Walt's Spanish log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
greatSchism
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1)
Studied but inactive: German (A2), Hungarian (A2), and French (A1)

Re: Walt's Spanish log

Postby greatSchism » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:44 am

I worked on unit 15 today and will repeat it tomorrow. I met an older Puerto Rican woman today and had a 15 min conversation in Spanish about the different Puerto Rican restaurants in the neighborhood. I love getting people's perspectives about restaurants that serve food from their home countries. Somehow the conversation steered to which restaurant has the best habichuelas guisadas. I thought the whole Spanish beans thing was just a cliche; this is not the case. She also went into detail on how she makes them at home. I just humored her, but I am not a fan of beans.
2 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:17 am

I am still working on unit 15.

In unit 15.22, I am missing something in the translation, and not sure if it is me or a typo. The ebook says, "el señor Molina nos ha comprado los muebles," which is translating as "Mr. Miranda has bought the furniture from us." Google translate is translating it as "Mr. Molina has bought us the furniture."

There is another sentence, "yo les ha comprado el sofa-cama," which the ebook translates as "I have bought the sofa bed from them." Why isn't it "I have bought them the sofa-bed?"
Last edited by greatSchism on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:02 am

Unit 15 has a drill on paired sentences. That might clear things up a bit. 15.21.22.

The questions I see in your log are good. I ask myself the same ones. :)
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:38 am

luke wrote:Unit 15 has a drill on paired sentences. That might clear things up a bit. 15.21.22.

The questions I see in your log are good. I ask myself the same ones. :)

Thanks, I am using the ebook on Apple books, and it is missing the notes. I just downloaded the original pdf and see that "To, for, and from can aIl be translated by the Spanish indirect clitic."

In this section one pronoun object (expressed by an indirect clitic) and one noun object appear, controlled by the same verbo
Notice that the indirect relationship of Spanish is expressed in English with object pronouns in two positions: alone after a verb: 'He writes us a letter every day'; or with the relater 'to': 'He sent the book to os'. Notice also that the indirect clitic construction in Spanish translates several English relators other than 'to'; they seem to mean quite different things in English, though they are classified as similar by their common participation in the Spanish indirect clitic construction:H e brings the books to me'; He carries the suitcase for me';'He's buyinp; the car from me'. To, for, and from can aIl be translated by the Spanish indirect clitic.
1 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:48 pm

I was traveling today and had a 6am flight. I did 1 hour of unit 15, and will repeat It tomorrow.

The second portion of the flight I watched “Como Agua Para Chocolate”, which was entertaining.
I could understand 80%+ of the movie without subtitles. The subtitles were baked in, so I covered the bottom portion of my iPad. I know it is based on a book, and while it was entertaining I would not want to read it because it is not my style.
1 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:41 am

I worked on unit 15 and still feel like I could do better. My goal is to repeat the content with the same speed and clarity as to the original. So, I will repeat Variation Drill 1, 2, and 3 during my afternoon walk and tomorrow morning. I think that I am not fast enough and feel like I am too hesitant and tongue-tied.

Advanced vocab list on Spanishdict.com: 336/1000.

Books I am reading on LingQ:

El Innocente, by Michael Connelly
El Visitante by Stephen King

I read a few pages (1-2) of each every day. My Lingq level is at 4256 known words; however, it would be much lower if they were to exclude cognates.
6 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 am

I worked on unit 15 this morning. There is one detail that I was curious about and it is the use of "de que" vs "que". I found a good article about this subject.

Estar seguro should always be followed by the preposition de, but it is commonly omitted in spoken Spanish. This is probably partly due to the confusion with seguro used as an adverb (without estar), which doesn't take the preposition de. Note: as an adjective seguro agrees with the noun; this is not the case when used as an adverb.

-Estoy seguro/segura de que vas a ganar — I'm sure you'll win ['Estoy seguro/segura que vas a ganar' is common but incorrect]

→Seguro que vas a ganar — You're sure/bound to win ['Seguro vas a ganar' is also heard, especially in Latin America]

→→Vas a ganar seguro —You're going to win for sure / You're definitely going to win

https://www.espanolavanzado.com/gramati ... seguro-que

In "Variation drill 1", one sentence is “Estoy seguro de que a usted no lo van a mandar.” My initial reaction was to translate “I'm sure they're not going to send you.” as "Estoy seguro que no van a mandarlo."
Last night I finished 'La casa de papel' temporada 5, it was strictly for entertainment. I found myself looking at the Subtitle more than 50% of the time.
2 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:35 am

I started Unit 16, and I am going to spend a few days with it.

Grammar points:

1. "le lo" becomes "se lo". I have yet to use either in conversation.

2. Aqui vs aca - I thought they had the same meaning.
acá and a very similar item /akí/ aquí, in many occurrences such as this one it may rightly be pointed out that /aká/ means 'around here, in this general area, hereabouts' as against / akí/ which means 'right here, in this specific area.'

3. Clitic doubling still feels weird to me and I have only used them in conversation a few times to really emphasize something.

A mi me gusta...
A ti te parece...

https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/i.e.mackenzie/clitics.htm
https://www.lawlessspanish.com/grammar/ ... -pronouns/

Advanced vocab list on Spanishdict.com: 443/1000.
Conjugation Drills on Spanishdict.com: 10 words

I have also been doing Anki FSI deck at night for a few minutes, and I am on unit 11. My goal is to help retain what I have been learning.

Throughout the day I will read a few pages of my books on LingQ and read a few articles on https://cnnespanol.cnn.com.

El Innocente, by Michael Connelly
El Visitante by Stephen King

Fitness:
I run for 1-hour followed by a 30-minute swim.
4 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:24 am

I was traveling again today and had a 6 AM flight. I listen to the FSI with my Airpods pros on noise-canceling mode. Unfortunately, today a mother with two very young children sat behind me. Most adults aren't exactly chipper at 5:30 AM when boarding starts, let alone two and three-year-olds. From the moment I sat in the seat, one of the children started crying, and the other was kicking my seat's back.

Despite having the noise canceling turned on, I could still hear this child crying for hours on end. Initially, I thought the kid would eventually tire himself out and fall back to sleep because it was so early. This was not the case! He cried and cried, and I did the best I could not yell at the mother to soothe the poor kids.

One thing that remains the same as when FSI unit 16 was written in the 1950s: "A Cadillac is more expensive than a Buick." Do people even drive Buicks these days?

I am going to repeat parts of unit 16, mainly Variation Drill 3. I still mix up imperfect and preterite tenses in conversation, and "estuve", along with "estaba" and "era" are easy to mix up. My default is to use "estaba", which is incorrect, and I need to focus on this area quite a bit.
2 x

greatSchism
Yellow Belt

Postby greatSchism » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:11 pm

Yesterday, I finished Unit 16. Today I drilled the Dialogs for Unit 17 several times, and on my ride, I went through the rest of the unit only once. I am fine conjugating the verbs, so I am not going to spend too much time with this unit.

I started watching Netflix's 'El Club', which is a Mexican series about rich people selling drugs in Mexico city. I do not love it, but I will watch a few more episodes if I am bored. Also, this weekend I need to catch up on Anki, and my books on LingQ.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”