Expug's 2021 Log - Language learning is dead, long live language learning!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Vordhosbn
Orange Belt
Languages: English, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=194185

Re: Expug's 2021 Log - Language learning is dead, long live language learning!

Postby Vordhosbn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Good to see you back, Expug, even if only for a few moments! You say your Georgian is deteriorating, but given how intensively you've studied it over the last ten years or so, is it not just some rustiness that could be fixed in a few weeks? You're one of the few people who covered much of the material that's out there (a rare accomplishment in my estimation!), so I wouldn't be surprised if you could rehabilitate it in short order. At any rate, I'm happy to see you're doing well and keeping busy!
5 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Vordhosbn wrote:Good to see you back, Expug, even if only for a few moments! You say your Georgian is deteriorating, but given how intensively you've studied it over the last ten years or so, is it not just some rustiness that could be fixed in a few weeks? You're one of the few people who covered much of the material that's out there (a rare accomplishment in my estimation!), so I wouldn't be surprised if you could rehabilitate it in short order. At any rate, I'm happy to see you're doing well and keeping busy!

My Georgian hasn't reached a solid B2 yet so it's not just rustiness. I need to consolidate vocabulary at that level so I can finally reach a point of higher retention. I have yet to get used to the perfect screeve. Given the existing material, I don't think it would be effective to review textbooks. I'd rather keep doing native material - good translations and series with subtitles at a high comprehension level - so as to keep improving. I don't benefit from app learning the way I do for other languages so that's why it keeps languishing. Well, that said, I'm sure I can remember whatever I have seen often enough and that would take a few weeks to reach my previous level, indeed. It's not that some words will look totally 'unseen' now.
5 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:38 pm

Language learning is happening, even if slowly. I'm getting the hang of Turkish, Catalan and Swedish. I only lack exposition to texts, so I can't even talk in terms of CEFR. The sentence method can only take you so far. I'm doing at least 5-6 languages on Duolingo most of the days.

The language I want to make the most progress at is Indonesian. I noticed some sort of bouncewave effect when I resumed 1000 most common and 2000 most common at Clozemaster. I get the feeling that I only need to brush up my vocabulary before bringing the language to a useful level. I'm not looking forward to travelling to Indonesia or such by now but I'd really love to know about that culture.

I really miss Guarani. I have reached a little further, especially in terms of grammar, but I don't have another app to keep learning it from.

Other than that, I keep improving my Mandarin through attending classes and translating.
10 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 pm

Time to wrap up this which is my shortest log ever. It's been a year where language learning was limited to Duolingo, but it's going up slow and steady. I'm starting to form sentences in Turkish, and I'm starting to read in Romanian. Catalan and Swedish are going a bit more slowly, while the Greek course is too demanding on vocabulary and it hasn't helped much. i'm optimistic about Indonesian.

January is slow at translation work, but I'm still attending some courses and I don't envisage any desk study time in the future. My languages which are decaying are Georgian, Estonian and Hebrew, which I do nothing about. I'm attending Chinese classes but progress is also slow at 1 hour a week, no time for watching dramas with double subtitles.

All in all, languages are still there but they don't seem to take the lead anymore.
13 x

Return to “Language logs”