Walt's Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Re: Walt's Spanish log

Postby AllSubNoDub » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 pm

greatSchism wrote:Advanced vocab list on Spanishdict.com: 443/1000.

I feel like an amateur now, but I somehow had no idea these lists existed despite using spanishdict every day. Thanks for this!
1 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Studied but inactive: German (A2), Hungarian (A2), and French (A1)

Postby greatSchism » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:23 am

AllSubNoDub wrote:

I feel like an amateur now, but I somehow had no idea these lists existed despite using spanishdict every day. Thanks for this!

https://www.spanishdict.com/lists/506021/advanced

I would not consider all of the words on the list advanced, such as bilingüe, Nicaragua, ni, Guatemala, and many more. Many of the words seem to be filler. But, I use the app on the iPhone and I love being able to do the vocabulary list hands-free.
Last edited by greatSchism on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:34 am

I continued working on unit 17 today. I did not progress along as far as I would have liked. There are a few areas that I would like to spend more time with. When doing oral only courses, sometimes my mind will drift when doing drills. Especially when the material is not very challenging, or I am just not feeling it. I decided to listen to a couple of units while running. I started off doing very well, and then my mind started drifting. After 20 minutes or so, I decided to put music on. I had a hard time staying focused, but mostly I wanted to listen to music to help me bring up the intensity of my run.

Even though some phrases seem simple, I stutter over them due to previously learned sentence patterns.

“Qué tal les pareció”, I want to say “Qué les pareció.”

Excerpt From: Foreign Service Institute & Dicendi. “FSI Spanish Basic Course Level 2.” Dicendi, 2016. Apple Books. https://books.apple.com/us/book/fsi-spa ... 1121409961

Advanced vocab list on Spanishdict.com: 498/1000.
Last edited by greatSchism on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:32 am

greatSchism wrote:
AllSubNoDub wrote:

I would not consider all of the words on the list advanced, such as bilingüe, Nicaragua, ni, Guatemala, and many more. Many of the words seem to be filler. But, I use the app on the iPhone and I love being able to do the vocabulary list hands-free.

Yeah, there's something relaxing about going through the UI. I usually grind sentence cards in Anki, which is brutal (but makes me feel very satisfied at the end of the day when I see no cards due). These are kind of fund little "snacks" instead.

I was actually referring to the thematic lists. I can see them being useful for picking up quick vocab in areas that I don't have much reading interest in, e.g. business, sports, etc. Funny that the CEFR tests don't focus on stuff that I am interested in (like science), so I can see lists like these being useful for quickly reviewing and rounding off your knowledge for testing purposes.
2 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 am

AllSubNoDub wrote:
greatSchism wrote:
AllSubNoDub wrote:

Yeah, there's something relaxing about going through the UI. I usually grind sentence cards in Anki, which is brutal (but makes me feel very satisfied at the end of the day when I see no cards due). These are kind of fund little "snacks" instead.

I was actually referring to the thematic lists. I can see them being useful for picking up quick vocab in areas that I don't have much reading interest in, e.g. business, sports, etc. Funny that the CEFR tests don't focus on stuff that I am interested in (like science), so I can see lists like these being useful for quickly reviewing and rounding off your knowledge for testing purposes.

Spanishdict thematic lists are well organized, and they have a ton of material. The UI is nice, and most of the words have images or gifs which gives it some life. Their voice recognition software on the iPhone app is fairly accurate. It would be nice if the Anki iPhone app had an auto-play or voice recognition feature. I am doing the FSI Spanish Basic Course Volume 1-4. I started doing the Anki top 5000 words but took a break from it when I started FSI Deck.
4 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm

I had a meeting this morning in Philadelphia, and I listened to Unit 17 for 30 minutes while driving there. It was nice to do more drills, but I had to make some phone calls on my way there, which made my review short. I will review my Anki deck tonight, and tomorrow I will move on to unit 18.
3 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:57 pm

This morning I had an iTalki chat for the first time in 3 weeks from 7 to 8 AM. It was with my usual partner whom I have had over 100 chats before, so I enjoyed it since I hadn't seen her for some time. Usually, I schedule a chat every week for an hour. However, I have done 30-day challenges several times with her in the past 1.5 years. Afterward, I drove to a lake near my house to run. On my drive, I did the dialogue from unit 18. Then on my run, I did 2 more rounds of the dialogue, which took about 30 minutes, before switching to music for the last 30 minutes of my run.
4 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:39 am

Today I continued working on unit 18, which introduces the imperfect tense. I feel comfortable conjugating verbs and know the basic usage. My problem is that sometimes I use the wrong tense in conversation, so I want to spend the rest of the week drilling the sentence patterns.
5 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:54 pm

I continued working on unit 18 today and spent one-hour doing drills. Today wasn't the most productive day for me in general. I just felt like I needed a little bit of a break. So, I watched another episode of the Iberian Spanish series Valeria. I still have difficulty understanding what they're saying, but I can fill in the gaps with the subtitles. When I listen to podcasts in Iberian Spanish for intermediate students, I can understand them reasonably well. But, they talk slow and on my level. All of my main material is in Mexican Spanish.
3 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:04 am

greatSchism wrote:“Qué tal les pareció”, I want to say “Qué les pareció.”

Aunque conste que las dos oraciones significan casi lo mismo, prácticamente lo mismo. :D Hmm... Qué tal les pareció. How was it? Qué les pareció. What do you think of it?

AllSubNoDub wrote:I was actually referring to the thematic lists. I can see them being useful for picking up quick vocab in areas that I don't have much reading interest in, e.g. business, sports, etc. Funny that the CEFR tests don't focus on stuff that I am interested in (like science), so I can see lists like these being useful for quickly reviewing and rounding off your knowledge for testing purposes.

Iversen alguna vez hizo la excelente observación de que el CEFR (...MCER...) parece haber sido creado teniendo en mente las necesidades de los políticos europeos, con enfoque en habilidades argumentativas...
1 x

Return to “Language logs”