Nina's Irish Learning Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Nina
Languages: French (native), English (almost fluent), Irish (beginner)

Nina's Irish Learning Log

Postby Nina » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:50 pm

Hello everyone,

my name is Nina. I am French. I can speak English even if it's not perfect and I am now trying to learn Irish. I was trained to be an English teacher (as a foreign language) and have been a teacher for 2 classes of high school students for 4 months then quit for some reasons. It is nice to become a teacher again, although this time I am both the teacher and the student.

As I learn Irish on my own, I try to use diverse resources so that I can learn both the pronunciation and the writing. Unfortunately, for now I don't have a structured plan, so I'll see where it leads me. In addition to learning the language, I am interested in Irish history.

I tried Duolingo, as most beginners probably do, but I don't find it extremely effective and think it is a bit of a waste of time. I keep it mainly for some vocabulary, but that's it, although I don't hate it either. I think it can be a decent starting point as long as you know its limits and compensate with other resources.

I bought the part 1 of Buntús Cainte although for now I haven't used it a lot, so I don't have an opinion yet. I do plan to use it though, I just don't want to get overwhelmed by rushing.

I bought a textbook for children that could be useful too to practice the oral understanding and talking more easily and get used to the sounds. Grown-up TV shows are still overwhelming of course, even with subtitles.

I watch Saol faoi Shráid a children TV show on TG4 with subtitles, first i try to understand the general meaning just as an introduction, then I translate the subtitles with a dictionnary and grammar book, and try to understand the way the sentence was built and add notes. Finally I rewatch the TV show and try to remember the way the sentence was built and to associate the audio with the subtitles. I also watch Bia Linn but there are only English subtitles, so I force myself to be more active in my listening

I plan to read very simple children books and try find videos of someone reading the book to once again have the audio, then to translate it. I already did it with a very very simple book and I thought it was rather useful

With all these resources, I add each new word and sentences in Anki, with the audio. I don't know if it's effective but I like to have a mix of words and sentences, so that I start getting used to the way sentences are built. I repeat each word while using Anki

For now my plan is just to catch up with what I've seen, as my first days were even more disorganized. And then I'll try to make a weekly schedule to be sure to stay focus, not waste my time and find a good balance between audio, writing, vocabulary and reviews.
11 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Nina's Irish Learning Log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello Nina, and welcome to the forum.

How nice to see another learner of the Irish language! Galaxyrocker is one member who speaks Irish - log here. Sfuqua has used Buntus Cainte to some extent. And I have used a number of resources, including Duolingo (feel free to visit my log as well).

Again, welcome!
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Nina

Postby Nina » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:40 pm

Thanks, I'll check them out. It's always good to get inspiration from people who already have experience
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:58 pm

Fáilte romhat a Nina! Welcome to the forum! As Jeff said, it's always nice to see new people here learning Irish. Buntús Cainte is a good source, one of the best for learners that isn't too heavy (in the ways that Learning Irish and the original TYI can be). I don't know if you use Memrise, but there is a good Memrise course with it too.

I absolutely agree with you on Duolingo, and think it's worse for Irish than other languages for several reasons we don't need to delve into, but I am glad you've found some good stuff. Please let me know if there's anything I can help you with. Oh, and if you're on Discord I can link to two good servers -- one that'll get you exposure to Irish and the other that will answer any grammar question you could have and then some, and direct you towards other high quality resources.

Aríst, fáilte romhat, tá muid sásta go bhfuil tú anseo! Welcome again, we're happy that you're here.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, Nina! You have been welcomed by two of the forum's most dedicated and long-term Irish learners. They are well equipped to help you along the way.
5 x

Nina

Postby Nina » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 am

Thank you very much everyone. I skimmed through the logs and discovered plenty of interesting resources. I am going to try using Vifax, it seems to be an amazing website. I have read an interesting article about how to use Vifax at any level, so for now I am mainly going to focus on the pronunciation / listening.

Gramadach na Gaeilge seems to be very useful too. I was searching for a good grammar resource so that's perfect.

Thanks @galaxyrocker , I would be interested in having the links for the two Discord server. I am already on one, Craic le Gaeilge, although I must admit that I visited it once and was intimidated and never read it again (for now). Although I haven't even been learning Irish for a month yet so that is perfectly normal to be lost I think.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:40 pm

Nina wrote:Thank you very much everyone. I skimmed through the logs and discovered plenty of interesting resources. I am going to try using Vifax, it seems to be an amazing website. I have read an interesting article about how to use Vifax at any level, so for now I am mainly going to focus on the pronunciation / listening.

That's my article! Glad you were able to find it useful.

Gramadach na Gaeilge seems to be very useful too. I was searching for a good grammar resource so that's perfect.
If you can speak/read German the German version is actually even better.

, I would be interested in having the links for the two Discord server. I am already on one, Craic le Gaeilge, although I must admit that I visited it once and was intimidated and never read it again (for now). Although I haven't even been learning Irish for a month yet so that is perfectly normal to be lost I think.

Craic le Gaeilge was one of them, but the other is called Celtic Languages. They do weekly reading groups (which are super useful, even if you just sit) as well as weekly lessons, though they're within a month of finishing up the current book and I don't know if more will start afterwards. But it's really great about answering questions and such. Here's the link: https://discord.gg/3YjWzcw4
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:03 am

Fáilte romhat chuig an bhfóram! (Welcome to the forum!)

It's always great to see a new Irish language log spring up among the clover. And following iguanamon's endorsement, I recommend reading through some of Jeff's excellent posts on learning Irish (his visits to the Gaeltacht are particularly inspiring), and galaxyrocker is pretty much the godfather of Irish language learning both here and over on Reddit and has generously done so very much to promote the language online.

As for myself, I'm an Irish citizen, and merely dabble from time to time in the language. However I did compile a list of Irish language learning resources over a decade ago. I imagine most of the links are probably dead by now and many of the resources no longer available, but there might just be something glinting in a corner of this dusty old chest that could help you along in your journey.

Ádh mór a Nina! (Good luck, Nina!)
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Now that Teango mentioned my visits to the Gaeltacht, I realized those occured before I joined Llorg, which means that I posted most of that information on the HTLAL - log here.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”