soo, happy new year, everyone!

2016 in Review

Once upon a time, I set some language learning goals for 2016 ...
Yuurei wrote:Language learning goals for 2016

Spanish [TAC]:
*Work through Gramática de uso del español nivel B.
*Read 12 books.
*Establish the habit of thinking in Spanish several times a week.

Latin:
*Finish Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata: Familia Romana (incl. exercises) [chapters 24-35] (June 2016)
*Read 7 readers (e.g. Julia, Fabulae Faciles, Puer Romanus, Varius Libellus, Ciceronis Filius, Pons tironum, First Latin Reader)

French:
*Continue French Night
*Read 6 books

Well, that didn't go so well, I'd say. XD
Of the 7 goals I only met 4 - epically managing to fail all 3 of my Spanish goals, even though Spanish was supposed to be my focus in 2016. =x
It's really not as bad as it sounds, though, because I feel like I made a lot of progress in all my languages, easily surpassing my Latin goals especially and unexpectedly reviving my interest in Japanese again, which I am super happy about. Not to mention that (except for that sad period at the end of the year) I was really quite successful with my weekly goals - I have never before been so consistent with my language learning. Ever. Out of 52 weeks I did something in all my main languages (Spanish, Latin, French & Japanese) in at least 50 weeks! \o/

I meant to write something about the individual languages as well, but I've been procrastinating on that for 2 days now, so it's probably not gonna happen ever anytime soon.

Probably coming soon: An outlook for 2017!
5 x

Yuurei
Green Belt

Re: Yuurei's Language Log (FR, JA, LA, ZH)

Postby Yuurei » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:51 pm

We interrupt this broadcast for a weekly log entry. I meant to finish my review & outlook posts before this weekly log, but that didn't really work out. :/

Tadoku has been going really well so far - so well, in fact, that I decided to increase my goal to 2000 pages after all. :D
I've been reading Akagawa Jirou's Mikeneko Holmes mystery series, which I'm enjoying quite a lot. I finished the first novel last week and am now nearly done with the second one.

Otherwise, I've somehow managed to get addicted to jdramas (again). Someone send help!

Weekly Goals for Week 1 (2017) - All done \o/

Latin
*Read 15 pages [Roma Aeterna]

Spanish
*Watch 40 minutes of TV/film [Grimm T2 ep.2]

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film [Psych S5 ep. 3-4]

Japanese
*Watch 40 minutes of anime/drama [FMA:B ep. 21-22]
*Tadoku: Read 350 pages [510 pages read]

Chinese
*NPCR lesson 5

Other stuff I did:
Chinese: Skritter, Background listening
Japanese: Watched way too many jdrama episodes, but all with subs, since I was too lazy to try and find raw versions :oops:

Weekly Goals for Week 2 (2017)

Latin
*Read 15 pages

French
*Watch 80 minutes of TV/film

Japanese
*Tadoku: Read 450 pages

Chinese
*NPCR lesson 6
0 x

Return to “Language logs”